REJUVINATING THE FORUM - ANY IDEAS? ? ? ? ? ?
    Bob G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

REJUVINATING THE FORUM - ANY IDEAS? ? ? ? ? ?

by Bob G » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:59 pm

One of the appeals of "digital SLR forum", for me anyway, is that it is what I would call a boutique style forum.

It is easy to get lost in some of the bigger forums like "Australian Photography" because of the sheer volume of posts that are generated there and also the time required to get to know the regulars and become part of it.

I guess that's part of the reason why many of you wanted this forum to continue i.e. because you had become known here and got to know others.

However, the amount of current daily activity on the forum is probably insufficient to satisfy the needs of most.

In this regard we probably need a membership drive to win back inactive members and generate some new ones.

This should result in more activity which in turn would provide a wider level of experience and diversity as well as some newbies to mentor.

SO POST UP YOUR IDEAS IN THIS THREAD EVERYBODY AND LET'S SEE IF WE CAN GENERATE SOME ACTIVITY.

Remember - if we ain't growing - then we are slowly dying.
    Bob
    "Wake up and smell the pixels!"
  • rbmorley

by rbmorley » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:23 pm

Maybe get the Mods to send out an email to everyone that has signed up reminding them of the good things DigitalSLR has to offer. Some people may have jumped ship early and may not be aware its still running.
    GeoffM
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by GeoffM » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:24 pm

Bob

I agree whole heartedly with your comments regarding this forum and Australian Photography.

Current participation is very low at present and has declined even further since the closure was announced. Rejuvination and a fresh approach is required to ensure continued success of my favoured forum that being DigitalSLR.

I will give some thought to your request for ideas to increase and encourage activity and post my ideas here soon.
    Fuji | X-Pro1 | XE-1 | XT-1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com
    http://xtographer.weebly.com
    Bob G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by Bob G » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:26 pm

rbmorley wrote:Maybe get the Mods to send out an email to everyone that has signed up reminding them of the good things DigitalSLR has to offer. Some people may have jumped ship early and may not be aware its still running.

That sounds like a good start - maybe with some added incentive to return to being active.
    Bob
    Bob G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by Bob G » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:27 pm

GeoffM wrote:Bob

I agree whole heartedly with your comments regarding this forum and Australian Photography.

Current participation is very low at present and has declined even further since the closure was announced. Rejuvination and a fresh approach is required to ensure continued success of my favoured forum that being DigitalSLR.

I will give some thought to your request for ideas to increase and encourage activity and post my ideas here soon.

That's the spirit mate = good on you.
    Bob
  • Dunnart

by Dunnart » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:52 pm

Hi Bob

I think something is needed. Many of us, me included, discovered Ausphotography when the demise of this site was announced. The site wasn't extremely busy before then and certainly seems lower since the closure announcement. I am guilty here as I very rarely post any photos.

A couple of things which occur to me in terms of the site look and function are
    1. PLEASE don't change the colour scheme of the site. I love the grey on grey - its very easy to read and is a great background colour for viewing photos. The green and darker grey of Ausphotography is very hard to look at.

2. Dpreview has just introduced same navigation keys to their forum which I think are terrific. I haven't looked and played with them all, but the few I've looked at seem to work well. I like the preview pane which shows your post without having to go to a separate web page.

I'm sure we are all polygamous when it comes to forum reading, so I don't see any reason why we can't invite forum members at say Ausphotography to come and look in on this forum. Kiwi did a great job getting us to look at Ausphotography, maybe he (or someone else who hs been an active member there for a while) could post a topic inviting people to look in on DigitalSLR.

Anyway, just a few quick thoughts for consideration
    cheers

Steve
    Ozzieimages
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ozzieimages » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:57 pm

How do people find out about this site, is it by word of mouth, do we advertise anywhere, do we let the general photographer population know we are alive???

I have spoken to many photographers about this site and you know what, they have never heard of us, what about puting up some info sheets in camera stores, studio lighting shops, picture framing shops, camera clubs, photographic magazines. No one will join us if they don't know we exist....

I know some of these ideas will cost a dollar or two, but maybe a small donation from enough people will cover this.

