The Hills...
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

The Hills...

by beeb » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:02 pm

...were alive with the sound of silence. :D

Took a very pleasant afternoon drive up through Malmsbury, Taradale and then across to Metcalfe (all in central Victoria) and ended up stopping on the roadside for these shots of the hills in the early evening as I departed Metcalfe township to head home. Beautiful day, a nice way to spend it, and so good to finally see the sun out again! :)
    Black Cow by T. Flack, on Flickr

And looking back the other way, making use of the shadows:
    Quiet... by T. Flack, on Flickr
    Last edited by beeb on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: The Hills...

by Doug » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:23 pm

I like the subtle shadow hillside detail of the last one particularly.
    I would even suggest cropping it closer to the top of the trees to make that dark area even more a feature of the image.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:47 pm

I'm with Doug, that last image has some fine bones to it, Tim. The tones are great, the simplicity is perfect and a wide crop as Doug suggested does bring your eye down and across the image nicely, as viewed by scrolling down the page a touch.
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:21 pm

Thanks guys, the last was my favourite too. Interesting the suggestions to trim the top, it's been an occasionally theme with people's comments on my shots over the years. Normally I ignore it ( :lol: ) but I could actually see a pano crop (top and bottom trimmed into 16:9) working alright for this one after having a quick tinker. I had left this one framed more loosely to add that feeling of stillness or "quiet" to the image, but it still retains the majority of that when cropped.

I generally struggle with different crops as they often just looked unbalanced to me. I (and I suspect most of us) would semi-conciously compose for the camera's native format, and I know I personally struggle to un-see how I've already seen (or presented) an image. I'm not a huge fan of panoramic formats overall, so I guess I tend not to think about it as much as I should on such occasions. Cheers lads, something to ponder. :)
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:52 am

Just love that last shot , what a cracker !!
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK