Golden Cow

Dusk

by beeb » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:53 pm

• beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Re: Dusk

by beeb » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:28 pm

My preferred (but ran out of time to edit yesterday...) version of the shot above - taken a few minutes earlier which caught the sun on the hillside and with a longer focal length (85mm vs 24mm):

And another couple of random shots from the afternoon:

Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:01 am

beeb wrote:My preferred (but ran out of time to edit yesterday...) version of the shot above - taken a few minutes earlier which caught the sun on the hillside and with a longer focal length (85mm vs 24mm):

I prefer the first one still.
    The tonality is more crisp to my eye.
    I find the grass detail in the first one more engaging than how the sun on the furrowed hill of the second has come out.

I've done shots that look like similar light conditions and it looks great when I'm there, but has required a lot of playing to remove a flat look from the image.
    Some of that haze from a lot of light catching a lot of surface area of grass is key to how it looked, so it gets tricky.

Might not be the same thing at all though.

Still like both a lot.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:29 am

I like both the first 2 shots.
    But the first by just a little more.
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:14 pm

Cheers Doug. :)

Doug wrote:I prefer the first one still.
    The tonality is more crisp to my eye.
    I find the grass detail in the first one more engaging than how the sun on the furrowed hill of the second has come out.

Probably true. I "ummed" and "ahhhhed" over what lenses to take with me, settled on one setup, then changed my mind at the last minute and swapped a couple of lenses but forgot to swap the filter adaptor rings over to suit. This really should have been a long exposure with a proper G-ND/ND setup for better tones in both sky and foreground to work from, but I kind of stuffed myself up. Luckily I can always head past again another evening. 8)

In all honesty, I actually hadn't been expecting to be out so late as I had really just headed out to give the a7RII a bit of a "worst-possible-conditions" (clear skies and harsh sun during the day) torture test, primarily just to experiment with how hard I can push the files around in post to see how well they hold up to extreme highlight/shadow recovery (very well!). It ended up being a beautiful day out so I spent a fair whack of time just wandering around exploring (and adjusting to the new camera). I just wished I could've hung around for dusk proper - it was an absolute corker! But with an hour or so drive to get home and work early the next day I had to get moving!

I'm liking how things are feeling with the Sony setup. I'm quickly getting comfortable with it and am really looking forward to shooting a lot more throughout this year! :wink:
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:21 pm

Eden wrote:I like both the first 2 shots.
    But the first by just a little more.

Cheers mate. :)

In an added hat-tip to Walter, I applied some darkroom technique to this shot during capture, using my black filter holder moved around in front of the upper-RH corner of the lens as a pseudo 'burn tool' over the duration of the 30sec exposure to correct for the imbalance of light in the sky (the sun was setting out-of-frame to the right, making the RH section of sky much brighter than the left - but barely effecting the balance of lighting on the grass in the foreground). Sometimes a little improvisation comes in handy!