Vernacular Chook Run, North Goulburn
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Vernacular Chook Run, North Goulburn

by W G » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:18 pm

Talk about a patchwork of materials!
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Vernacular Chook Run, North Goulburn

by Doug » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:08 pm

Patch work indeed.

The other perfectly scaled down bit of building code house construction next to it really sets it off.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:43 pm

I'm blown away with the grain in the sky compared to the brickworks detail.

film has an awesome ability to make a scene when a digital is too truthful.

(there is a thread in there somewhere!)

:)
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:54 pm

Eden wrote:I'm blown away with the grain in the sky compared to the brickworks detail.

W R O N G ! !

Sorry Eden, it ain't supposed to be like that. A setting for the Brush Tool in PS got onto the incorrect thingamabob.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:41 pm

Okay, I have always believed in a quality warranty and here it is in action. I went back to the scan file and reprocessed it without the incorrect brush setting.

As often happens, I did not re-do the photograph exactly as before. I think I prefer the corrugated iron in this rendering (it has something of the zinc glow to it where the sun hots at the right angle) ..... in addition to the alleged grain being vanquished from the sky.

Thanks for pointing it out Eden.
    Walter Glover

Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:16 pm

Oh Sh_t.

I didnt mean it in too negative way and actually sorta like it (I think I look too much).

there is a detail minded weird side to me that enjoys imperfection and character.

bugga...............it's almost too nice now :)

Once again the contrast is awesome with this shot and I'm sure your using the HDR setting on your film :wink: .

I do prefer the Iron detail in the later version though.

both look good for my eye!

cheers
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:00 am

It's all okay Eden,

I know exactly what you mean about liking the errors or imperfections In fact, one of the major drawcords of film for me is what I refer to as the veneration of the aberration. It is the presence of the imperfections in the materials and processes that make film photography a unique, distinct and unrepeatable medium. I find digital is soporifically boring in the blandness of its blemish-free perfection.

Your comment about the HDR illusion brings a wry smile to my dial. HDR is an attempt to get digital to approach the capabilities of ideally exposed and processed film. Especially B&W negative film. I just wallow in the joys of the playground I choose to play in.

I have not discarded or hidden the the flawed version - it remains as an alternative even though the 'grain' is an introduced artefact of the digital process rather than an inherent feature of the medium.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover