Auto mode
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Auto mode

by beeb » Mon May 23, 2016 9:36 pm

A mate got a new car and wanted some pictures done, just a short session this time but good to get the mind back into gear!

[EDITED]
    2005 Subaru WRX STI by T. Flack, on Flickr

Last edited by beeb on Sun May 29, 2016 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Auto mode

by Plays with Light » Tue May 24, 2016 1:58 pm

Your mate would have to be chuffed with those, Tim! The lighting shows off the form of the car very nicely. The gritty setting works perfectly too. Well done!
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Sir Tristram
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Sir Tristram » Tue May 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Nice lighting. well done.
    John C.
    **PPOK**
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Tue May 24, 2016 9:18 pm

Thanks guys. I had a great time taking them, I suspect there might be a few more vehicles to come now too - now I just need to find some more locations!
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Wed May 25, 2016 1:06 pm

Really like that top shot. The lights on looks good and there is enough in the background to frame the car up nicely.

Is it an led stick or a mini fluro you are using to highlight with?
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Wed May 25, 2016 6:11 pm

Nicely done.
    Everything has come together beautifully.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Wed May 25, 2016 9:41 pm

Thanks again lads. :)

Eden wrote:Is it an led stick or a mini fluro you are using to highlight with?

It's a LED video light (see link below for more details) - diffused with a home made soft-box. I used a couple of translucent plastic containers, some tracing paper, and a whole lot of black electrical tape - looks pretty home made but works like a charm!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... e_clr.html

I like the quality of the light from my current setup but it is quite awkward to hold and a little heavy. Always makes me nervous when holding it over the vehicle, and I have never been game to use the tripod-mount thread as I have absolutely no faith it would hold up in any remotely dynamic situation, I have my doubts it would hold up in static use to be honest! :lol:

I have just purchased a YongNuo YN-360 which I will be aiming to try a.s.a.p once I manage to bodge up a diffuser for it (otherwise if you look closely you can see the striations in the reflection of individual LED's). It is much easier to hold and much lighter, so should allow me a bit more reach/versatility when doing the lighting. Time will tell. :wink: Seems good quality and certainly offers a lot for the money. (And bloody-hell it's bright!)

(Note - this link require a battery and charger to be purchased seperately)
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YONGNUO-YN36 ... 3ac16954da

The best thing about both these lights is the variable colour-temp of the lights, which makes it a lot easier to match the light to the surroundings - which makes the car blend in a lot more naturally (even when super-glossily presented like this... :) ). Most cheap LED lights are too blue - as it appears brighter to our eyes (but doesn't fool a camera's sensor).
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun May 29, 2016 10:46 am

Round 2

Aimed for more subdued lighting in the first. Second was practice for blending on-car lights/ambient light/lightpainting (and to get a rear-shot of the vehicle as well obviously!). CC welcomed.

Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sun May 29, 2016 12:19 pm

You are getting better at this all the time.
    These are all commercial quality in my opinion, that would fit in on any magazine that would feature a car like this.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun May 29, 2016 1:31 pm

Doug wrote:You are getting better at this all the time.
    These are all commercial quality in my opinion, that would fit in on any magazine that would feature a car like this.

Thanks Doug, much appreciated. I still just do it for my own enjoyment (as I like to have the option of when/if I do a shoot) - But I'm pleased the quality's getting up there. Maybe I need to find a Bentley/Rolls Royce (or similar) dealer that's willing to pay silly money for a few shots... :wink: