First panorama & edit attempt
  • bdydrp

First panorama & edit attempt

by bdydrp » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi,
    Was at Port Stephens recently and tried my hand at a panorama and stitching photos with some editing.
    Love to hear some feedback and any suggestions form improvement

• beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Re: First panorama & edit attempt

by beeb » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:44 pm

Nice enough shot. Tones are well-controlled with the clouds being nicely defined.

There's not really anything "wrong" with it, except for maybe lacking a little for an eye-catching feature. For example (and not knowing the area at all...) - If that mountain on the far right of frames was a bit closer in it would break up the flatness of the water and distant horizon a little more.

Other than that, maybe experiment with shooting at different times of day. This is nice and bright and colourful, but a sunrise/sunset shot will change the look of the scene completely and probably inject a bit of extra "drama". Just after the sun drops below the horizon on a night with a colourful sky could work wonders - The colourful sky mirrored by the water, while the landmass falls into a deep silhouette, lights starting to shine in the town below.

Just a couple of ideas to toy with anyway. :)
  • bdydrp

by bdydrp » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:19 pm

Thanks Beep,

Some good ideas for me to keep in mind next time.

Adam.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:32 pm

It looks like a successful stitching of the images, no kinks, waves or excessive bends in the horizon.
    The left third looks to me like the camera did an exposure change going by the change in colour of the ocean at that point.

Stitching software often does an exposure transition over the stitch, but I prefer to use manual exposure or exposure lock when taking images for stitching.
    It won't fix a brightness difference between one side of a pano and the other, but it will give a more seamless transition.

Panoramas where everything is at a distance are the least difficult to get right, but probably the hardest to make interesting when small..
    They need to be printed large to feel drawn into the picture and get the full effect, as well as be able to appreciate the details.

I saw a large panorama in a museum showing the city of Dunedin (New Zealand) in it's very early days.
    It held my interest for ages, looking at the ships in the port, steam in the rail yards, the industry, the city centre and the layout of the roads dividing up the area with all the free space yet to be grown into.
    So much information in one picture, it was amazing.
  • bdydrp

by bdydrp » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:40 pm

Haven't used exposure lock, so will read up on it..

Funny you should mention panoramas need to be printed large, the misses would like this printed and on glass. With the glass being about 1000x400 ( or there abouts)

Anyone have any experience with printing direct to glass? Or could can recommend a place?

Cheers
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:30 pm

bdydrp wrote:Haven't used exposure lock, so will read up on it..

Funny you should mention panoramas need to be printed large, the misses would like this printed and on glass. With the glass being about 1000x400 ( or there abouts)

Anyone have any experience with printing direct to glass? Or could can recommend a place?

Cheers

I don't know about glass prints other than I have seen that BigW and Harvey's do them.
    That glass size is a 2.5:1 ratio and your pano is a little over 5:1 by my reckoning so this image is going to be a 200mm strip through the middle of the 400mm high glass.
    To fill the glass you are going to want to crop off half the image.
    I think using the right 2/3 (will leave a bit of a boarder top and bottom) would be a stronger image content wise than the full width you have here.

If 1000x400 is the widest aspect ratio in glass, you could always make a left half crop and a right half crop and get two prints that fill the glass done, then butt them together on the wall as another option.
    Would look impressive in size, but it depends how much you want to invest in this your first pano.
  • bdydrp

by bdydrp » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:05 pm

That glass size is just an estimate.

From flickr I uploaded the 2048*390 size. Wasn't sure on forum rules and sizes etc.

The actual pano size 12196*2325. without knowing much about aspect ratios, I'm guessing this is quite large?
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:58 pm

bdydrp wrote:That glass size is just an estimate.

From flickr I uploaded the 2048*390 size. Wasn't sure on forum rules and sizes etc.

The actual pano size 12196*2325. without knowing much about aspect ratios, I'm guessing this is quite large?

Aspect ratio is how many times the longest size is bigger than the other side.
    So this actual size has a length about 5 times longer than the height. 5.24 and then some to be precise.

Rounded off to any existing pre made glass ratio you are likely to find, it is 5 to 1 or 5:1.
    Just keep in mind the length vs the width of the glass sizes you find and imagine how the image will fit on it is all I am getting at.

Glass will be fixed sizes (unless someone will do custom) it is different with a paper where they can just print on to a wide roll of paper and cut the image from it whatever sizes it is.