City this morning
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

City this morning

by Doug » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:17 pm

No small amount of inspiration from some of Alex's shots in these. :)

Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: City this morning

by Busiboy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:32 pm

Love the first
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:08 pm

Busiboy wrote:Love the first

Haha, I love the second!

The bit of foliage detail at the bottom of the image is a nice variation, and the smooth tone progression up the building is great. Both are nice, but #2 for me. :)
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:22 pm

Explains why I could not pick a favorite. :)
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:48 pm

beeb wrote:
    Busiboy wrote:Love the first

Haha, I love the second!

The bit of foliage detail at the bottom of the image is a nice variation, and the smooth tone progression up the building is great. Both are nice, but #2 for me. :)

Well for me;

The second is a shot of a building.

The first is a vision reaching and disappearing into the heavens, more arty than architectural. .
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:47 pm

Busiboy wrote:Well for me;

The second is a shot of a building.

The first is a vision reaching and disappearing into the heavens, more arty than architectural. .

#2 for me is like the interior of spiritual place. Ultra-modern architecture, with a implausibe but plentiful, lush, foliaged interior. The spike in the middle is like a shrine.

Completely non-sensical, but that's how it makes my brain feel. :lol:

#1's a great shot...

...buuuuuuut...

...it's not symmetrical! (And it's driving my OCD crazy... :lol: ) Not Doug's fault, the damn architects couldn't count... :mrgreen:
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:52 pm

A mighty fine motif but neither really gets there for me. There is too much lost detail separation in both the highlights and the shadows to do the motif credit. A subject such as this is all about geometry and pattern and for the pattern to be lost is a significant factor.

Well seen and well worth a second visit.

By the way — how IS Alex?

Happy New Year,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:14 pm

W G wrote:A mighty fine motif but neither really gets there for me. There is too much lost detail separation in both the highlights and the shadows to do the motif credit. A subject such as this is all about geometry and pattern and for the pattern to be lost is a significant factor.

Happy New Year,

FWIW, I'd argue the opposite here. I love that the tones get brighter as they go up. To me it adds to the sense of height of the structure, almost like it's reaching into the sky. There's still enough pattern detail held by the panel edges for me.

Each to their own though. :)
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:38 am

beeb wrote:I love that the tones get brighter as they go up. To me it adds to the sense of height of the structure, almost like it's reaching into the sky. There's still enough pattern detail held by the panel edges for me.

Each to their own though. :)

The whole purpose of controlled exposure and processing was always to avoid featureless white and featureless black.

Lighter as it ascends — sure. But the spectacle of seeing real Fine Art printing if that there is always at least a modicum of local contrast on the shoulder and the heel of the curve.

It has never been easier to achieve than with dig-it-al through bracketing and layer masks. (But please, not the wretched HDR!!)
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:09 am

W G wrote:A mighty fine motif but neither really gets there for me. There is too much lost detail separation in both the highlights and the shadows to do the motif credit. A subject such as this is all about geometry and pattern and for the pattern to be lost is a significant factor.

Happy New Year,

I'll look again at a more geometry focused treatment, as you can imagine that was my initial instinct and also B+W, but my first impressions in B+W was that their was not a lot of tonal variety in the file to work with to make anything as bold looking as I was after.
    I have not been using Silver Efex for B+W lately so I'll try that. It can push things harder in B+W than LR I've found (for good or bad).

This was the direction colour took me, less emphasis on the lines and edges and more towards the graduations in colour and light.
    The fine detail of the vertical lines dissolving into the brightness was a conscious decision by doing the opposite of recovering highlights.

The image of a faded bronzey anodized cladding building taken at 16mm has been shamelessly fiddled with to give a slightly mysterious SiFi look and the impression of lofty stature.

The first shot in this link is my favorite geometry based image from the day viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20340
    I'd be interested in your impressions of it.

Good question. Our last meet in the weekend was a bit short notice, but I was hoping he might have seen the thread on it and come along.
    I know he can have anxieties at times, so we are just happy to see him when we see him.
    More likely the case he is busy with something and as is his way he is giving it 100% commitment.

Well its half an hour into 2015, so happy new year everyone at the forum.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:52 pm

I really love the second one! There's a quality to it that's akin to being inside a cathedral, if that makes sense? I agree with Walter too, it's well worth a second visit! 8)
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.