You've hear of the COW .... Now for the CAW!!!
    Core Sylph Host

You've hear of the COW .... Now for the CAW!!!

by Core Sylph Host » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:02 pm

I'm the same as Busiboy - feeling a bit bored and unchallenged photographically speaking (http://www.digitalslr.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13311) :(

So, my suggestion is a weekly/fortnightly/monthly challenge topic. Perhaps the winner of each could receive the prestigious CAW ???? (Challenge Award Winner). Okay, not funny! I know! :lol: :roll:

So, mods, how about it? Anyone else think it's a good idea? I won't be upset (too much) if you don't think so .... Image

Edit: Don't know why url to other post is not working!
    Edit2: D'oh! Tis now!
    Sylph

The camera never lies .... but Photoshop does!
    Oneputt

by Oneputt » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:50 pm

I agree something needs to be done to spark up interest. Having said that, this forum is like others at the moment. Very quiet.
    "The good thing about meditation, is that it makes doing nothing respectable." **PPOK**

www.oneputtphotographics.com
    http://oneputt.redbubble.com/
  • Steve Lockyer
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Steve Lockyer » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:15 pm

Oneputt wrote:I agree something needs to be done to spark up interest. Having said that, this forum is like others at the moment. Very quiet.

Do you know why John???????

by Guest » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:35 pm

I'm not having a crack at anyone here

But this really does not motivate you

http://www.digitalslr.com.au/forum/view ... hp?t=13211

There is only one Aussie forum doing well, all others are slowish, slow or dead as.

I guess these things go in cycles

I think there needs to be a bit more energy from all.
    Core Sylph Host

by Core Sylph Host » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:24 pm

kiwi wrote:I think there needs to be a bit more energy from all.

Hence my suggestion Darren.

Not suggesting there isn't some good stuff on this forum (there most definitely is!!) but sometimes, it's all just a wide gamut of topics. My suggestion for a "challenge" topic, is to get people focused on something, to provide different ways of looking at things, and is maybe in some cases, a bit outside of their comfort zones (in my case, that's probably about everything!).

We don't all have kids who can provide endless photo opportunties and sometimes it's a bit hard to get the focus I was attempting to find through my suggestion.

(Especially when you live in Hobart and it's ffffreeezzzinggg!!!)
    Sylph

The camera never lies .... but Photoshop does!
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:31 am

kiwi wrote:I'm not having a crack at anyone here

But this really does not motivate you

http://www.digitalslr.com.au/forum/view ... hp?t=13211

There is only one Aussie forum doing well, all others are slowish, slow or dead as.

I guess these things go in cycles

I think there needs to be a bit more energy from all.

The problem is these things snowball. When you post some photos and get no comments, yet a lot of views, then it get's a bit "why bother?", and that translates to commenting on other posts as well.

It's not just here either, of the three sites like this that I frequent it's pretty much the same thing.

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
    Oneputt

by Oneputt » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:37 am

Tell me Steve I am interested.

My thoughts are that there are too many members who simply post images and contribute zero comment. That to me smacks of the "look at me syndrome". For myself I will not nominate any of their images for the COW (that is a personal decision).

Then there are images that I do not feel qualified to comment on so I don't.

Then there are people who post countless images of the same genre over and over. How does one work up enthusiasm to comment on these?

Finally I simply do not comment on images where to do so I would have to be really critical, as some people do not take kindly to it. We have seen examples of that here.

I continue to hang around here because I enjoy photography and have learnt heaps from the members here, and no doubt I can learn heaps more.
    "The good thing about meditation, is that it makes doing nothing respectable." **PPOK**

by Guest » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:43 am

John, I think your post exemplifies the issue.

You, as well as every one else here is fully qualified to comment on each and every photo. You like it, why, you don't like it, why. People, especially those less experienced like I, find the critique often more interesting and more valuable than the photo.

Ask what image posters what they'd prefer, 10 comments saying 'nice photo", or even "doesn't work for me" or nothing ? If people continue to post and get 100 views and 1 comment then I don't think they are going to bother really.

Everyone can comment. I do not agree the genre has to be your specialty area to do so.

I have not noticed people that post just images and add no comments, perhaps there are some. But it's common in forums that there are those that just post, but also some that just comment, and some (hopefully) that do a bit of each. To penalise a poster of images by not nominating for COW's etc because they don't comment much is pretty churlish I think

I guess I fall into the category of posting mostly images of one genre, or either that of my kids and stuff. Sorry, but this represents what I enjoy and what I do. Steve posts mainly birds, Bob G mostly landscapes. Should we all stop posting because we wont get comments because you (and obviously others) can't get your enthusiasm high enough ?

There are people on any forum that are sometimes defensive about their work. That's life and sooner or later they learn that most often they were wrong and the critiquer(s) were right. The alternative is to let them on the merry delusional way and I don't see how that helps anyone. Any nastiness here is smacked by the mods (rightly so).

