Some more

by Doug » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:46 am

• W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Re: Some more

by W G » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:15 am

Hey Doug,

It looks like you might have taken my comments about the logs on board. I think it works better this way as a statement — the colour version is sort of just a 'record' shot by comparison.

I like the jetty full of row boats is very intriguing but I dislike all the garbage at the bottom of frame. River banks at low tide are yucky for me. Tilting up to have the jetty at eh bottom of frame with either a pano crop or an expanse of clear shy might prove more attractive,

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:02 pm

Loving the log image, Doug! Now that it is stretched out pano-wise, Walters suggestion makes perfect sense.

There's a sense of playfulness to the first image, like as if the boats are off on a day trip somewhere, waiting politely to be taken off to their destination. If that makes sense? :?
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:48 pm

W G wrote:Hey Doug,

It looks like you might have taken my comments about the logs on board. I think it works better this way as a statement — the colour version is sort of just a 'record' shot by comparison.

I like the change of crop you suggested.
    I did an early look at it in B+W, but taking it from a slightly soft foggy conditions low contrast, to the high contrast I felt it needs to make those circles stand out took it's tole on the file.
    Works as a proof of concept though and for web viewing.
    It is better I agree, without close inspection though.

I took a wide variety of shots of this subject, since it seemed too good an opportunity to miss.
    This file offered the chance to follow your suggestion apart from the low angle.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:52 pm

Plays with Light wrote:There's a sense of playfulness to the first image, like as if the boats are off on a day trip somewhere, waiting politely to be taken off to their destination. If that makes sense? :?

Yes I'm seeing that.
    Perhaps talking amongst themselves while waiting their turn to jump in.