• beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Playing with a new toy...

by beeb » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:14 pm

In a belated answer to this:

Doug wrote:Did you go the 70-300L?

The answer is... No. :lol:

I bought a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM "Art" Lens instead. And I've gotta say, I am absolutely blown away by this lens. Sharp where it's focused, beautifully blurred in the OOF/bokeh areas, colour-fringing is almost non-existant (sweet ectasy!), AF is fast and accurate on the 5DIII (my biggest concern prior to buying the lens), just a great performer all round. Sigma's certainly thrown down the challenge to Canon and Nikon in the lens department with the higher-end lenses they've been releasing recently.

Initial shot to share is taken in Infrared, where it is also a surprisingly excellent performer (lenses faster than f/4 rarely work well with IR, creating bright 'hot-spots' in the centre-of-frame. This only occured in this lens if stopped-down...).

Looking forward to more play-time with this lens already!
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Playing with a new toy...

by Doug » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:47 pm

The 3rd party lenses are undergoing something of an image change in resent times (in all senses of the word).

Tamron's 15-30mm f/2.8 with VC is getting a great rap as well for example.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:03 pm

I think it just highlights how long the "brand name" manufacturers have been resting on their laurels. Several of the Canon L-series lens designs are over 10 years old now - and technology has come a long way in that time.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:21 pm

And a colour snapshot:

Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:44 pm

Both shots are "sweet as"

you must be happy with the new toy!

I love the new Sigma I have!
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:46 am

beeb wrote:I think it just highlights how long the "brand name" manufacturers have been resting on their laurels. Several of the Canon L-series lens designs are over 10 years old now - and technology has come a long way in that time.

My favorite for usage is the Canon 24-105L, it's one of those 10yr oldies.
    Sigma had the opportunity with their equivalent in the ART range to take a large market share of this popular lens, but failed to be convincingly better than Canons good but not great design.

Hopefully its on Canon's short list, they have done two new 24-70's in that time.
    Biggest challenge would be making it, cheap and profitable to still serve as a kit lens, but better and still an L build.
    Maybe Sigma ran into the same problem that it is a tricky zoom range to do well, particularly on a limited price point.

This interview with Sigma's CEO was an interesting read.
    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/864147 ... -interview
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:30 am

Doug wrote:My favorite for usage is the Canon 24-105L, it's one of those 10yr oldies.

I'll pay that, the 24-105 is a good lens and a dependable and versatile workhorse. I reckon they'd actually struggle to improve it too much. Maybe freshen up the glass (the actual lens elements) to give a touch more colour and contrast, but other than that it's a very well-rounded package that covers a difficult focal range to fit into one lens. It's not the absolute sharpest, but it's pretty good for what it is.

I was massively underwhelmed by the 24-70mm f/2.8 L II (Downright annoyed if I'm to be honest). I had one for about a week before I sold it. I bought it with my 5D Mark III as a kit, and was not amused when it did almost everything worse than the 24-105. Heavy vignetting and masses of distortion. Barreling on the wide end, pinched in on the long end. Thing was a nightmare.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:59 am

beeb wrote:
    I was massively underwhelmed by the 24-70mm f/2.8 L II (Downright annoyed if I'm to be honest). I had one for about a week before I sold it. I bought it with my 5D Mark III as a kit, and was not amused when it did almost everything worse than the 24-105. Heavy vignetting and masses of distortion. Barreling on the wide end, pinched in on the long end. Thing was a nightmare.

Interesting.
    It's resolution must have drawn attention away from these issues to some extent in reviews.
    Nothing there that is going to be fixed with a better copy either.

Just going from 105 to just 70mm would be enough to annoy me. I'm so used to that dipping into the telephoto range without a lens change.