Freya
    GeoffM
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Freya

by GeoffM » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:32 pm

My eldest daughter from today, 35/1.4 @1.4, 1/50s

Fuji | X-Pro1 | XE-1 | XT-1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com
    http://xtographer.weebly.com
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Re: Freya

by beeb » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:53 pm

Not feeling this one TBH Geoff. Nothing against the composition and so-on, but there appears to be some adjustment brush or dodging that had lost a lot of the tonal detail of your daughter's face.

The main point for me is the nose disappears, and it almost appears like there is a little too much brightness/smoothness on the near-side cheek. I am very much not a people-photographer though, so I am only offering my very amatuer opinion.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:24 pm

Firstly - I hope you don't mind me editing your image!

I found the original lighting a little flat/vague, so I have tried to brighten the far side of her face to even out exposure across her face a little more, and worked with the dodge tool to help define the shape of her nose. (Hopefully) Both these changes generally make the lighting appear more directional, while still retaining the smooth soft look of the original image.

I also darkened the area under the chin to focus attention on the face more, and brought out the highlights and contrast on the eyes slightly to increase their impact on the viewer.

If the re-edit is an issue, let me know and I'll remove it a.s.a.p. :wink:

(There is differences I swear! Might need to save both and flick between them. I liked the subtle tones, so didn't want to go heavy-handed with the editing...)
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Geoff there's something very nice about you image just the way it is and cant put my finger on it .
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)