Need computer advice
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Need computer advice

by Busiboy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:54 pm

Looking at a new laptop, need something with grunt obviously to do photo editing.

Whats the rage?
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    matt
    Reporter
    Reporter

by matt » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:56 pm

Macbook Pro...
    bigdazzler
    Cadet
    Cadet

by bigdazzler » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:09 pm

yep .. just got my imac , a MBP will be my next buy .. im officially in love :D
    Darren.
    CC please. PP OK.
    My RedBubble .. http://darrengray.redbubble.com
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:09 pm

Macbook Pro and if you must run Bootcamp then run XP as well . XP is known to run faster on a Mac heheh .And don't forget to get your Apple Care Extended 3 year Warranty its nice to have even if you never use it

:wink:

loz
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:43 am

hmmm 3 votes for Macbook pro, I must admit as I sit here typing on the other halfs Macbook Pro it is quite tempting, but if I was to stay on the PC side of the equation, does anyone have any suggestions?

Only reason is network compatibility may turn out to be a useful thing in my place of employment.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:56 am

The only PC note book worth looking at is a Toshiba range.

If using it at work try to salary sacrifice and Mr Rudd will buy it for you

Toshiba Portege R500 - Core 2 Duo U7600
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:02 am

Okay, first of all a Mac will talk to other computers on a network, be they macs, PCs or Linux boxes.

Secondly, get yourself a good Dell, not their cheapies as they're crap, their business and game notebooks are very good. If possible get it with windows XP instead of Vista as it will make day to day life a lot easier.

Of course the choice is yours but if you want something that you know you can get the software you want for it, without having to wait months for the chance of it being released for the Mac then get the Dell.

If you prefer style over substance then get a Mac.:D

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
    Oneputt

by Oneputt » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:05 am

My Mac happily talks to my PCs in the office. As for notebooks I am with Loz - Toshiba Portege, I have had mine four nearly five years and it hasn't missed a beat.
    "The good thing about meditation, is that it makes doing nothing respectable." **PPOK**

www.oneputtphotographics.com
    http://oneputt.redbubble.com/
    Bart
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Bart » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:22 am

Another vote for macbook pro. I'm about to sell mine after 2 years of solid use but will probably end up buying another one when I can afford to (in the meantime I'll just have to put up with the non-portability of a 24" imac and 23" cinema display)

For PC's the E series dell latitudes are pretty solid (to my eye they look like the old style macbook pro but black). We buy them at work and can vouch for them.

As for connectivity Macs will connect to whatever network you have. We buy Macs at work and out of the box I can set them up to authenticate to the Active Directory domain and connect to shares, printers etc with no problems whatsoever.
    Colcam
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Colcam » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:50 am

For a solid PC based notebook look at the Lenovo powerhouse at http://gizmodo.com/5035828/lenovo-think ... ade-screen
    It has a built in wacom tablet, 17" WUXGA screen, 3.0 GHz Core 2 Extreme quad core processor, up to 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1GB NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M graphics and dual HDD Bays configurable in RAID 0 or RAID 1 (SSDs are an option). Display outputs include Dual-Link DVI, VGA and Display Port and more. Yummy and good quality too!
    Leave Vista alone though.
    Col
    Photography, The Art of Seeing Not Just Looking
    http://www.frozentime.com.au
    moggy
    Cadet
    Cadet

by moggy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:21 am

Colcam wrote:For a solid PC based notebook look at the Lenovo powerhouse at http://gizmodo.com/5035828/lenovo-think ... ade-screen
    It has a built in wacom tablet, 17" WUXGA screen, 3.0 GHz Core 2 Extreme quad core processor, up to 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1GB NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M graphics and dual HDD Bays configurable in RAID 0 or RAID 1 (SSDs are an option). Display outputs include Dual-Link DVI, VGA and Display Port and more. Yummy and good quality too!
    Leave Vista alone though.
    Col
    The only way you're going to be able to access more than 3Gb of ram is to run a 64bit operating system. I laugh when I see these systems advertised with "a massive 4Gb of ram" and the operating system is Vista Home! :lol:

8)
    Bob...

"I used to be indecisive..but now I'm not so sure..."
    point_shoot

by point_shoot » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:22 pm

Mac
    Big Pix
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Big Pix » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:45 pm

......mac...... I am still using a 6 year old PowerMac every day. When on location I check my images using both NX2 and PSCS4 on this machine
    Cheers ....bp....

happy for the comments but
    .....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
    http://www.bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:10 pm

Mac, everything windows will make you vomit dayglo.

That said a very good buddy of mine here in London swears by hi IBM thinkpad, has had 2 in 10 years and loves them.

ONe other point to consider, a very famous American general quipped about firearms "You use your pistol to fight your way back to your main weapon - you rifle"

Think about a desktop beofre buying a laptop, far more useful and you can get a far superior range of screens for them.

Whoever said "Buy Dell" are you kidding me?
    In a forum, no one can hear you scream!

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/
  • dalek

by dalek » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:03 pm

Hi

It's interesting to see everyones comments regarding what to purchase when your requirements are grunt and photo editing.

First question is "Do I need portability?" if so, you will pay more for that compared to a desktop with the same specs, especalliy if you want "grunt"

For photo editing you'll need fast disk tranfer speed and then CPU grunt. Cheap laptop's hard disks spin slower than the average desktop hard disk and therefore will be slower to tranfer the photo. Also watch out for on-board video cards on laptops. THey use the motherboards memory which again takes CPU time away from your photo editing.

If you break up your specifications to meet your requirements then it will lead you to the right laptop or desktop. In saying that I agree with the IBM ThinkPads. I have 3 over the last 10 years (I work for IBM....but no comissions....Ha) and I've seen them dropped, get wet and tested against other lappy's and they seem to always come out stronger. Some people don't like them as they come in 2 colours...Black and black.

But other's swear by Mac's. But I haven't heard anyone swear by their Dell. Usually it's swearing at their Dell... :lol:

Good luck with your hunting

Dale