Spires

by Doug » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:26 am

A couple from today.

• W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Re: Spires

by W G » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:22 am

Nice moment of light in the first, Doug, and the structure of the framing enhances the structure of the motif. Lovely.

To my eye, there is a somewhat jarring issue of geometry with the second. You've done a precise job of levelling the base of the image with the course of bricks but, optical considerations have meant that the spire itself is not vertical. If you took the ruler tool and inscribed a line straight down from the apex of the bellicose through the peaks of the arches below and then go to Image . Motion . Arbitrary you'd find that the correction might be surprisingly substantial.

The shooting of structural material like this is more a matter of geometry than of seeing. Choose a viewpoint precisely perpendicular to the structure and you'll be better placed to retain the geometric integrity. Essentially the planes of a structure are best recorded if you treat them the same as shooting in the plan mode of the copy stand but swung to vertical rather than horizontal.

To the extent that I am able within the limitations of the window edge, it is only off by a poofteenth, if at all, and there may actually be an optical illusion of a warp due to the fact that the wooden cross does not rise from the exact apex but from slightly to the right as we view it.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Spires

by Doug » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:03 pm

Correct on all accounts with the second one.
    I was using the side walls of the bell enclosure as my point of reference and it is clearer in the picture than on location that there is still a little bit of the left side wall showing.
    A better way to judge it would have been to use the cross. I realize now it is set back further than I though.

It is taken at 70mm on a 70-300, so zooming in to get placement would have been the smart thing to do.

Tempting to do something in Photoshop to shift the spire, but I do it again instead.

I have been thinking of doing a collection of church spires now that I have a long lens, as well as a sub group of domestic and commercial lookout towers.