Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

evening company

by Eden » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:08 am

there every night catching insects on the window
    brings a smile to my face every time

ImageIMG_1427 by Eden Leverington, on Flickr
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: evening company

by Doug » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:47 am

Love it. :)
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:04 am

Does he lose his grip and flop down onto the bed like they do up in the tropics?

Lovely capture. I'd keep a daily vigil to see if he settles in just a little better orientation with the lead work.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:15 am

On the glass/leadlight its little suckers or pads do just fine and it is ever so entertaining watching the agile scramblings after mozzies and other insects.

It was just after 11pm and the hallway light showed it's white belly on the glass so I flicked the outside light on so as to get a silhouette and it pretty well froze with head blocked by the leadwork.

I will try again over the next few nights for sure hoping to catch it wholly on glass
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:12 am

OR, just get more of the head outline silhouetted without obstruction.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:54 am

Cheers Walter,

I will give it a go and camp out by the door for an hour or so tonight or tomorrow.

I think I am going to have to shoot on more of an angle to get the outside light in alignment as the it holds its head away from the glass unlike those little feet.

being in line with the outside light may give me a crisper outline of its body and head.

A little patience might also help :)
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:26 pm

Eden wrote:A little patience might also help :)

The most important bit of kit to pack on every shoot. Doesn't hurt to also pack an open mind and a 6-pack of alertness.
    Walter Glover

Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:37 pm

Very cute! Have you ever had the opportunity to touch or hold one? They are amazingly soft. We have Marbled Geckoes in our garden and come across them when digging over a patch. I'm still yet to capture one on camera.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:09 pm

Yes the 6 pack method works a treat for me Walter.

and yes we have heaps Alex as they love the brickwork around here and the sandy soil is a favourite spot for the egg laying hideaways they have everywhere.

I still have small piles of red bricks around the house and if stacked with a slight gap between each for the bottom few layers along with a small sprinkle of loose sand they lay eggs there every time.

they roam the gardens at night here and you can see eggs in them as they expose their underbellies climbing over the veggies and plants.

I will grab a shot or two tonight as the stringy bark gum out the back dropped a small limb yesterday and I noted a gecko had been killed in the process, the small black ants we have here stripped it to the bone in about 4 hrs leaving nothing but the skull and spine behind.

a few more hours of painting and I wont be able to hold myself back from getting a few shots with the macro :)

oh well back to the bathroom ceiling :(
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK