Under Wurundjeri Way
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Under Wurundjeri Way

by beeb » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:53 am

Had planned to do some astro shots tonight (sounds like I planned to gargle some drain cleaner, but I assure you we're talking astrophotography here! :lol: ). However the skies started to cloud over as I headed out of surburbia to do so, so I turned back and will try again another night.

Ironically, once I got back in the urban sprawl the skies were crystal clear. :roll:

Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Under Wurundjeri Way

by Doug » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:24 am

Luvin this one.
    Great curve and form picked out from the bold shadow.
    Many would dismiss the signs as a distraction, but I'm find them interesting. Must be those serpentine posts.

We only have one elevated road of any length in Adelaide. Its has been difficult to make look good in the day, this one gives me hope for a night shoot, though from memory ours is a bit over lit.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:22 am

Doug wrote:Luvin this one.
    Great curve and form picked out from the bold shadow.
    Many would dismiss the signs as a distraction, but I'm find them interesting. Must be those serpentine posts.

We only have one elevated road of any length in Adelaide. Its has been difficult to make look good in the day, this one gives me hope for a night shoot, though from memory ours is a bit over lit.

Thanks Doug.

The signs were the main drawcard for me, like you say those twisted posts give an added point of interest (IMO). I would've loved a clean background, but any lower or further forward and I would've been in the Yarra (and if you've ever smelt the Yarra on a bad day, that's reason enough to never want to touch that water!).

FYI, This is only a short bridge but has a strong curve as it crosses the river.

In regards to the lighting of your city's bridge - maybe a late dusk/blue-hour shoot could net the results you want? Enough ambient light to soften the shadows a little, while still allowing the artificial lighting to say "night shoot"... :wink:
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:59 am

beeb wrote:
    In regards to the lighting of your city's bridge - maybe a late dusk/blue-hour shoot could net the results you want? Enough ambient light to soften the shadows a little, while still allowing the artificial lighting to say "night shoot"... :wink:

Good tip.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:59 pm

I like the " all alone in the concrete jungle feel "

What you said about the lighting at dusk makes good sense.

I might have to badger Doug and any others that want to do part of or an all-nighter along the new raised section we now have,

There is something I find quite calming about empty roads in dark areas at night ( not sure if that is a good thing or not! )

eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:28 pm

Eden wrote:I like the " all alone in the concrete jungle feel "

Me too. I was pleased to find just how many people had gone away for Easter... :D

Eden wrote:What you said about the lighting at dusk makes good sense.

I might have to badger Doug and any others that want to do part of or an all-nighter along the new raised section we now have,

There is something I find quite calming about empty roads in dark areas at night ( not sure if that is a good thing or not! )

eden

Get onto it boys - you'll have a ball!

The late-arvo/sunset/dusk/blue-hour/night-time is probably my favourite 4-5 hours of the day (when the weather cooperates!). All the glorious light of a sunrise without having to get up early! :lol:

But it's a nice time frame to work through, and if the sun's out you'll get a real mix of lighting in your shots. Daylight looking shots in the late arvo, then at sunset the strong sidelit lighting with long shadows being cast, rolling into soft dusk light and hues, then deep blue skies and lights starting to really twinkle, and finally deep into the night photography territory. Love it!
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:32 am

Eden wrote:I might have to badger Doug and any others that want to do part of or an all-nighter along the new raised section we now have,
    eden

I'd be in that.
    Doing it on a work day is an option for me, since I'm currently working just down the road from the overpass and my 5 pm finish won't be too far off sunset now day light savings has finished. (sunset 6pm)

Just a thought, it's not likely to suit many.

Doesn't look like this bad weather clears till Thursday when it turns to partly cloudy after that.

Maybe Friday or Saturday evening if you (and anyone else) are still keen.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:55 pm

Doug wrote:
    Eden wrote:I might have to badger Doug and any others that want to do part of or an all-nighter along the new raised section we now have,
    eden

I'd be in that.
    Doing it on a work day is an option for me, since I'm currently working just down the road from the overpass and my 5 pm finish won't be too far off sunset now day light savings has finished. (sunset 6pm)

Just a thought, it's not likely to suit many.

Doesn't look like this bad weather clears till Thursday when it turns to partly cloudy after that.

Maybe Friday or Saturday evening if you (and anyone else) are still keen.

Ill be in for this Saturday or any night next week suits me also
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:33 am

Sorry for the late reply Edan.
    If it's still good for you how about this evening (Saturday) at 5:30pm meeting here in the car park off Grand junction Rd.
    https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-34.849 ... !2e0?hl=en

Given the late notice and you might not see the post, if you don't reply by 4:00pm we'll set another day instead.
    Anyone else welcome of coarse.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:29 pm

I,ll be there with bells on mate,

can't wait! 5.30 it is then.

Hopefully we can get a few good shots for Tim.

It will be a challenge to try and use some of the coloured glass panelled sections of the overpass and not go straight to B+W.

Eden
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:48 pm

Eden wrote:
    It will be a challenge to try and use some of the coloured glass panelled sections of the overpass and not go straight to B+W.

Eden

Definitely a good colour shot there with the coloured glass panels. I've tried before to include their projected colour on the road below and the back lit panels above, but you end up too much in line of sight with the sun, making for some ugly flare and wishy washy colour.
    Needs a new strategy.

The roads curve is very long and gradual unlike Beeb's tight crop with dynamic curvature, so I'm hoping darker conditions will play down the amount of extraneous stuff needed in frame to see the curvature, but without creating a lot of dead space.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:12 pm

How'd you go fellas?