The bridge shoot
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

The bridge shoot

by Doug » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:18 am

Bit of a casing out shoot for myself and Eden.
    What ended up being my more preferred shots happened after the blue hour Beep.
    You can see now what we have to work with, plenty of scope but with difficulties.

Lots of concrete bathed in sickly yellow street light put paid to thought of doing something in colour for a change. Star burst street lamps are a bit tacky I feel as well in this quantity.
    I'll look at doing some of these again in the twilight so the lamps are not so over powering.

This is my favorite, a portion of the motorway Eden latched on to straight away.

• beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Re: The bridge shoot

by beeb » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:41 pm

Having seen the light you were dealing with from Eden's shots, I'm not surprised you've favoured the after-dark shots (not taking a shot at you there Eden, just looks like you had really tough light to work with).

Overall, I like the feel of these, but again I feel there's a little extra space in a couple of the shots.

If you don't mind, I did a quick crop of a couple of them:

This one, I'd seek to highlight the repetition of the light spill along the concrete barriers:
    IMG_6608_zpszjj0qamx.jpg

This one, this crop jumped into my mind as soon as I saw the shot. Strong diagonals, with the light-stars all bunched together working in unison: (Could even shoot this wider with a landscape orientation shot if there isn't much clutter under the bridge where it continues out of frame on the left...)
    IMG_6597_zpskzfupad2a.jpg

As an alternate, wider crop - this could be a viable option:
    IMG_6597_zpskzfupad2.jpg

Again, these are just my thoughts and my tastes, take from them what you like. :wink:

EDIT: Oh - and I like the last one, looks classy with the smooth but contrasty B&W tones. :)
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: The bridge shoot

by Doug » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:48 pm

Thanks for taking the time to give such detailed thoughts and especially for the crops. I like all of them.

Despite their attempts with the curved Y shaped upright supports (the top of the "y" is structurally fake) I have yet to find an elegant line on the whole thing.
    The last one was a heavy crop showing the distant more cluttered area of a wider shot, it was this point in editing that I was thinking just go with the confusion of it all.

So that is something else to look at another time. I did not go longer than 80mm on the night, so I'll see what I can do with the full 105mm next time and take the old 250mm EF kit zoom as backup.