Tripods
  • skysie

Tripods

by skysie » Sun May 29, 2011 7:39 pm

What do you recommend for a lower price end of the market tripod? Am only starting out but there are a number of cheaper ones available, but trying to determine which is best. I have a Canon 550D.

Thanks so much
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sun May 29, 2011 8:22 pm

As much as you can to be honest, but what is your budget?
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • skysie

by skysie » Sun May 29, 2011 8:33 pm

as its my first tripod, dont want to spend more than $200
  • Wasasaw

by Wasasaw » Sun May 29, 2011 9:38 pm

Hi Skysie

If you look it slightly differently - if you buy well it maybe (certainly for an extended period of time) the ONLY one you buy....

Having said that dont need to go overboard either - carbon fibre's terrific but do the benefit justify the additional cost.

Had a quick look on ebay before replying and jusr for example the following combo may be around the mark good all round (and very versatile tripod and I dont know of many who use a ball head who go back to a 3 way mount.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Manfrotto-19 ... 2310720d3a

...as I said purely an example - dont know the seller from a bar of soap and can't comment on the price as haven't looked lately but I would suggest if you can get the same for less elsewhere you'll be happy.

Cheers
    Wasa
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, Oh yes I'm very much mistaken
    JazzXP
    Cadet
    Cadet

by JazzXP » Sun May 29, 2011 10:35 pm

May I suggest saving up a bit more and get a quality tripod. I have a cheapie, and I never use it because it's pretty bad. Can't even use my 70-200 on it as it just wobbles around everywhere.

I'll eventually get myself a manfrotto and a nice ballhead to put on it.
    Nikon D5000 | Nikkor 18-55 | Nikkor 55-200 | Nikkor 50 f/1.4 | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | OLD Tamron 300mm (CT-300) | Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VRII
    General Photography
    Glamour Photography
    photoboy
    Cadet
    Cadet

by photoboy » Mon May 30, 2011 12:50 am

Buy a manfrotto - any other piece of shitty, skinny legged rubbish with plastic clips to lock the legs will fail you.

PC
    Sometimes you're the windshield; sometimes you're the bug.
    "chance" favours the prepared mind ...
  • Fusionize
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Fusionize » Mon May 30, 2011 9:36 am

Agreed with others, why spend $200 on crap? That means when you get a good tripod you have spent the good tripod price + whatever you spend on crap.

For me, carbon fibre all the way and gitzo only. My manfrotto 055 xprob was rubbish, the leg clips broke etc. the gitzo is supreme. Expect to pay though.
    Remorhaz
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Remorhaz » Mon May 30, 2011 1:09 pm

I'm not sure if it helps but I just agonised over getting a new carbon fibre tripod for the past few weeks and finally settled on a compromise.

I currently have Manfrotto 190 Pro B (the very old model) + 488RC4 ball head (which I plan to give to my daughter).

I wanted a new lighter (current weighs 2.8kg with head) and taller (current 119cm without centre column extended) tripod and a better ballhead (one with friction control and smoother head action - aka RSS).

So I needed new legs and debated the pros and cons from the very cheap Triopo's (e.g. GX-1228 about $200 delivered) to the uber Gitzo (e.g. GT2541 about $700 delivered on special)

In the end I ordered (a few days ago) the Sirui N-2204 + K20x ballhead kit (I plan to move this lighter arca swiss style ballhead to my Manfrotto for my daughter when I get the RSS BH-40 + L-Plate):

http://www.siruiusa.com/tripods/n2204.htm

which i ordered for $429 delivered.

It's CF & much lighter (1.2kg + 400g) and taller (139cm not extended) and can go lower, etc so I'm hoping I'll be happy with it.

I basically figure since I abuse my tripod a bit (seascapes and swimming in salt water and sand) I would prefer to sink my money more into the ballhead (the RSS BH-40 + D7000 L Plate is likely to be around $600 - my manfrotto ballhead annoys me no end) and save a little bit on the legs which I'll possibly kill in a handful of years.
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Mon May 30, 2011 1:31 pm

If you're just starting out then there's no real sense in going for the expensive tripod. Yes I know it will last you forever but will you be doing photography that needs a tripod forever?

For $200 you can get a decent, sturdy tripod quite easily. The tripod I bought is a no-name alloy brand that has been through a fair bit with me, mostly in a beach environment. The only problems I have had is the leg clips coming loose but that just required some tightening of the bracket bolts, plus I'm starting to see some rust on some of the allen-head bolts.

Considering it cost me $180 three or four years ago I'm not worried to much about it.

My advice would be to stay away from cheap aluminium tripods with plastic clips and quick release plates, they're not worth the $15 you pay for them. Get something sturdy with metal clips and plate, you will find plenty in your price range.

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
  • gerry
    Cadet
    Cadet

by gerry » Mon May 30, 2011 6:20 pm

Wasasaw wrote:Hi Skysie

If you look it slightly differently - if you buy well it maybe (certainly for an extended period of time) the ONLY one you buy....

Having said that dont need to go overboard either - carbon fibre's terrific but do the benefit justify the additional cost.

Had a quick look on ebay before replying and jusr for example the following combo may be around the mark good all round (and very versatile tripod and I dont know of many who use a ball head who go back to a 3 way mount.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Manfrotto-19 ... 2310720d3a

...as I said purely an example - dont know the seller from a bar of soap and can't comment on the price as haven't looked lately but I would suggest if you can get the same for less elsewhere you'll be happy.

Cheers
    Wasa

That there is probably the best advice in this thread imo - the linked manfrotto and head at AUD219 is perfectly fine for a starter, quite frankly great price. I have almost the same setup and has served me well over the years and its copped alot of abuse - saltwater, hiking, defence weapon, lever....you name it..
    just coz its the internet does not mean you can act like a dick :)
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Mon May 30, 2011 7:16 pm

Have a read of Thom Hogans Tripod 101 before you go any further.
  • gerry
    Cadet
    Cadet

by gerry » Tue May 31, 2011 10:27 am

K1W1 wrote:Have a read of Thom Hogans Tripod 101 before you go any further.

whilst that is a good read and great information it is not that applicable to someone looking at the midrange area for tripods. My impression is it is geared more towards the professional, which most of us are not.
    just coz its the internet does not mean you can act like a dick :)
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:00 pm

I agree it's not geared for low / mid range buyers but it does give you a very good overview of what to look for in a tripod and what to avoid. Like all things people read you should read it and then apply what relates to you.
    A link like that gives a person far more info than somebody just posting "Buy an XYZ because I have one and it's grouse" which is next to useless information.
    magnum

by magnum » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:43 pm

If you're still looking at this you might like to look at a Manfrotto kit (available at Teds at present for $179, I think). Picked mine up today:

MT294A3 tripod with a 804RC2 tilt and pan head, see my separate thread, http://www.digitalslr.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136749#136749
    Member:
    Australian Photographic Society
    Redlands Uniting Church Camera Club

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wetzig_photographics/sets/
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:31 pm

I have just bought a second hand manfrotto 055 xprob and love it

Nice heavy and solid I had been using a velbon bought in the early 1980s so good tripods do not last forever :lol: but you do get what you pay for.
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK