Reflected light
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Reflected light

by beeb » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:19 pm

A quick dash into the city today, indulging the G.A.S again in the quest for miniaturisation.

I've got a few things on this arvo, so I only had time for a few quick snaps on the way home. Hopefully I'll have some more time this evening to have more of a play!

Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Reflected light

by Plays with Light » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:35 pm

I'm enjoying the POV and perspective of the first image and the reflected light on the road from a building somewhere in the second one. Very nice. Were these taken with the new kit, Tim?
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:15 pm

Plays with Light wrote:I'm enjoying the POV and perspective of the first image and the reflected light on the road from a building somewhere in the second one. Very nice. Were these taken with the new kit, Tim?

Thanks Alex. Yes, taken with the a7RII and today's acquistion - a Voigtlander 'Ultron' 35mm f/1.7 Aspherical (Voigtlander M-mount) lens.

I have the Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f/2 SL-II in an EF-mount, but find it does not play nicely (or balance well) on the a7RII when using the metabones adapter. While I probably slightly prefer the 40mm focal length - the tiny Voigtlander 40mm Heliar f/2.8 unfortunately didn't appeal as the image quality didn't seem to match up to the fine resolution of the Sony sensor, nor did I have much optimism for the handling of the oddly shaped/operated pop-out lens and focusing via a helecoid adapter.

The diminutive size of the 35mm f/1.7 feels great on the camera, and the optics have more than lived up to my hopes. Overall my "micro-kit" is shaping up nicely. This 35mm will be my general purpose wide/standard, I have a Zeiss Loxia 21mm on pre-order (with an e.t.a of approx 5 weeks) for a small-bodied wide-angle, and I probably will probably pick up a tele-zoom at some stage for shorter walks and a bit more versatility for landscapes.

The change to the a7RII has been an interesting if slightly confusing experience. Some of the lenses that behaved best on the 5DIII are pretty bad on the a7RII - and the reverse is true also! It's amazing how much impact different pixel-pitches and sensor filter stacks can change the recording of various lenses optical characteristics. There's been more changes required (desired might be more accurate! :lol: ) than I expected, but overall I'll end up with a really small but easy-to-use kit that sees me getting out to shoot more. Lately trying to get a shoot in has been tricky as I'm trying to bowl this changeover over before buying property, and working all the hours I can to try and minimise the financial impact of both these pursuits! I have sold some of the Canon kit to speed the process along, and probably will still sell a bit more yet - but then hopefully by mid-Autumn the camera kit reshuffle should be more-or-less complete (thankfully most of the large expenses are now done!), and I can sneak a few quick getaways in to actually use this stuff!!!

One thing I have learnt from this experience is shop around!!! I've actually ended up buying almost everything in Australia this time, but very little locally to myself. It's certainly worthwhile hunting around for the best deal though, as even with some postage costs I've saved many hundreds compared to just buying from my local retail outlets, and all still genuine Australian stock.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:54 pm

beeb wrote:but overall I'll end up with a really small but easy-to-use kit that sees me getting out to shoot more.

That's the most important part of all, the getting out using the kit and having fun doing it. Horses for courses! :wink:
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:46 pm

Plays with Light wrote:
    beeb wrote:but overall I'll end up with a really small but easy-to-use kit that sees me getting out to shoot more.

That's the most important part of all, the getting out using the kit and having fun doing it. Horses for courses! :wink:

That's actually what's prompted all the changes. I was going alright with getting out there and using the kit, but wasn't having much fun at all. I really struggled with the weight of the Canon gear, so the Sony-based kit has been a breath of fresh air in that regard. Looking forward to getting out with it a bit more in coming weeks.
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:17 pm

I'm really keen on the top shot and its lines.

I thought you mave have bought a new prime/manul

they are both really crisp and have nice contrast

the second one threw me as it came up on my screen with only the bottom two thirds showing and looked pretty cool as a pano without the tree/top third showing ,

I see stuff a little weird anyhow :)
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:03 pm

Eden wrote:I'm really keen on the top shot and its lines...

...they are both really crisp and have nice contrast

Thanks mate, I don't mind 'em either (for once!). Just lucky the light was bouncing around otherwise they would've been very average.

Eden wrote:I thought you mave have bought a new prime/manul

You know me too well. :lol:

Eden wrote:the second one threw me as it came up on my screen with only the bottom two thirds showing and looked pretty cool as a pano without the tree/top third showing ,

I see stuff a little weird anyhow :)

That's actually a pretty cool way to present that image now that you mention it! Cheers! Haha :wink:
  • Mattyp

by Mattyp » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:31 pm

beeb wrote:That's actually what's prompted all the changes. I was going alright with getting out there and using the kit, but wasn't having much fun at all. I really struggled with the weight of the Canon gear, so the Sony-based kit has been a breath of fresh air in that regard. Looking forward to getting out with it a bit more in coming weeks.

I'm hearing you there... have been using my d7100 with a 35 prime a lot lately, its much more manageable and doesn't feel so cumbersome. I did put my 18-200 on the other day, and was like "ughhh... really".
    Thinking of down scaling one day, I do like the sony gear so it will be up right up there as far as choices go. maybe need to invest in a 24-70....

Loving the first shot too, super crisp.
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:51 pm

Mattyp wrote:
    beeb wrote:That's actually what's prompted all the changes. I was going alright with getting out there and using the kit, but wasn't having much fun at all. I really struggled with the weight of the Canon gear, so the Sony-based kit has been a breath of fresh air in that regard. Looking forward to getting out with it a bit more in coming weeks.

I'm hearing you there... have been using my d7100 with a 35 prime a lot lately, its much more manageable and doesn't feel so cumbersome. I did put my 18-200 on the other day, and was like "ughhh... really".
    Thinking of down scaling one day, I do like the sony gear so it will be up right up there as far as choices go. maybe need to invest in a 24-70....

Loving the first shot too, super crisp.

Thanks Matty. Yeah, it's been an eye-opener that's for sure. I'm really enjoying the reduced size and weight - it's amazing how liberating even a few hundred grams less feels! Plus, I love shooting with primes anyway, as I find it makes me think through my positioning for the shot a lot more thoroughly (instead of just planting in one spot and zooming).