Backpack Tripod
    magnum

Backpack Tripod

by magnum » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:20 pm

I have been looking for a good light weight backpack tripod.

Picked up an Inca 13170 from Harvey Norman Garden City (Brisbane) today for $28. Not the sturdiest of tripods but rated for 3kg load (should do the 600D with lenses and a possible 7D or 5D sometime in the future). Has 4 leg extensions so it folds down compact for a backpack.

What are your thoughts, those who do a lot of backpack (mountain) photography ?
    Last edited by magnum on Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Member:
    Australian Photographic Society
    Redlands Uniting Church Camera Club

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wetzig_photographics/sets/
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:36 pm

Is that taking photos of mountains or taking photos from the side of mountains? ;)

For me it depends on the distance but most times I take my normal tripod. It's a few extra kilos but it's not like I'm climbing the Matterhorn with it.

If it's a long hike then I may take a cheap aluminum tripod with a plastic head or nothing, they're both about the same. I should point out though that the aluminum tripod is not extended so it's pretty sturdy. I don't recall ever wishing it was a bit taller at the time.

The one time I was climbing something substantial I took nothing but the camera with wide-angle lens and a bottle of water in a back pack. I figured I would prefer some compromise in shooting position over being pulled off balance in a precarious climbing position.

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:47 pm

I generally prefer to lug a heavier tripod, as when up mountains you are often exposed to stronger winds which'll shake a lighter or flimsier unit around a bit.
    magnum

by magnum » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:49 pm

Dalzine,

I was meaning taking photos from mountains which you have had to climb. Though it could be a substantial backpacking in the bush. Anything that requires an extended physical effort where every kilo counts. Like you, I'd rather take water (in those circumstances) than a tripod, but it would be nice to take both, hence the tripod needs to be light (really light).

Being on the wrong side of 50 means you become very conscious of these things.
    Member:

ozjeeper
    Cadet
    Cadet

by ozjeeper » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:22 pm

You may be interested in this modification to a $20.00 treking pole. I got this idea from the photo DIY site and just adapted it. Hiking needs a trecking pole so,

All you need is a 1/4 tread mount on top of the pole like this;

It is simply (if you have the tools) a piece of plastic material machined to suit the shape of the handle and a length of allthread to suit. You need to thread the pole handle and to get it straight is the tricky bit. Here are the two bits.

Not quite as stable as a tripod but will mount the camera on a base you have two uses for.
    HTH
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:31 pm

ozjeeper wrote:You may be interested in this modification to a $20.00 treking pole. I got this idea from the photo DIY site and just adapted it. Hiking needs a trecking pole so,

It is simply (if you have the tools) a piece of plastic material machined to suit the shape of the handle and a length of allthread to suit. You need to thread the pole handle and to get it straight is the tricky bit. Here are the two bits.

Not quite as stable as a tripod but will mount the camera on a base you have two uses for.
    HTH

Awesome idea! Convenient AND light!
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter

by DJT » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:18 pm

I like that idea a lot
    David
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:01 pm

You could try taking a water bladder and use it to rest your camera on but I don't think it would be as stable as a bean bag.

Depending on the size of your camera what about a DSLR Gorillapod? A lot lighter than a normal tripod and a lot more flexible with regard to the terrain you have to work with.

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
    magnum

by magnum » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:08 pm

Dalzine wrote:Depending on the size of your camera what about a DSLR Gorillapod? A lot lighter than a normal tripod and a lot more flexible with regard to the terrain you have to work with.

Dale.

Yes, I have one of them too.
    Member:

ozjeeper
    Cadet
    Cadet

by ozjeeper » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:09 pm

I meant to get back to this thread earlier but got side tracked. This is an old trick but may be worth mentioning again as it's a lightweight and portable alternative to a tripod. Look for a wheat or bran heat pack and away you go.

:lol:
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!
    magnum

by magnum » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:36 pm

This is what the tripod looks like

Member: