camera bags, backpacks
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

camera bags, backpacks

by vlt87kal » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:31 pm

hey guys im slowly getting more and more gear, i only have a small lowepro shoulder bag at the moment with everything jammed into it, im looking for another bag to hold 3-4 lenses, 1 dslr not fussed about tripods, and assorted filters anysuggestgions?
    All Comments Welcome.......
    *PPOK*
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:49 pm

I have a Lowepro Magnum 200 AW. While very large, it'll hold a camera with lens attached, two spare lenses, with plenty of room for filters, and a couple of flashes, etc... I love it - It's very versatile in how it can be layed out too (in terms of setting up the dividers in the main compartment).

Nevertheless, I would recommend what ever you think you'll buy, go to a local camera store and actually open one up and see whether you think you gear fits well and will be easily accessible, and if it has enough space. Bags are a very subjective thing IMO...
    ozjeeper
    Cadet
    Cadet

by ozjeeper » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:13 pm

Another vote for LowePro AW 200. Love mine.... :D
    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!
    Chris Sitnik

by Chris Sitnik » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:29 pm

This seems to be becoming a regular topic.. I need to upgrade myself. Currently have a Lowerpro Nova 160 but since I've replaced my 18-55 with a 17-55 2.8 I don't have any room left with 3 lenses, the dslr plus some other bits :p plus it gets a bit heavy on the one shoulder. Thinking i need a back pack that has some room to add more gear as I get it (speedlite is on the cards next methinks) and can preferably carry my tripod in some way... Any suggestions (sorry to hijack, i have a diamonds gift card sitting here that needs to be spent :P)
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:57 pm

I use Tenba digital bags and swear by them.

They have smooth cloth dividers to keep friction to a minimum as opposed to many that have furry velvety stuff that builds up a charge with every insertion and withdrawal. Importantly, also, the camera is carried with the lens facing down so that any dust particles settle away from the shutter/sensor.

Weatherproof covers are stored in the back pouch and in the bigger model there is a compartment that will take a lap-top up to a 17 inch screen. The shoulder pad is very comfortable and there is also a carry strap.

Well worth investigating.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • Dunnart

by Dunnart » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Don't be fooled, you can't get away with only one camera bag :). They are like lenses, you need to use the appropriate one for the appropriate job.

Having said that, I've had good mileage out of my Crumpler 7 million dollar home. However it only holds the gear I'm using at the time, my other gear lives in a Pelican case (and a cupboard) at home.

The Crumpler holds a big DSLR with a medium lens attached, my 80-200 f2.8, SB 800 flash (or 300f4) a couple of filters, spare batteries, cables, cards, etc. The two potential drawbacks are the velcro patch which is noisy and it doesn't zip 100 closed so heavy rain could potentially be an issue. On the other hand, I can carry a fleece or raincoat in the top and an umbrella in the side pocket.
    cheers

Steve
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:43 pm

I have a ridiculous amount of camera bags, most of which are Lowepro bags. If I have to take a lot of gear I use my CompuTrekker which will hold a body with lens attached, three or four other lenses, a couple of flashes, remote flash triggers including cables, cards, batteries, chargers, notepads and pens, a decent tripod and a laptop.

If I want to take slightly less and no laptop I use the AW300 swingshot. It's great for carrying your camera with lens attached on your back (great for walking decent amount of distances) but can swing round to let you get your camera out quickly and smoothly if you're in a hurry.

Most of the time though I use an Adventura 170 which is really a video camera bag but it will hold a body with medium zoom lens attached plus a few batteries and cards, plus a 50exII, all in a handy over the shoulder bag. Great for when I'm wondering around the city.

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:14 am

I have a lower pro flip side, that I like,mwhenmyou take it off the face of the bag goes into the dirt not the bit that goes on you back.

I have a small crumpled for my m4/3 that I love.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:44 am

Iforgot to mention, for my small film kit, when I had 4/3rds, I adore my Billingham and I also have National Geographic (Kata) from when I had a LF folding field camera. Vanbar usuallyt do very good deals on the National Geographic stuff.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    RichardW
    Reporter
    Reporter

by RichardW » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:02 am

I bought a Point camera backpack off Ebay which has served me well over the years. Cheap and does the job although it's starting to show its age.
    Also bought a waterproof hard case from Bunnings to store all my lenses and a 2nd camera body. Also cheap in comparison to Pelican but also does the job. Just call me a cheapskate. :oops:
    Richard
    PPOK
    Canon D10, 350D, 5D and a few lenses

Profile and Images