Computers and monitors
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Computers and monitors

by Busiboy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:48 pm

I'm getting close to a new computer, I've currently got an iMac, the big one.

I'm jack of the convert everything to mac format nd to b honest I've had no end of problems with this machine, ongoing faulty ram slots, two failed hard drives, fricken iCloud and time machine locking everything up.

I'm looking at a pc again, but I'm not sure where to go for a monitor, I checked the eizo gear, while impressive it's expensive.

How hard is it to get a respectable monitor these days?

The box bit is easy, bigger numbers is better, to a point, these 20mb files tend to slow the thinking down a bit.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Re: Computers and monitors

by beeb » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:10 pm

From personal experience - the Eizo's are stunning (and IMO go a fair way to justifying their pricetags).

However, if the price can't be justified - have a look at Asus, I believe they released a 24" IPS panel not too long ago. Generally speaking, IPS-panels are the go for editing (it's just a different technology/way of displaying the RBG pixels) - the big advantage of these panels though is their colour consistency and accuracy over extremely wide viewing angles. Most monitors if you bob up and down and side to side will change in brightness/contrast/and colour temp, but this only really occurs in IPS panels at extreme angles. FWIW, the 'Retina' displays in the high-end Apple products are generally IPS panels, and the benefit of buying a non-Apple screen is it doesn't have a gloss finish on it.

I'd avoid Dell's IPS models, but only because I'd avoid Dell EVERYTHING. Jump onto the reviews for their graphics/editing monitors and read the almost endless stream of negative reviews from customers and you might see why I don't trust them - especially for the amount of dollars being thrown around.

Also - Be aware that if you go with a 27"+ model - most monitors will require a graphics card that has Dual-DVI outputs at a minimum. This is because they can't shove enough information for the ultra-high resolutions down one cable.

HTH. :)
  • gerry
    Cadet
    Cadet

by gerry » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:00 pm

Dell U2713H or HM (for srgb only)

check here for decent reviews of monitors. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713h.htm
    just coz its the internet does not mean you can act like a dick :)
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:07 pm

pretty happy with my KOGAN 27" WQHD(2560x1440) IPS screen.. nothing fancy just does the job.
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Drop by "Image Science" especially their clearance corner from time to time. They offer heavily discounted good quality monitors. The type that generally have the built in calibration, so you won't need a spyder or munki on your back.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    ion_mihaila

by ion_mihaila » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:25 pm

The advantage you have with an external calibration device (Spyder or alike) is that you can calibrate multiple displays or laptops.
    C & C , PPOK welcome
    CraigVTR
    Reporter
    Reporter

by CraigVTR » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:12 am

Plays with Light wrote:Drop by "Image Science" especially their clearance corner from time to time. They offer heavily discounted good quality monitors. The type that generally have the built in calibration, so you won't need a spyder or munki on your back.

I just picked up NEC PA271W from Image Science for just over $1600, it is a stunning monitor at what I thought was a good price.
    I use the Spectraview software with Color Munki hardware for profiling.
    Regards
    Craig
    PPok Other pics in post OK
    So many forums, so little time.