A Sweet Old Time Conundrum
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

A Sweet Old Time Conundrum

by W G » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:20 pm

Aaah, yes. Well do I enjoy the use of coloured contrast filters. But sometimes one must decide — With? or Without?

OR

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: A Sweet Old Time Conundrum

by Doug » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:56 pm

I see what you mean.

I'm going to assume #2 is filtered.
    That one is my preference because the subject has a more monolithic presence to me.

What are the structures, are they to do with the railway?
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: A Sweet Old Time Conundrum

by Plays with Light » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:54 pm

#2 has a more contemporary look to it, which I presume is from an orange or red filter, making the blue sky darker.

The first is more authentic, if that's the right term, especially as to the luminosity of things in that scene, BUT... I'm wondering if you used a blue filter there to bring out the darker detail of the uprights?

I prefer the second image, like Doug. To me there is more strength to the image, with the darkened down sky making the uprights have more detail, or rather having them be more brought to life with the darker surround, after all, the eye is a huge sucker for contrast.

Now I'm wondering, is there a filter applied to both? One in the reddish spectrum and one in the blueish spectrum? :grrpsycho:
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.