Temporary Banning?
  • glen

Temporary Banning?

by glen » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:59 pm

I am writing this suggestion clearly in relation to Steve's resignation. Clearly I do not know the details of the incident but this may be an appropriate solution for it, if not please disregard, though it could be appropriate for others.

I will also say that in every PM or post by Steve he has always shown me to someone with a love of photography and a love of this forum. He has always struck me as very genuine in that love.

Historically, this forum and others have used banning as a way of dealing with people who don't fit in or as a form of punishment. This has been appropriate as most people show themselves as not wanting to play nicely with others very quickly, sometimes in one post. The problem with this is it is like giving a court one sanction to use, life imprisonment. Not really appropriate for shoplifting.

My suggestion is temporary banning. A ban could be short for a minor offence, maybe a week, and possibly a month or 2 or 3 for more serious offences. I have seen this used on other forums with great effect. For someone like Steve with 3,000 posts and who is on here daily, a one month ban would be a real and serious punishment.

If Sir T chose to impose a ban of whatever length was appropriate on Steve, then Steve would not need to resign as appropriate punishment would have already been handed out. My thoughts.

Please bear in mind I do not know why Steve resigned, so my suggestion may not be appropriate. I am just trying to look laterally at a situation and realised a limitation of our sanction system, it has no grading.
    matt
    Reporter
    Reporter

by matt » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:05 pm

Sounds more than fair to me..

But did I miss something?

Cheers
    MATT
  • glen

by glen » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:12 pm

Matt, I think just about everyone missed the incident, it was in the last two days. Steve resigned for a reason unknown to most of us. My suggestion is that we have no grading in punishment, just in or out, so maybe some grades would be appropriate. Steve was left with probably no option but to resign, maybe this suggestion gives some options.

Matt, here is the thread: http://www.digitalslr.com.au/forum/view ... highlight=
    matt
    Reporter
    Reporter

by matt » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:21 pm

Depends on the matter at hand, after reading the thread it would be hard for any of us to make any judgment as to what happened, other than it must be serious to make a complaint.

But in todays age all bullying, harassment or inappropriate behavior cannot be tolerated.

I think the temp ban is a great idea..

Cheers
    MATT
    Sir Tristram
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Sir Tristram » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:40 pm

This was a matter that Steve took into his own hands and deleted his own account. He was neither asked or requested that he do so. Simple, he took it upon himself to delete his account. He chose to leave, he was not pushed.

As far as temporary bans go, I'm not a big fan of them. Generally if a member does something that is not in the spirit of the forum, they are asked to stop and not do it again. And on the very rare occasions since this forum has been operating I have deleted about 5 accounts of people who for their own reasons joined up with one action in mind and that was to case trouble by any means possible. So they had their accounts deleted. Every other 300 odd members have got along in the spirit the forum was setup on.

So at the moment I don't see the need for an additional tier of action to be taken against members, when the current process works fine and 300 ppl get along fine.

I hope this is an answer to your question Glen in addition to the Pm I responded too. It is sad to see Steve go but ultimately we move on.
    John C.
    **PPOK**
    LostDingo
    Reporter
    Reporter

by LostDingo » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:51 pm

Personally I'm not so certain how temporary "bannings" work as I have not seen this used in any forums I am familiar with....I have seen permanant but not temporary
    have a read of my blog http://lostdingo.com/blog/
  • glen

by glen » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:57 pm

Paul,

A temporary banning is where someone is banned for a fixed period, varying with their indescretion.. Eg one week for being rude to another member, one month for posting a link to stolen software, maybe one month for making inappropriate comments, etc.

Glen
    LostDingo
    Reporter
    Reporter

by LostDingo » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:00 pm

Sorry Glen, I should have been more specific in saying "I am not certain how well it would work"....I do understand the definition of "temporary"
    have a read of my blog http://lostdingo.com/blog/
    MarkA
    Cadet
    Cadet

by MarkA » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:57 am

Ummmm wow. :shock:
    I was completly unaware of anything even going on.

I'm not even going to buy into the debate on banning or Steve's actions as I have no insite what-so-ever into it, nor do I desire to know.

I just wanted to say thanks to Steve for all the knowledge and humor that he has shared with the forum and it's members.

When I first started visiting this forum and another, I PM'ed Steve with a simple question regarding his set-up for birding his reply was exahaustive and full of good suggestions for photography in general, covering things like mettering, focus, gears and the list goes on.
    We must have sent 6-8 PM's to-and-fro for a few days. Each time Steve giving a delailed and lengthy reply to my questions. Steve didn't have to do this, but obviously being the helpful type, he did, and for that I am grateful to him.

I'm sure his input will be missed, as I for one will miss it.
    Thanks Steve for all that you have shared with me.

Regards
    Mark

Edit: Sorry for the OT post in your thread Glen, hope you don't mind?
    Mark
    My Flickr
    Have you voted for COW???