COTW Suggestion...
    NikonUser
    Cadet
    Cadet

COTW Suggestion...

by NikonUser » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:01 pm

Hi there,

I've been awake since 2am so this suggestion sounds great to me right now... but might not when I wake up in a few hours...

On the main page, when I click on "Click Here To See The COW" I'd like to be taken to a NEW thread that contains only the winning image. At present I'm taken to the original thread which may contain more than one image and all it's critiques...

My reason for this is that if there is more than one image posted then it's not really clear WHICH is COTW without first visiting the voting thread to remind me. Also I'd like to congratulate the winner and read all the comments without having to go through all the critique first.

If this is a crap idea then I blame it on my lack of sleep. If it's a good idea then I take full credit. :)

Just my two cents

Paul
    If I had more gear I'd definately be a better photographer!... Definately!

http://www.AustralianNaturePhotography.com
  • avkomp

by avkomp » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:15 pm

we value suggestions Paul.

Currently i am not convinced that the current method is the best.

my two suggestions are:

1: clicking on the see the cow takes me to the winning image as Paul suggested.

2: Clicking on the see the cow takes me to the closed voting thread where I can see the poll. I am personally interested in how close it was. if I wish, a further click on the name of the winner takes me to the thread concerned.

What do the members think??
    johndec

by johndec » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:16 pm

That's sounds about on the money to me Steve.
    If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
  • avkomp

by avkomp » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:36 pm

Johndec:

points 1 and 2 are an either or scenario to me.
    wonder which you meant?
    NikonUser
    Cadet
    Cadet

by NikonUser » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:39 pm

How about:

point 1 as above... And in that post there could either be a writeup of the results or a link to the locked voting thread.

Paul

• Cyanide

by Cyanide » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:52 pm

My preferences/suggestions:

You currently have the COW photo itself on the front page, but it is not clickable. I would like to click the photo to go to the 'announcing the winner/ post your congratulations' thread. It would be nice if the first post of those threads always contained a) what percentage of the vote the pic received b) a link back to the voting thread and c) a link back to the thread in which the pic was originally posted as well.

Currently, above the photo, there are two links - one to go to the original thread, and one to go to the current voting.

1- The text that is the link to the original thread should be a bit more explanatory - at the moment, I can't tell if clicking it will take me to the original thread, or to the announcement thread, or what (yeah, I'm probably just dull. :) ) eg "Click here to see the COW in its original thread". Alternatively, if you have a consistant format for the first post of the announcement thread, and people know they can always get all the links from there, then you *could* eliminate this link.... (I am happy for it to remain, but just a suggestion).

2 - The link to the next week's voting is good and should stay, but I think all text/links should go below the COW pic.

JM2c. Cheers :)
    Rae
    All the gear and no idea.
    PPOK / Others' pics in threads OK
    johndec

by johndec » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:56 pm

avkomp wrote:Johndec:

wonder which you meant?

Take your pick, you're the boss. :lol:

How about Option 2 but when the winner is announced the thread is unlocked so people can comment.
    If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
    NikonUser
    Cadet
    Cadet

by NikonUser » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:59 pm

johndec wrote:
    avkomp wrote:Johndec:

wonder which you meant?

Take your pick, you're the boss. :lol:

How about Option 2 but when the winner is announced the thread is unlocked so people can comment.

I had that thought too... but didn't think it would be possible as that whole section of the forum is locked I think. That'd be a good solution though.

Paul

• avkomp

by avkomp » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:44 pm

It would appear to have people comment on the past cow, the section wouild need to be unlocked as far as I can tell.

in any case, is these suggestion we are interested in hearing.
    NikonUser
    Cadet
    Cadet

by NikonUser » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:53 pm

avkomp wrote:It would appear to have people comment on the past cow, the section wouild need to be unlocked as far as I can tell.

in any case, is these suggestion we are interested in hearing.

Could you unlock the forum section and lock the individual voting thread until voting is over? And you could post a sticky saying that any other post in this section will be deleted?

Paul

leek
    Reporter
    Reporter

by leek » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:20 pm

I've made this suggestion before, but could you please make the COW window on the home page the same height as the list of the 5 most recent posts...
    Cheers,
    John
    RB | F! | dA | FB
    LostDingo
    Reporter
    Reporter

by LostDingo » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:42 am

leek wrote:I've made this suggestion before, but could you please make the COW window on the home page the same height as the list of the 5 most recent posts...

I agree with John, would like to see a bit larger format but not sure how difficult this may be.
    have a read of my blog http://lostdingo.com/blog/
    NikonUser
    Cadet
    Cadet

by NikonUser » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:04 am

LostDingo wrote:
    leek wrote:I've made this suggestion before, but could you please make the COW window on the home page the same height as the list of the 5 most recent posts...

I agree with John, would like to see a bit larger format but not sure how difficult this may be.

I agree.
    I'd also be happy with having 7 or so latest topics... just to even it up :)

Paul

CraigVTR
    Reporter
    Reporter

by CraigVTR » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:19 pm

avkomp wrote:we value suggestions Paul.

Currently i am not convinced that the current method is the best.

my two suggestions are:

1: clicking on the see the cow takes me to the winning image as Paul suggested.

2: Clicking on the see the cow takes me to the closed voting thread where I can see the poll. I am personally interested in how close it was. if I wish, a further click on the name of the winner takes me to the thread concerned.

What do the members think??

Like #2 as I like to see the votes. Comments can then go back (via a link) to the original thread of the winning image.
    Regards
    Craig
    PPok Other pics in post OK
    So many forums, so little time.