City Blocks
  • Mattyp

City Blocks

by Mattyp » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:30 am

Found myself wanting to go take some photos the other night, so with no idea what I was going to shoot I grabbed my 35mm and started walking the city blocks

• W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Re: City Blocks

by W G » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:03 am

Rewarding finds Matty. Some nice, almost cinema noir, feel to them.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • Mattyp

by Mattyp » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:45 pm

thanks Walter, unfortunately I couldn't find any steamy drains or damsel's in distress.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:44 pm

Great set.
    I like the bold treatment as well.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:57 pm

Lovely set mate, I like the treatment and there's some shrewd location hunting here - the one looking riverwards from outside Southern Cross is very sharp.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:30 pm

WOW. I just drove through Melbourne.

Do you have some camera fodder there or WHAT!

Just the city before going through the Tunnel was awesome.

It only took 2 years/hours to get to the other side of the city in peak hour so there is a trade off I suppose.

I can walk Adelaide city (CBD) easilly 1.6km2 or 1mile x 1mile in 2 hrs.

WOW is all I can really say.

I am having little "jolly" fits in one of your small caravan parks. The bugs the birds the old caravans and the general surrounds are quite overpowering.

I think I will be back soon alone, and an undercover Bogan. (No effort needed there)

Well lets see how frankston fares up with the warfes and live entertainment on Sunday!

What a cool city!
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:44 pm

Unfortunately most of the decent views in Melbourne are from the freeways/tollways! :lol:

You become numb to it I guess, I just see clutter and poor urban design around town nowadays. There's definitely great opportunities, but I prefer the countryside. 8)
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:45 pm

Oh and Matty.
    Awesome shots for a walk round.

You will laugh at my fav but the upside down cafe chairs through the window are it along with the train lines. But the cafe chairs actually rock me.

That is so sad on my behalf I suppose. But my brain was ruined years ago :)

Well done on the late night walk !
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • Mattyp

by Mattyp » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:15 am

Welcome to Melbourne Eden!
    I apologise in advance for the Frankston locals, but we had to put them somewhere! :badgrin:
    Thanks for the kind words, although if you think your brain is fried for liking the chair pic what does that say about me for taking it!
    There are definately lots of spots to explore in the city as well as some of the old suburbs. But like beeb said the city scape is best viewed from afar. Been meaning to stop on the Bolte Bridge and take a photo or two but may get arrested or thrown in the psyche ward.
    Let us know when you are in town next we can try do a meet up for beer, coffee, tea and scones, whatever floats your boat.
    evat601

by evat601 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:04 pm

Road trip Eden? I'm keen.....
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:59 pm

evat601 wrote:Road trip Eden? I'm keen.....

Do it!!!! :wink: Heaps to see if you've got a few days free. I'm hoping to do the reverse and come and check out your guy's state soon. I'll try to catch up with you, Eden, Doug, etc... if I do manage to line something up. :) (If you guys will allow me across the border anyway! :lol: )
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:40 pm

beeb wrote:
    evat601 wrote:Road trip Eden? I'm keen.....

Do it!!!! :wink: Heaps to see if you've got a few days free. I'm hoping to do the reverse and come and check out your guy's state soon. I'll try to catch up with you, Eden, Doug, etc... if I do manage to line something up. :) (If you guys will allow me across the border anyway! :lol: )

Just let us know your plans closer to the time and I'm sure we can arrange a meet up for some photography and coffee.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:51 pm

Doug wrote:Just let us know your plans closer to the time and I'm sure we can arrange a meet up for some photography and coffee.

Thank you kindly, sounds excellent! :)
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:09 pm

Yep. I will have the house painted and ready for market soon so will have no problem doing a road trip Evan and any others that can stand my humor in the car for that long.
    Give it a few months and I will happily do the Horsham route in and the Ocean rd back.

More than happy to have a catch up Tim and I'm sure the Adelaide crew can keep you busy for a day or two whenever you make it here.

Hey Matty the Frankston locals were fine and the Detonators were awesome at the Daveys hotel. The Fat Yak pints on tap were great and the fried dumplings over the road were great. Even got to watch a pissed local face plant flat on the footpath in front of myself and Annie (made a cool crunching sound)

Well I have had a great time and some cool fun on eastlink freeway triggering my camera flash as the speeding cars flew past us :)

Not to keen on the Toll roads (the beginning of the end me thinks) and luckily wouldn't get a foot in the door in SA. $32.50 for 4 days use is a ripoff.

Oh well early to rise for the ocean rd back staying at Robe overnight to break the trip up.

:)
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:24 pm

Eden wrote:$32.50 for 4 days use is a ripoff.:)

You can chalk that up in a single run in Sydney. The M7 is a total toll whore.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi