Scrap POTW, replace with Monthly Photo Challenge/Competition
  • darrylm

Scrap POTW, replace with Monthly Photo Challenge/Competition

by darrylm » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:55 pm

I was thinking this prior to reading a few threads in regards to not copying "the other forum", but I think after reading them it has made me even more inclined to the idea of not having them. Quite a while back I think I wanted for the other forum a more themed based selection of the image.

For instance at the start of the month a theme would be selected, say for argument sake Birds (could be Sports) and then for the next three weeks people could go out and actively try and take a good photo relating to that theme. In the last week of that month the photos would have to be submitted and say the top 10 selected and posted in a thread for the users to vote on. The start of the following month the 1st-3rd announced with the three of them appearing down the right side, along with the announcement for the new theme for that month.
    Raskill
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Raskill » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:16 pm

I know what your saying, and agree that ideally this new site should try not to have a POTW or at least in that name. I do think though that the POTW concept gives members that little beacon of hope that an image they put forward for critiquing will be selected. I know I've never had one, but would be chuffed to be picked (mods... :) )

I think it has its place, maybe needs a fresh name and a different spin?
    D700, D2H x 2, a few speedlights, multitude of lenses, cards, tripods, books, back packs, straps, tubes, crates, dohickles, thingamyjigs, CAMS accred and other assorted things.
    Oneputt

by Oneputt » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:35 pm

Big Red has already put foward an idea for a photo comp. with the winner selected by members as opposed to the mods. I think it is a great idea, and monthly I personally believe would be the right period. The subject being chosen by the previous winner. It then becomes truly a members comp.
    "The good thing about meditation, is that it makes doing nothing respectable." **PPOK**

www.oneputtphotographics.com
    http://oneputt.redbubble.com/
    Sir Tristram
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Sir Tristram » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:39 pm

I believe a month is too long. Call it what you will but I hope to see a POTW in some form and it has always been my intention to have the 7 mods pick a photo each and then those 7 pics go up for a 7 day voting period by the members and the one with the most votes wins. Easy.

John C.
    Manta
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Manta » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:57 pm

I tend to agree Sir T.

I reckon people lose interest over a month. You only have to see how the entries flag for the Exercises in Style on DSLRUsers. It's a good concept and it fulfills a need but I don't see a requirement for it here if it's basically the same thing by whatever name.

For me, one week's worth of images, voted on by the members, is the way to go.
    As far as names for this beastie go.. "Featured Photo"??? "Image Highlight"??? "Hot Image"???

Personally I like "Cover Shot"!!
    Simon

Sorry....what was the question again?

PPOK - as long as you tell me what you did to fix my dodgy image!
    phillipb

by phillipb » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:29 pm

Cover shot, I like that :!:
    Also, not sure of the feasibility of this Idea. What if every photo that people submit for critique had a box where you could give it a mark out of ten, then at the end of the week you would automatically have a winner. Only problems I can see are 1. early entries would have an advantage and 2. possibility of rorting the system. You would need to be able to set it up so that any member could only vote once.
    Phillip
    ______

by SteveGriffin » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:35 pm

I agree with Manta's comments about a month being too long.

If the mods selected a short list of images that members voted on during the course of a week the general membership could vote over the course of a couple of days and the winning shot being featured for the week. The winning sharp shooter to decide the theme for the next round ( probably 2 rounds away to allow for mods selection and voting)

SAMPLE TIMETABLING FOLLOWS
    :
    image submission closes / next theme & last winner announced Thursday
    mods short list Friday & Saturday

Voting opens Sunday - Closes Wednesday
    Winner of previous round advises mods of next theme by Wednesday

Repeat:
  • avkomp

by avkomp » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:07 pm

I am a member of a few photo forums most seem to have an image of the week in some form, looking at Naturescapes for example they have an image of the week in each category, eg birds, animals and so on.

I guess people like to have something like that on many forums so maybe we can also.

As far as competitions etc, many forums have those also. equally popular and we should have some of those.

as for themed challenges, these seem popular also.

dslr does this in a single thread called exercise in style where everyone posts there themed shots in a common thread.

Naturescapes does it in a different method which I feel is a better concept.
    They have a theme for a week or whatever, called a motif.

rather than post images which fit the theme in a common thread, which may run into several pages, instead images which are in response to, or otherwise fit the theme begin with the words (motif) and then the normal post name.

This way one may easily search for, or identify images intended to fit a common theme which are posted in the normal manner.

for example suppose the theme, or motif was "sydney landmarks"
    a member submitting an image they took of the sydney harbour bridge
    may post it in landscapes as normal but would name the post as follows:
    motif: the coathanger

my 2 cents worth.
    johndec

by johndec » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:13 pm

Gee, I'm really struggling to see what the problem is here. Just because another forum has a POTW, does that mean it is a bad idea here? It's not like everything at DSLRUsers is unique. They have lifted ideas from other sites too. That is in no way a criticism of them, they are a fine site of which I am a long term member.

This issue was one of the very first discussed here. Check the older posts. A consenus was reached that the idea in itself was valid, however the method of selection would be slightly different to DSLRUsers. I agree with the proposed format. Those that don't have the right not to participate in the process. Can't be fairer than that?
    If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
  • Big Pix

by Big Pix » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm

do both.......
    johndec

by johndec » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:30 pm

Big Pix wrote:do both.......

sorry BP you've lost me. Care to elaborate.
    If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
  • avkomp

by avkomp » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:29 am

I think he means potw and comps.

which I agree with also.
  • darrylm

by darrylm » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:12 am

Johndec, my thoughts were only partially affected by the other forum, I never really liked the POTW there either.
    PiroStitch
    Cadet
    Cadet

by PiroStitch » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:59 am

either way i'm not fussed whether it's a week or a month. I like the POTW concept as you get to see the range of different styles and if you really want to try and get a POTW, you need to challenge yourself every single day/week to get the best pic.

I'm all for growth in everyone so whichever way is fine :)
    Wayne
    NikonUser
    Cadet
    Cadet

by NikonUser » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:52 pm

My two cents...

I think there is room for both concepts.

I like the picture of the week. As was mentioned previously it gives everyone a hope of recognition with every picture they post. I think however that having only mods vote on the image could be quite restrictive as everyone likes a particular style of image and having only 7 people choosing images could bias the selections towards certain image types/styles.

Would it be possible or even feasable to have the last weeks POTW winner to be able to vote for the next POTW? If they fail to submit their entry then it could fall back on the mods.

I also love the idea of a weekly/fortnightly/monthly themed image 'challenge' as participation in those sometimes makes me think of images that I otherwise wouldn't.

Paul
    If I had more gear I'd definately be a better photographer!... Definately!

http://www.AustralianNaturePhotography.com