Waterproof housings
  • tryinghard

Waterproof housings

by tryinghard » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:04 am

Really keen to get shooting in the water- trying to decide the best way to get some decent shots. Do I save hard and purchase an SPL housing for my 600D or is it more cost effective to buy another camera like the G1X and a housing for that ? Anyone here got any experience in this area ? Would be very interested to hear some ideas. Thanks in advance.
    Geoff
    PPOK
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

Re: Waterproof housings

by Dug » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:07 am

I have been using a ewa marine bag housing for some years now and find it a great low cost housing.

I only use it for shallow water and occasional use but it was cheap, it fits a variety of cameras and lenses and it works for me.

I would try one and see how you go, if you get serious about it then invest in a full housing ..... but remember that even the most expensive housings do leak and they are generally VERY camera specific. If you lose your camera you may also need to replace the housing.
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
  • tryinghard

by tryinghard » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks Dug- I have the Dicapac which is similar but am struggling to get any consistency from it as the bag moves around, plus the controls are hard to use. Any tips ?

The bag is definitely too cumbersome to be out in the impact zone and I really wouldn't trust it out there.
    PPOK
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:43 pm

I have just set everything on auto and hit the shutter.

I have only used it in light surf conditions but have still got clobbered a few times

I would use a secure leash in anything heavier

90% of the shots were unusable but that is the beauty of digital you can go out and shoot 1,000 frames at no real cost.

As I said it suits me for what I do :D
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK