Monochromatic Printing Services
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Monochromatic Printing Services

by Plays with Light » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:33 pm

Just wondering if any one can point me in the direction of a good printer for some pieces to be put on paper, about 12"x18" size. They will be monochromatic only.

Thanks in advance.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Monochromatic Printing Services

by Doug » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:32 am

Hmmm good question.

Its been quite a while since I had anything digital printed and it did not come out to well.
    They where a couple of colour pano's that I had printed average size as a test for getting something bigger done later.
    They came out a bit dark and lifeless looking in the colour.

So I hired a monitor calibrator and used it on my TN type screen and everything on screen looked horribly after that.
    I downloaded a Fujifilm test image and looked at it on the calibrated profile and it looked far from how I would edit it so I concluded "whats the point" and deleted the calibration profile.

I suspect it is to do with the suitability of TN monitors for critical image work and their lack of adjustability.

I also reedited an image on the calibrated profile and had that printed by the same place and it came out too dark to tell much about colour.

I've seen my images on a good screen and it was a bigger step in quality than was ever evident on my usual screen from going kit to L lens and also to FF.

I have said to you recently that a proper photo monitor is a priority for me, then I'll have another crack at getting prints done.

But anyway I used a place in Adelaide called Black & White Photographics http://www.blackandwhitephoto.com.au/
    It was one of a couple of places that where recommended to me when I did a similar forum inquiry.
    I chose Black & White Photographics because they had this section on there web site to help with getting a good result http://www.blackandwhitephoto.com.au/pr ... alibration
    which looked more helpful than anyone else was offering.

Their name would suggest they are all over B+W digital printing, but it is not singled out from general digital printing on the site.

I was going to ask the same thing when I went back to the Concrete, Space, Light exhibition.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:45 am

The AOC monitor I have seems good but just a little bright,

cheap as and nice feel to the captures out the box ,

had it 3 months now and am fairly happy ,,

had a gutfull of the online calibration garbage..

Just give me a picture and Ill get it as close as possible with my adjusting my screen.

?
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:40 am

Thanks, Doug and Eden.

Thus far, within Adelaide, I have only discovered:
    AtkinsTechnicolour

In Queensland:
    RGB

In Victoria:
    Image Science

Atkins are mentioned on a few websites of various Adelaide based photographic clubs as sponsors, so I reckon I'll start there.

I'm just interested in translating a few of my images onto print to see the difference, but don't just want to get them knocked off at officeworks or the like. If I am going to make the effort, I will go the whole hog!
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:53 pm

Just got back from going to the exhibition again.
    Wayne Griveil was doing the talk today.

He had to shoot off not long after, but Mark Zet was in attendance as well, he did the shots on display that where for SA Water and one of the Parliament house ceiling.

I asked Mark about printing and he said for work that includes exhibition quality printing use Atkins but you tend to pay for it.
    Then his preference was Black & White Photographics, not as pricey, they can hit the mark for exhibition quality if that is what is needed but not as consistently.

Hope that helps.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:09 pm

Doug wrote:Just got back from going to the exhibition again.
    Wayne Griveil was doing the talk today.

He had to shoot off not long after, but Mark Zet was in attendance as well, he did the shots on display that where for SA Water and one of the Parliament house ceiling.

I asked Mark about printing and he said for work that includes exhibition quality printing use Atkins but you tend to pay for it.
    Then his preference was Black & White Photographics, not as pricey, they can hit the mark for exhibition quality if that is what is needed but not as consistently.

Hope that helps.

Hope you got some pearls of wisdom from Mr Grivell, Doug. I'll be going in to the exhibition this week, am just getting over a lurgy right now...