Around the corner from Alex's Monestry shot :)
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Around the corner from Alex's Monestry shot :)

by Eden » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:09 pm

ImageIMG_9333 by Eden Leverington, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9326 by Eden Leverington, on Flickr

Just loved the lines,

( the cars rolling off the cliff spoil it every now n then. )
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Around the corner from Alex's Monestry shot :)

by Plays with Light » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:16 pm

Love the first one, with all those lines, shadows and the sheep all neatly in a line too!

I had to check the next image larger (on flickr) to see the car bodies in the gully, I hadn't noticed them down there before.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:20 pm

Quite a few have been removed over the years but 4 or 5 are still there and waiting for me to get down there
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:58 pm

I quite like the second, it has a sunny Sunday afternoon drive feel too it (even if it was taken on a Thursday... :lol: )

IMO - The first holds more potential waiting to be unlocked. I'd be inclined to warm the colours a bit, as it looks a little washed out to my eyes (or try adding a CPL when shooting).

To delve into the technical nitty-gritty for a moment - I noticed in the exif on flickr that the sheep shot was taken at f/20, was that a holdover from some of the landscape shots? It's just it seems a very narrow aperture... Even for the landscapes I would think f/16 would give ample DOF and allow ISO's 2/3rds of a stop lower ISO for the same shutter speed. For this shot at the long end of the focal range DOF would only appear a negligable amount different too, and with less diffraction and a shorter shutter speed to boot. It also looks like the sheep are running, so the 1/125th shutter speed is really pushing the limits of getting a subject motion-blur free shot. Maybe even f/8 or f/11 could've been an option to help pull the shutter speed down and freeze the action a bit more, while still maintaining similar overall appearance in the image.

Believe me, I'm not trying to rubbish the shot. As it stands - Great subject, great timing of the lighting, nice framing, quick tweak of the colours and hey-presto - Cracker shot. But a few little setting tweaks might improve some of the fine detail in future shoots (I'm a pixel-peeper, apologies... :oops: :lol: ). But I've also been on the flip-side of the equation where I'm all set-up for landscape shots and just see a moment and grab the shot - you know the settings aren't perfect, but they're close enough to capture the shot and it's tricky to change two or three settings at once while trying to frame and snap the shot that's disappearing before your eyes. :)
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:11 am

Yeah your spot on with the aperture Tim

I had the camera in my hand and didn't stop to think when I saw this hill face,

thought about the metering and not the basics, I cursed myself when I got home as I have a few I like from that location but not stopping and thinking gets me quite often. I will learn the hard way if nothing else :roll:

I don't do any processing other than a quick brighten contrast etc other than with windows picture editor, I have the software but the laptop I am using overheats even uploading more than 4 shots to flickr and crashes in a hissy fit while processing anything that uses the graphics chip.

another 6 months and I will build a new desktop and get a bigger screen and no doubt still forget to do the basics and think before pressing the button.

:)

And I always appreciate the advice as I still make the most basic mistakes every time I go out ,

Cheers Heaps

Eden
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:11 pm

I had to go back and look, you had my interest up.

even though I'm still not totally happy with the results maybe I did go through the motions.

strewth!

f10 1/200 100 iso and still needs a lot of processing Hah

ImageIMG_9340 by Eden Leverington, on Flickr
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:26 pm

I'm impressed by the turnaround time to get back out there Eden!

Technically improved (though there is a lot of sharpening applied?), but somewhat lacking the overall feel of the original (as always - the intangible feel is a lot harder to capture than the technical 'ey? 8) ). Still looks to be ample DOF, in the future even f/8 and ISO 200 could be worth a trial, would take shutter speeds up around the 1/500th mark. But regardless, it's a pleasant shot and practicing technique isn't a bad thing. :)