I hang around here as you are my friend I hope, as are so many others and I have learnt a lot

But, I post in other forums as well here and overseas (as do a number of other members here) and every other forum I am active on also lets you post more than 4 images at a time that suits sports - because I get lots of comments, oh, and not often good ones.

For a forum to thrive it needs energy from all the mods and activity, challenges, fun stuff etc to bring people back in time and time again. I'm going to guess that there are probably less than 20 active posters at the moment.

We need to get that up to 100'sh if we can. And we can because this site is well moderated, stocked with a good mix of pro, semipro and enthusiasts and a good mix of areas.
    Oneputt

by Oneputt » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:00 am

Good to get your thoughts as well Darren, hopefully it might start an avalanche of suggestions (I am an optimist :wink: :D )

• Fusionize
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Fusionize » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:50 am

I'd quite enjoy something like this, would make a change.

My thoughts are that there are too many members who simply post images and contribute zero comment. That to me smacks of the "look at me syndrome". For myself I will not nominate any of their images for the COW (that is a personal decision).

I find myself to at times be one of those posts an image or 2 and moves on, when I do get the time to comment I certainly do, many times I just enjoy looking at what some of the better photographers here have to offer, many days I will look at some photos people have taken and try and work out how it was done then go practice this. Have done it many times now, I would love to post results to people of how their work inspired me to play around and try to replicate something to understand it, I just rarely have time.

Then there are images that I do not feel qualified to comment on so I don't.

What makes one qualified and unqualified? What one person sees another misses and vice versa, I've had people tell what they don't like about some of my shots things others have missed, these people don't even own a camera. So i think a comment/critique can be valuable from anyone.

Then there are people who post countless images of the same genre over and over. How does one work up enthusiasm to comment on these?

I tend to get tired of the same genre, I make sure I check out their work, but tend to not worry about commenting.

Finally I simply do not comment on images where to do so I would have to be really critical, as some people do not take kindly to it. We have seen examples of that here.

I know exactly where your coming from, however, I look at it this way, providing you can handle what you dish out, what's the problem? I'd rather have someone criticise my work to push me than have a heap of "awesome, well done" etc. If people are going to be hurt by what is said, screw them I say :p

I continue to hang around here because I enjoy photography and have learnt heaps from the members here, and no doubt I can learn heaps more.

I have learnt more here than any other forum, in fact this is one of the only photography forums I use, I have found almost every member to be helpful in one way or another.

In regards to the Cow, how is it the mods etc come to decide what images are selected? Some weeks there really isn't anything I like or there are multiple entries by one user or the images/subjects are very alike so I do not vote, it would be great if there was much wider cross sections. Some weeks I see some brilliant images not up for vote yet see others which I find less pleasing to the eye up.

I really enjoy this place, I just wish I could put more time in, sadly being a mod on one of the biggest forums in Australia takes up too much of my "online time" :(
    Oneputt

by Oneputt » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:41 pm

Craig good to get your input.:D

Just one comment - quote

"In regards to the Cow, how is it the mods etc come to decide what images are selected? Some weeks there really isn't anything I like or there are multiple entries by one user or the images/subjects are very alike so I do not vote, it would be great if there was much wider cross sections. Some weeks I see some brilliant images not up for vote yet see others which I find less pleasing to the eye up."

What is the alternative to the mods nominating images? If every mod nominated one image I am sure that we would have a broad cross section, as it is we have a few inactive mods and maybe we need to do something about that. We could perhaps also limit it to one image per member. On another well known forum the members do not get a vote, and the weekly image is selected by the mods in turn. Having the images selected by the members and then voted on creates too much work. We believe that what we have is a good compromise, and if you look at past winners I am sure you will agree that they are all worthy.

by Guest » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:50 pm

re the Cow

I'd like to see this revamped a little where members can nominate their own photo. Put them in a separate thread, I dunno about you but sometimes I see a few photos in a post and I think not always the strongest one is nominated

The mods then decide on a shortlist of 5 per week

Members then vote for the winner.

I'd certainly like to see only one photo per member being in the running.

I dont care if there are 5 landscapes or 5 birds, so be it

As for mods not being active - well - I have a strong view on that issue too.
    cowsgomoo
    Reporter
    Reporter

by cowsgomoo » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:56 pm

kiwi wrote:re the Cow

As for mods not being active - well - I have a strong view on that issue too.

There are some hardworking mods and some who appear to have other priorities.....

Perhaps an oportunity for some keen newer members to take up the positions where required.

Just an idea...
    David

*** PPOK ***
    Bodak
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by Bodak » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:54 pm

If there are inactive mods, then why are they still mods.
    If you except the position then you do the job or get out.

Anyways, some interesting points being bought up.
    Be at peace. - Stephen.
    Web Site
    PPOK
    Oneputt

by Oneputt » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:42 pm

Bump - this is a good discussion lets keep it going.