Assorted images (CC welcomed)
  • Marios

Assorted images (CC welcomed)

by Marios » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:00 pm

Hello all from Melbourne, I recently got started in Terrestrial photography. I am also a keen amateur astro photographer but I don't get the opportunity to get out often.
    I picked up a 1200D for Christmas with a standard 18 -55 kit lens and these are the images.

Last edited by Marios on Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • old4570

Re: Assorted images

by old4570 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:36 am

2 - 3 - 4 are real nice ..

Hmmm , is it Christmas or is this forum a little , quiet ?
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:21 am

Welcome Marios, 1 and 2 and nice shots. Echidna's are cute little buggers. :) I'm an old stick in the mud when it comes to HDR, and can't see that the HDR processing in #3 is really adding anything much to the shot (not looking to offend, just thinking maybe editing a normal exposure edited more aggressively may show off the image a little better). Some people love it though, so knock yourself out if it pleases you. :)

old4570 - It's a little of both I'd say. One of the main difficulties is it's always difficult for established members to judge what a new member is seeking from a forum. If members are looking for helpful critique when they are new to the forum, including a text byline stating "CC welcomed" (CC = Constructive Critique) or any similar phrase can be a very helpful indicator to other members what you're seeking from the forum.

In regards to your shots - While I don't mind macros, they're not necessarily a huge interest of mine, so I tend not to have too much to say on the matter. Though there's probably a couple of other members on here who'll really enjoy them. If you post up some landscapes/seascapes/urban/architectural shots, I am more likely to get involved. If you are ok with some CC being offered, there's a couple of comments I would add to your thread(s), but I don't want to tread on anyone's toes and put them off the forum when they've just joined.

While it can be a quiet forum, I'd say it's worth hanging around. There's a deep well of knowledge to be drawn from once you get to know who's lurking about the place.

Anyway - sorry for the thread high-jack Marios!
  • Marios

Re: Assorted images CC welcomed

by Marios » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:49 pm

beeb wrote:Welcome Marios, 1 and 2 and nice shots. Echidna's are cute little buggers. :) I'm an old stick in the mud when it comes to HDR, and can't see that the HDR processing in #3 is really adding anything much to the shot (not looking to offend, just thinking maybe editing a normal exposure edited more aggressively may show off the image a little better). Some people love it though, so knock yourself out if it pleases you. :)

old4570 - It's a little of both I'd say. One of the main difficulties is it's always difficult for established members to judge what a new member is seeking from a forum. If members are looking for helpful critique when they are new to the forum, including a text byline stating "CC welcomed" (CC = Constructive Critique) or any similar phrase can be a very helpful indicator to other members what you're seeking from the forum.

In regards to your shots - While I don't mind macros, they're not necessarily a huge interest of mine, so I tend not to have too much to say on the matter. Though there's probably a couple of other members on here who'll really enjoy them. If you post up some landscapes/seascapes/urban/architectural shots, I am more likely to get involved. If you are ok with some CC being offered, there's a couple of comments I would add to your thread(s), but I don't want to tread on anyone's toes and put them off the forum when they've just joined.

While it can be a quiet forum, I'd say it's worth hanging around. There's a deep well of knowledge to be drawn from once you get to know who's lurking about the place.

Anyway - sorry for the thread high-jack Marios!

Hi TIm

I welcome the CC this is how I will get better at my craft. I agree with pic 3 it is overly processed in HDR, I will reprocess it and post soon.
    I'm also interested in what makes a shot good in your case you said you liked pic 1 and 2 can you elaborate on specific features.?

Thank you and Happy new years to all..

• beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Re: Assorted images CC welcomed

by beeb » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:07 pm

Marios wrote:Hi TIm

I welcome the CC this is how I will get better at my craft. I agree with pic 3 it is overly processed in HDR, I will reprocess it and post soon.
    I'm also interested in what makes a shot good in your case you said you liked pic 1 and 2 can you elaborate on specific features.?

Thank you and Happy new years to all..

Great to hear mate.

With #1, I like the detail of the pollen on the bee, and the way all the spikes of the flower (around the outside) point towards it - it really drives my eye straight to the main subject. The lighting's good given no flash being used (nice and even - no excessive dark shadows or blown out highlights). It's a pleasent shot. Maybe for the future, you could try composing it so the flower and bee aren't so central in the image, ie: move them off to the right a little IMO. Then then out-of focus area on the left would create a (dark) nice backdrop to the main focus of the image, and having more of that in frame rather than the bright foliage on the right would direct the eye to look at the bright colours of the flower first. Minor stuff, but might create a little more impact from the shot overall, and allow the subjects to stand out from their surrounds a little more (though they're quite reasonable as is).

With #2 - Well, it's an Echidna (they just look cool!) and it isn't digging its head into the ground trying to hide for starters! :lol: Not sure what you're using for editing, but if it's Lightroom, Photoshop, or something else that offers the feature, maybe try turning down the saturation on the green channel a bit as the grass looks a little oversaturated (too colourful to look realistic.) Like shot #1, you could try offsetting the composition to give the Echidna some room "to move into" in the frame, as it implies that the subject is about move into the empty space - creating a sense of action in the image. It may sound a bit rediculous, but for a more extreme example - if you were shooting something like a racecar - the princinple really comes into play. It's not that the Echidna's about to go racing off across the grass at 100mph, but it just adds a dynamic sense of movement to the image that's still effective for an image like this. By comparison, while #4 is of the same subject, the nose and toes are at or past the edge of the frame, the viewpoint seems much higher which hides a lot of the animal's face, and unfortunately makes the picture feel somewhat off balance, and lacking a clear focal point or context to the subject.

To my eye, the re-work of #3 looks much better, and a lot more natural. Good stuff. :) I can't help wondering what that scene would look like on sunset though. Dusk hues in the sky, the coloured light vividly painting the trees a deep orange, with crisp dark shadows accentuating the knarled shapes of the trees... :wink: A lot of landscape photography is waiting for (and being lucky with) the available light, but it still looks good, with plenty of shapes, and good depth to the image thanks to the "layers of trees" effect created from using a wide focal length (how the closer trees look much closer/larger than the ones in the background), so nothing to be ashamed of!

Anyway - seeking CC is a great way to progress while you learn to critique your own work. I hope some of the others will offer some CC too, as you'll quickly find that everyone views things differently, and has different ideas on ideas to try. It's a great guideline, but don't be afraid to explore your own style or techniques too, CC's always valuable as you'll learn a heap of little tips, tricks and techniques to do all sorts of things with the image. :wink:
  • Marios

Re: Assorted images (CC welcomed)

by Marios » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:33 pm

Hi Tim

Please see my Edkina with the toned Green. I am waiting on some graduated filters will attempt that landscape shot again.

What you think of my swan?

• beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:18 pm

Echidna shot is definitely an improvement. The shot of the swan is probably a miss for me if I'm to be honest. Impressed you've gotten so close to an often nervy animal, but the background is killing the shot in my opinion. The post is the main killer as it's so close to the back of the bird, but whatever's in the top of the frame isn't ideal either. Maybe try the lens at its longest focal length (might help blur the background), and be watchful of distracting objects behind the subject. It's always a bit of trial and error, keep on playing around with different things. One thing that's worth trying - Jump onto flickr or 500px or similar and check out images of things you're interested in (probably Wildlife and Bird Photography at a guess... :wink: ), and look at a few pictures you really like and try to pick out what it is you like about them, then try adding those features to your own work.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:40 pm

beeb wrote:While it can be a quiet forum, I'd say it's worth hanging around. There's a deep well of knowledge to be drawn from once you get to know who's lurking about the place.

Very true.

I have been active in several forums over the years (still am, some more that others), each offers something different and each is populated by people that I have had a more immediate interest in the things I felt I most needed to learn at the time, as I have developed in my photography.

Some forums have dedicated beginners sections where more experienced photographers enjoy passing on the basics of photography, offer solutions to technical mistakes and suggest other more accepted ways to compose an image.
    I've involved myself in this for a time and enjoyed doing it, but it wears you down after a while with the repetition and the often lengthy explanations required to do it properly.
    Getting down the basics is important when someone is starting, but I began to wonder if I was becoming part of the reinforcing conformity in images that can be prevalent also on curtain forums.

All forums are made up of individuals, so I don't want to to pigeon hole this one, but rather to tell you what I get from it that I don't get from the other ones.
    CC of the "it would be better if you did it this way" variety is not often given here, like Beeb said you need to spell it out that you are learning and after some different view points to get that normally.

A number of regulars here believe strongly in not imposing their own vision on what others present here, they are encouraging the individual to find their own voice in photography and it is how you saw it that matters.

Many are also looking for something beyond a well taken picture of something, their interest to comment is more likely to be sparked if the picture is about something, has a feel or mood, tells a story, or gives a different way of presenting the subject.

These are the aspects of photography that interest me the most now, so comments about them are the most valued to me.

So get involved in a few different forums as well as this one would be my suggestion, get to know what each has of value for you to take away and grow in your photography.
    I believe you will learn in the long run more fulfilling aspects of Photography as a long term hobby here, than you will on most other sites.

P.S. There is a section on this forum called Critics Corner set aside for those who are after their image to be picked a part a bit.
    It was last used in 2012 see don't expect everyone to notice straight away that you posted from this section if you use it.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:56 am

Welcome aboard ! !

You got very close to some of those animals.

There seems to be something funky going on with the landscape.

With the animal shots, I'd be trying to shoot them as a portrait, when doing so you want the camera to be eye level with your subject roughly.

The change in perspective can make a huge difference.

old4570 wrote:2 - 3 - 4 are real nice ..

Hmmm , is it Christmas or is this forum a little , quiet ?

Its a busy time of year, I know I haven't' stopped in the last week or so.

Family, kids, sick kids, building a truckload of flat pack mowing, catching up outside. Its the time of year I have off, but seem to work harder than normal.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • Marios

by Marios » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:59 pm

Thank you for the input everyone.. :D