We gotta spread the word and the word is digitalSLR.com.au

Baz
    live well, laugh often, love much
    Bob G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by Bob G » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:30 pm

Dunnart wrote:Hi Bob

I think something is needed. Many of us, me included, discovered Ausphotography when the demise of this site was announced. The site wasn't extremely busy before then and certainly seems lower since the closure announcement.

I'm sure we are all polygamous when it comes to forum reading, so I don't see any reason why we can't invite forum members at say Ausphotography to come and look in on this forum. Kiwi did a great job getting us to look at Ausphotography, maybe he (or someone else who hs been an active member there for a while) could post a topic inviting people to look in on DigitalSLR.
    Anyway, just a few quick thoughts for consideration

I know that I have at times posted on other overseas forums and rec'd PM's inviting me to post on other forums. It isn't my place to make any decisions here but It won't hurt to generate some good ideas for the new team to cosider
    Bob
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:31 pm

As one of the Admins I can guarantee that any good, feasible ideas will be considered. I think however we should start with ideas that don't involve a lot of capital outlay.

Unless I win the Lotto tonight, then all bets are off :D

Dale
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:33 pm

more photos

more comments

maybe some themed challenges? A while ago when Sir T put up the Glamour comp there was some activity, I dont' think the prizes were the motivation though, just some direction and a challenge.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Bob G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by Bob G » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:36 pm

Ozzieimages wrote:How do people find out about this site, is it by word of mouth, do we advertise anywhere, do we let the general photographer population know we are alive???

I have spoken to many photographers about this site and you know what, they have never heard of us, what about puting up some info sheets in camera stores, studio lighting shops, picture framing shops, camera clubs, photographic magazines. No one will join us if they don't know we exist....

I know some of these ideas will cost a dollar or two, but maybe a small donation from enough people will cover this.

We gotta spread the word and the word is digitalSLR.com.au

Baz

Baz
    How often do we bump into other togs in the field who we could invite in.
    How many existing members are in Camera Clubs where they could givethe forum a plug?
    Bob
    Bob G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by Bob G » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:39 pm

Dalzine wrote:As one of the Admins I can guarantee that any good, feasible ideas will be considered. I think however we should start with ideas that don't involve a lot of capital outlay.

Unless I win the Lotto tonight, then all bets are off :D

Dale

Understandable Dale.
    Bob
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:52 pm

I found DSLR after I bought my camera, I typed in Digital SLR forum into google.

And here I is!

I joined a couple of others at the time, but found this one full of special and cheery people :D

I also enjoy the higher bar of submissions and critique rather than back patting for pressing a button.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Bob G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by Bob G » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:58 pm

Busiboy wrote:more photos

more comments

maybe some themed challenges? A while ago when Sir T put up the Glamour comp there was some activity, I dont' think the prizes were the motivation though, just some direction and a challenge.

How about a competition over say 3 months with weekly winners (i.e. The COW) feeding a COM ( Capture of the Month) feeding a COQ ( Capture of the Quarter)
    I would be prepared to put up a good prize forthe winner.

Maybe some other competitions run concurrently for:
    The most images posted
    The most posts/comments during the period.
    The most members introduced/ reactivated during the period.

Ok - just trying to bring some of the ideas together.

If it gets of the ground I wil offer a weeksholiday at Seaview Resort Mooloolaba valued at $1,400.00. For a COQ

Any one else prepared to donate a prize for the other categories.
    Bob
    trac44
    Cadet
    Cadet

by trac44 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:27 pm

That's very generous Bob. But I'm not sure I would like to see this site's members forced to become more competitive. I'm not privvy to why SirT decided to close the site, or why Steve threw in the towel, but reading between the lines it seems that the existing competition here was a factor.
    I'm also torn between your assertion that one of this site's appeals is its "boutique" nature, and your enthusiasm for a membership drive. I don't know whether good things come in small packages, or whether bigger is better?
    From a casual observation, I thought there was a recent minor surge in activity here.
    I would be all for "word of mouth" advertising, and that could of course include words outside the net (in clubs etc.). But I wonder if an all out membership drive might result in this boutique forum becoming like the giant you mention in which one can get lost.
    Where is Kiwi BTW? His user name now comes up with "guest".
    Perhaps rbmorley's suggestion should be acted upon?
    Cheers
    Norm
    PPOK - images OK