Dry Creek power station
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Dry Creek power station

by Doug » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:03 am

Last edited by Doug on Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Dry Creek power station

by Doug » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:04 am

• W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:56 am

Doug,

Just as with comedy, with photography timing is everything. Not the best time of day light-wise really, is it?

I adore motifs such as this and can well understand your fascination. My own way with this in the light present would be to put description of the detail on the back-burner and run with elements of design. I can sense that you have pursued such an approach but somehow the ratio of the masses of blank lit surfaces and shadowed detailed areas is a little askew.

Bloody cyclone fences are hard to make a positive inclusion, too.

Great to see you actually out there doing it.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:50 pm

Thanks Walter.

Your right not ideal light.
    Shot three (into the sun) is a definite candidate for the re-shoot at a different time of day. I like the stance of the building in this one.
    Its tempting to take a step ladder next time to see over the fence. I don't want to look more suspicious than I have to though in this day and age, photographing a power station.

The first two I think I've just gone a bit hard on the contrast, to make a feature of the highlight shape. But as you say, probably not enough of it to carry the idea.

I'll re-post them as a more neutral processing and leave the last to illustrate the change.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:50 pm

As a kid I would see these stacks from the top of the foothills on the way down Grand Junction rd.

They were lit with blue/purple lighting and were the "nearly home mark" after a long weekend

Alternately they were the "heading out" marker when off early on a Sat morning for a weekend away and were a silhouette against the morning sun when passing.

Im going to have to include them in a shot with the new highway somehow soon,

considering the crappy winter we are having in Adelaide they came out great Doug.

between the wind and the rain I'm scared to go out the front door with the camera of late.
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:04 pm

The third is a nice, solid composition, different light could really show off the forms of the structures well. There's a cool rhythm & repetition to it.

Did you get over to the other side of the bridge? The Islington rail workshops are to be sold off soon, if they haven't already and it'll be a no access area soon...
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:15 pm

Plays with Light wrote:The third is a nice, solid composition, different light could really show off the forms of the structures well. There's a cool rhythm & repetition to it.

Did you get over to the other side of the bridge? The Islington rail workshops are to be sold off soon, if they haven't already and it'll be a no access area soon...

I discovered Islington rail workshops a bit late I think.
    There are shopping centres either end of it now. I think the main buildings are heritage listed, but either way they are already fenced off at each end.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:29 pm

Doug wrote:I discovered Islington rail workshops a bit late I think.
    There are shopping centres either end of it now. I think the main buildings are heritage listed, but either way they are already fenced off at each end.

Nnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooo.............. :grrpsycho:

Bugga!
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Plays with Light wrote:
    Doug wrote:I discovered Islington rail workshops a bit late I think.

Nnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooo.............. :grrpsycho:

Bugga!

I took this one viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20370 with live view holding it over the temporary type construction fencing.
    The far end is also fenced off.
    I think it is there to keep the shopping area partitioned off from what is still a working rail yard, even if a lot of those buildings are not in use.