Test #2
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Test #2

by beeb » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:56 pm

Well it was meant to be test #2 of the reflective ball...

...buuuuuuuuuuuuuut I forgot to pack the ball in the car. :oops: :lol:

So I experimented with some other effects that may be useful down the track so it wasn't a totally wasted afternoon: :lol:

Intrigued to hear what people think of this first one...

Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Test #2

by Eden » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:13 pm

It is just another time portal,
    what is so special!

;)

(I want to see a path or I wont jump!)
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    evat601

by evat601 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:02 pm

Tim, I like the idea, but think I need to see the all edges of the mirror (and their reflection).

Because of the large tree on the right and logs on the bottom, I almost miss the mirror altogether.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:38 pm

It's a shame you forgot the ball, but lucky to find that big mirror :wink:

Plenty of possibility.
    A mirror on the ground acting like a reflective pool could be interesting.
    A mirror where an object passes through the mirror and both reflects back at an angle and continues on to appear from behind the mirror.
    and so on.
  • Ausee

by Ausee » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:47 am

Interesting idea, I tend to agree with evat601
    Cheers from Colin
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:50 pm

Eden wrote:It is just another time portal,
    what is so special!

;)

(I want to see a path or I wont jump!)

I'm a little concerned about what will happen if I post a similar image with a path showing - We don't want you launching yourself headfirst into your monitor! :P

evat601 wrote:Tim, I like the idea, but think I need to see the all edges of the mirror (and their reflection).

Because of the large tree on the right and logs on the bottom, I almost miss the mirror altogether.

I'm torn with this one. Part of the thought process was I wanted it to be almost hidden - Camouflaged in its surrounds if you follow me, but I do think the L/H edge is a bit too indistinct... I just couldn't find a variation I was happy with there. I also want to try a version that has an obvious frame too however, but am thinking it will need a more defined subject (a figure, or interesting tree, etc...) to be reflected within the frame, or to utilise it more as a doorway to another space - this was purely playing with the illusion to get started. (But ta for the feedback, it was right along the lines of what of I was wondering about how it appeared to a viewer who was approaching it "cold").

Doug wrote:It's a shame you forgot the ball, but lucky to find that big mirror :wink:

Plenty of possibility.
    A mirror on the ground acting like a reflective pool could be interesting.
    A mirror where an object passes through the mirror and both reflects back at an angle and continues on to appear from behind the mirror.
    and so on.

I had planned to try your first suggestion there Doug, but despite being cloudy the sky was still extremely bright and against the dark trees it was too much dynamic range for the camera. Another outing at a better time of day will get around this though. :wink:

The second suggestion I love, and am also already wanting to try. But it's a very, very complex image to create. It needs a lot of different source images to work from, and everything to line up very neatly. I will have play with it soon - but it'll be a few steps down the road from here. :wink: It's been a while since I've played so in-depth with these more invasive editing techniques, so I'm trying to refresh the techniques in my mind, create a good workflow, and tune my eyes to the task to (hopefully) keep everything looking convincing (relatively speaking...) and cohesive. I'm enjoying the challenge though! :lol:
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:04 pm

Interesting Ideas .. still needs development but interesting :-)

Only want to add 1 technical detail. Mirrors are usually slightly darker than the actual.. only a tiny bit but subconciously noticable :-)
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:00 pm

It might pay to sketch out some strong conceptual ideas on paper for your final images and fine tune the idea that way.
    Use photos of actual settings to base the sketches on.
    Then you will know you will be channeling the work and effort into something that will have a desired impact and composition.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:28 pm

Doug wrote:It might pay to sketch out some strong conceptual ideas on paper for your final images and fine tune the idea that way.
    Use photos of actual settings to base the sketches on.
    Then you will know you will be channeling the work and effort into something that will have a desired impact and composition.

This is not a bad idea at all. At the moment all the ideas are tumbling around like clothes in a washing machine, might help me to tie down some better defined concepts like you say. Ta for the suggestions.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:57 pm

Also consider more stripped back settings for a stronger first impression.

Here is an image search for Storm Thorgerson ,he is the master of this. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Stor ... 1&bih=1182
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:30 pm

Great advice and suggestions from Doug. Sketching things up was a big part of my exploring before getting out with the kit for a lot of my architectural investigations last year. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this heads, Tim. 8)
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.