quick uv filter question
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

quick uv filter question

by vlt87kal » Mon May 07, 2012 11:06 pm

im looking at buying a 55-300mm nikon lens to replace my 55-200 on DWI, in the section were uc an buy uv filters and so on with ur lens selection there is gold uv, red uv, white, red and so on, what is the go with the colours?? is it just for looks or does this affect performance??
    All Comments Welcome.......
    *PPOK*
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Tue May 08, 2012 6:48 am

Essentially for coloring shots in camera, effects easily achieved and much easier to manipulate in photoshop.

I'd skip the colours and only use the uv when in a hostile environment for the lens, ie shooting offroad races, weddings or children
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Tue May 08, 2012 8:26 am

I would refrain from putting anything on the front of a 55-300mm as it already takes a small Nuclear Fusion to light up the subject
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
    JazzXP
    Cadet
    Cadet

by JazzXP » Tue May 08, 2012 10:11 am

Don't bother with a UV filter. Use the lens hood for protection (and to increase contrast). The front element can take quite a beating before it starts to affect your image quality.
    Nikon D5000 | Nikkor 18-55 | Nikkor 55-200 | Nikkor 50 f/1.4 | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | OLD Tamron 300mm (CT-300) | Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VRII
    General Photography
    Glamour Photography
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Tue May 08, 2012 10:51 am

Many years ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth and i was a young photographer ..................... lens coatings were in their infancy and very delicate, lenses were also unbelievably expensive.

UV filters were an essential to prevent normal wear and tear from damaging the coatings.

Modern lenses are much better and much cheaper. I do not bother with UV filters now, I have had a few lenses saved in the past by them but a good insurance policy and the ability to upgrade to new lenses that are constantly coming out is probably a better option.

I do have an individual polarizing filter for every lens I own and find them indispensable.
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • vlt87kal
    Cadet
    Cadet

by vlt87kal » Tue May 08, 2012 9:51 pm

cheers guys, yer i have also got a polarizing filter for every lens and never seemed to use UV filters, do you insure all your gear?? what company?? do u need receipts and so on?
    All Comments Welcome.......
    *PPOK*
  • tasherlock

Re: quick uv filter question

by tasherlock » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:33 pm

I recently bought a D3100.The handbook makes it clear to only use a NC (no colour) filter on the camera for lens protection only. .
    I have an elderly Manfrotto 190 tripod. Solid as a rock It has the screw in the head to screw the camera on. I would like to buy a quick release head to make removing the camera a lot easier. Any thoughts?
    tasherlock
    Big Red
    Cadet
    Cadet

Re: quick uv filter question

by Big Red » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:47 am

Manfrotto make a few heads with different removable plates ... i went for the "4" plates as it is the only one that fits the "geared head" that i prefer but if you want a pistol grip type head you can only get it in a "2"
    3 way heads come in either "2" or "4"

i use the Manfrotto 190 pro B X tripod with a 410 junior geared head which i find great for night, landscape, macro and long lenses

the rest of the time i hand hold anyway.