bubble boy
  • sclater29

bubble boy

by sclater29 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:44 am

hi guys just chucking this up here , would like both advice and critique

first of all i want to describe my work flow and get some feed back on that secondly critique my photo (btw it looked greener in photoshop before i saved it as jpeg and uploaded to photobucket, now it has a yellowish hue?)

being a recreational photographer i don't feel a need to keep every photo in high res originals so generally this is my work flow which needs improvement advice i think

1. use a card reader and extract raw files from camera card to a generic raw file on desktop cut and paste style

2.open image in photoshop raw

3.adjust white balance (normally i shoot in sunshine mode so the white balance is normally ok but i check other options anyway)play with shade/temperature to get a feel of photo direction, then i basically adjust all sliders until i get a good looking image, generally trying to darken sun\sky while brightening some foreground, increase saturation/vibrance
    i try to press the alt button and make sure theirs not to much of a setting and try to make the histogram look ok but i generally struggle with that part and go with what i perceive as good

4. play with the curve although i normally just give the shadows and highlights a bump in opposite directions

5.play in the saturation/vibrance/hue of the colours I'm trying to achieve may also crop photo

6. at this stage I'm pretty well done and either click done in psraw or open

7. open image in photoshop may play with dodge/burn or remove some small items with content aware fill or clone stamp.

8. again pretty well done with a completed image by this stage so i save file as a jpeg generally lowish quality about 3-4 (aid in uploading photos to net etc)and save to collection of similar photos.

generally at this stage i may even go back and delete the original raw photo from my generic folder as i say I'm finished with the photo and am not going to process it again and it will be more of a showing photo than a send to shop to get printed photo.

i know i must be doing things the hard way or causing travesties to my photo storage/quality but being new to all this i welcome all input

p.s is there a way to flick between your original photo and you modifications in photoshop raw so you can see the difference as you go?

f/4 iso 100 1/160s 70mm
    cheers
    canon 5Dmk2, EF24-105L IS USM,Ef16-35 f2.8L II USM,Ef 70-300 f4-5.6L IS USM, photo shop cs5, photomatix.http://www.flickr.com/photos/sclater29/
  • Nitnat

by Nitnat » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:05 am

Hi,

I am quite a new guy at this photography thing. My experience with photoshop and post processing is tinkering with some selective colour and some brightening; therefore I wouldn't like to comment on your process to much.
    However, are you shooting in raw all the time? And this is why you feel the need to delete the originals (due to file size vs space?)
    How much extra editing are you doing that you can't do in jpeg format? You mention that mostly the white balance is fine?

Other than that, I like your photo. The bubble appears quite crisp and sharp.
    Have you considered a crop off the right hand side to make the bubble fall closer to the 1/3rd line?
    I would attempt to crop just to the left hand side of the detergent container and see how that looks. Bearing in mind, this may make the image feel a lot tighter and maybe require a crop off the top/bottom to balance it?

As I said, I am quite new to this. I am sure someone else will be along soon with some good advice :)
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:19 am

You aren't getting much advantage from shooting raw with your current process. Your on holidays? Enjoy the trip and your photos, shooting medium jpg with the correct white balance selected would be what I'd do in your shoes, if you want to shoot raw then here is my rough workflow or what I'd do on holidays

Shoot raw with correct colour balance
    Download via photo downloaded in photoshop
    Go through in bridge, select the keepers, delete the duds.
    Open in camera raw, do 90% of adjustments
    Open in ps, clone heal small issues
    Save as psd, resize to 800 pixels on longest, sharpen, save as jpg image quality 8.

Uploading to Flickr, share photos, wait for the prizes to roll in.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • sclater29

by sclater29 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:35 am

jpegs straight up would make a lot easier and probably suit life a touch more just can't get the same results as PP in raw(not to mention its a lot easier than PP in PS).

noted on the file size will look at that option now just been unsure of file types and size that are a good configuration of quality vs usability
    canon 5Dmk2, EF24-105L IS USM,Ef16-35 f2.8L II USM,Ef 70-300 f4-5.6L IS USM, photo shop cs5, photomatix.http://www.flickr.com/photos/sclater29/
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:48 am

There is nothing wrong with jpg, you can adjust jpg in raw as well if you so choose. Dial the resolution down a bit, shoot jpg and concentrate on getting it right in camera, you'll find in time that is what you'll do more of anyway. When I was on my honeymoon, I shot a lot, took all the gear, used one lens and an iPad to edit my shots, I could till edit at home, but I left them as they were and it is what it is.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott