Well, after doing a decent amount of research, I've decided NOT to buy a D7000 as my starter's camera. It is
totally awesome and all, but there are 2 problems:
- I want to get into photography right now and I'd have to wait until much later in the year to get one and
- I have other commitments which I'd like to take care of
I'm torn between DX and FX, as I can see the FX cameras have lower noise and better build quality, so a 2nd hand D700 was on my wish list. I'm also eyeing off the fact that the D5100 has selectable 24/25/30 FPS for the 1080p video, and wondering if any further bodies will be released this year with HD video capabilities. Talk is that Nikon won't release a firmware change for the D7000 to allow 24/25/30 fps selectable 1080p.
So if an FX D800 comes out this year, with Full HD 24/25/30(/50/60) fps, that would be worth saving for. I want something that's going to last me a long time, that I can keep using while I upgrade the lenses and get other equipment to work alongside it.
With all that in mind, I think my best bet is to get some sort of suitable kit now for about $500-600, and get into it.
What I'm looking for:
- Pre-loved prosumer DSLR Body & cap with a memory card or 2(Possibly a Nikon D80) and neck-strap. I would like 10MP, and something well looked after
- A kit lens or 2 (wide to telephoto eg 18-105 or 18-55 + 55-200) with caps and hoods
- Good battery & charger (maybe a good spare battery too?)/all cables/manual
- If possible, a basic speedlight
- If you're really generous a battery grip and/or remote
This may be a totally unreasonable list consdiering the budget. Feel free to advise me
I can't buy this immediately, so no urgent sales. I'll have the cash in about 5 weeks. Maybe earlier depending on how I go selling my Amiga stuff
Nikon D7000 + 18-105mm VR kit lens.