Himeji Gardens Panorama
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Himeji Gardens Panorama

by Plays with Light » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:29 pm

A quick handheld pano, stitched in Lightroom from three frames.

_MG_1346-Pano.jpg by Alexander ., on Flickr
    Last edited by Plays with Light on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Re: Himeji Gardens Panorama

by beeb » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:06 pm

I like the scene in this one Alex, lots of detail - but maybe a revisit in slightly softer light would give it the finishing touches? It might be my monitor calibration compared to yours, but this appears very bright on my screen. On a compositional note - (To me) the very outside edges aren't really adding to the image, and tend to lead my eye away from the three central features (the reeds on the LHS, statue in centre, and tree/reflection and grassy rocks on the RHS). I had a tinker a came up with this - but that's just how I see it! :) FWIW - for the edit I mainly tried to recover the highlights and midtones, and seperate the statue from the water by darkening the water. I also tweaked the colour to give the scene a warmer feel, but it may not be representative of how it actually looked! :lol:

20649188908_fbb66ae4ad_kb.jpg

With slightly lower/softer light I reckon there's a great B&W lurking in there too. :wink:
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:28 pm

beeb wrote:I like the scene in this one Alex, lots of detail - but maybe a revisit in slightly softer light would give it the finishing touches? It might be my monitor calibration compared to yours, but this appears very bright on my screen. On a compositional note - (To me) the very outside edges aren't really adding to the image, and tend to lead my eye away from the three central features (the reeds on the LHS, statue in centre, and tree/reflection and grassy rocks on the RHS). I had a tinker a came up with this - but that's just how I see it! :) FWIW - for the edit I mainly tried to recover the highlights and midtones, and seperate the statue from the water by darkening the water. I also tweaked the colour to give the scene a warmer feel, but it may not be representative of how it actually looked! :lol:

20649188908_fbb66ae4ad_kb.jpg

With slightly lower/softer light I reckon there's a great B&W lurking in there too. :wink:

It's always interesting to hear others takes on an image, Tim. I appreciate the time you took with this.

It was indeed very harsh sunlight yesterday when these frames were captured, the only PP I did was to drop the highlights severely, set the black and white points, then sharpen a tad and lower the luminosity of the blues and greens a tad too. It was more an exercise in seeing how Lightroom merged handheld images and I was suitably impressed with it for a complicated landscape. I don't think it would fare quite so well with architecture though, but I'll give it a try some time and see.

It is an image I want to return for, with softer light and a lack of tourists! I hadn't thought of B&W treatment at all. I'll make sure to take the T/S with me for this one and my tripod, which I forgot yesterday after having everything else ready for some long exposures around the city. :oops:

My colour matching was through a custom white balance in camera and then the colourmunki card in Lightroom, if that makes sense? It's my normal procedure, anywhere I take images. I have been surprised viewing some of my images on an Eizo as compared to my iMac. Eventually I will just work from a MacBook Pro and an Eizo monitor.

Thanks again, Tim, it's much appreciated.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:49 pm

Plays with Light wrote:It's always interesting to hear others takes on an image, Tim. I appreciate the time you took with this.

It was indeed very harsh sunlight yesterday when these frames were captured, the only PP I did was to drop the highlights severely, set the black and white points, then sharpen a tad and lower the luminosity of the blues and greens a tad too. It was more an exercise in seeing how Lightroom merged handheld images and I was suitably impressed with it for a complicated landscape. I don't think it would fare quite so well with architecture though, but I'll give it a try some time and see.

It is an image I want to return for, with softer light and a lack of tourists! I hadn't thought of B&W treatment at all. I'll make sure to take the T/S with me for this one and my tripod, which I forgot yesterday after having everything else ready for some long exposures around the city. :oops:

My colour matching was through a custom white balance in camera and then the colourmunki card in Lightroom, if that makes sense? It's my normal procedure, anywhere I take images. I have been surprised viewing some of my images on an Eizo as compared to my iMac. Eventually I will just work from a MacBook Pro and an Eizo monitor.

Thanks again, Tim, it's much appreciated.

Makes my colour matching seem very freeform. :lol: 99.99% of the time my camera is set on 'AWB' to get it close enough, and then I tweak by eye as desired in CameraRaw. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. While there is times when I do use a custom WB (normally in controlled/artificial lighting scenarios) I don't put too much faith in letting technology find the "right" white balance. I don't doubt that the technology can do a very good job of finding a balanced WB, but that's beside the point for me. Sometimes (normally landscapes) I want a warmer colour range/feel, sometimes with my urban/architecture shots I want a cooler colour range to help make things appear a bit more formal and/or bleak. I view it a bit like letting the camera set the metering in AV mode, sometimes a bit of exposure compensation (or in this case WB unbalancing... :P ) is desired to match the output image to the creative intent or desired "feel". Just my 2c and only to be taken with a grain of salt... :)

This shot already offers plenty, but I look forward to seeing the revisit. :) (And yep, Eizos are the bomb!)
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:58 pm

beeb wrote:This shot already offers plenty, but I look forward to seeing the revisit. :)

Here's what I could squeeze out of Lightroom with it, I kept in mind your suggestions about the framing/cropping of it amongst other things and feel this is better now. Thanks again, Tim.

_MG_1346-Pano.jpg by Alexander ., on Flickr

_MG_1346-Pano-2.jpg by Alexander ., on Flickr