Last night in the hood...
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Last night in the hood...

by Plays with Light » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:27 pm

Stumbled on this discarded suitcase in the undergrowth way off the dirt track yesterday arvo as I wandered around not far from home. Thought it could become the star of a sunset picture if banged back into shape, dusted off a bit and placed standing as if ready for use. So this is the result of me returning several hours later.

This is a photomerge in Photoshop CC with me learning as I went and it then underwent major surgery to get the colours and perspective how I liked it.

To see it larger, click the link and then hit the magnifying glass symbol a couple of times, Photobucket sucks for not giving direct access to larger sized images...

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y477/iJohn_8_80/Details/_MG_2713LG_zpsd840d9bb.jpg
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    GeoffM
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Re: Last night in the hood...

by GeoffM » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:05 pm

That's looking good, I like your thinking and concept of using found items to add another dimension, but I think with this particular image it may work better without inclusion of the suit case.

Top marks for thinking outside the box.
    Fuji | X-Pro1 | XE-1 | XT-1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com
    http://xtographer.weebly.com
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:12 pm

GeoffM wrote:That's looking good, I like your thinking and concept of using found items to add another dimension, but I think with this particular image it may work better without inclusion of the suit case.

Top marks for thinking outside the box.

Thanks Geoff, it was the S-curve of this POV that grabbed me initially. When I spotted a couple of discarded lounge chairs further up the hill, I thought it could be interesting to have these discards front and centre with a beautiful sunset as the backdrop to them. I guess with that first shot, the scenery is just too strong for this little suitcase.

This following chair is visible in the first picture if you look closely beside the dirt track, taken after the sun has set and the colours in the sky have changed considerably.

Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:15 pm

Maybe these work better as a set than stand alone?

Nice imagery and with the items in both it makes a point.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:22 pm

I like the shots and theme John

cool idea

eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:49 pm

They are both wonderful. The port looks a tad like an ad but the sofa transcends the obvious and links to all sorts of imaginings.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:23 pm

I like these a lot.
    The luggage in the first one looks like it is waiting for a lift to go on a journey.

It could be just a bit too landscapee (new word) in that the first thought is its a landscape and why is there a case in it.
    This could add to its appeal for those who find something in the luggage being there, or not so much for those who like it as a landscape.

My thought is the sun is one element too many and without it the attention shifts more to the case, but without loosing the juxtaposition of the setting.
    Just a thought, it still works for me as is.

It is funny how an inanimate object takes on a personality in a different setting, the easy chair in the second one looks lost in thought and if I got closer it would notice me.

Neither would work as well without the atmospheric lighting.

I think you are on to something to explore as a further series.

Keep it up.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:32 am

Busiboy wrote:Maybe these work better as a set than stand alone?

Nice imagery and with the items in both it makes a point.

I like the idea of creating an ongoing set of pictures like this, there is one more from here to come some time today. Thanks Scott.

As an aside, is there a way to do a multi-quote reply here? Or do I have to reply to each and cut and past them together manually?
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:34 am

Eden wrote:I like the shots and theme John

cool idea

eden

Thanks Eden, I like the idea of giving these once much loved items a final hurrah of sorts. It's also the rampant ecologist and hippy coming out in me too!
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:38 am

W G wrote:They are both wonderful. The port looks a tad like an ad but the sofa transcends the obvious and links to all sorts of imaginings.

Cheers,

Thank you Walter. The first really does look like a travel ad. of some sort to me too. I created these as a result of undertaking the 365 Project and getting myself out in the local area, as I don't drive. I can easily see this becoming an ongoing series, as things come and go from here.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:47 am

Doug wrote:I like these a lot.
    The luggage in the first one looks like it is waiting for a lift to go on a journey.

It could be just a bit too landscapee (new word) in that the first thought is its a landscape and why is there a case in it.
    This could add to its appeal for those who find something in the luggage being there, or not so much for those who like it as a landscape.

My thought is the sun is one element too many and without it the attention shifts more to the case, but without loosing the juxtaposition of the setting.
    Just a thought, it still works for me as is.

It is funny how an inanimate object takes on a personality in a different setting, the easy chair in the second one looks lost in thought and if I got closer it would notice me.

Neither would work as well without the atmospheric lighting.

I think you are on to something to explore as a further series.

Keep it up.

Thanks Doug. It was the idea of the possible journeys the suitcase had been on and that it found itself beside a dirt track to nowhere that initially grabbed me.

I had a play with a crop of the first, minus the sun and it works better, the ad. feel has gone immediately! Great eyes and thanks for the tip.

With the blue easy chair, I placed it there, it had been unceremoniously dumped upside down on the track. Just need to find the TV and TV stand to complete the scene!

I took pictures when I first found these about 2pm and saw immediately that they needed the extra oomph of a sunset or sunrise to get them to work.

Thanks for the encouragement.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:39 am

Plays with Light wrote:I can easily see this becoming an ongoing series, as things come and go from here.

Sounds like a quite remarkable motif to pursue. I'll be hanging for the next instalment.

Keep at it,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:49 pm

W G wrote:Sounds like a quite remarkable motif to pursue. I'll be hanging for the next instalment.

Keep at it,

The third and final from this Sunday night.

Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:20 am

This one does not work as well I feel, but perhaps you feel the same that you did not include it with the first set.

It is hard to say why, maybe this item does not have the character of the second and the purposefulness of the first to tell a story.
    It might be that the first two are more in and part of the scene, where as this one is more of a matter of fact picture of a couch.

The avant-garde by its nature does not have established parameters of what will work and why, you just have to go by feel and instinct.

It does not help that this piece of furniture looks a bit heavy and awkward in size to get too creative with on your own.

Not saying it does not work, for me it just does not work as well as the others in the set.

I'm sure it will take many shots to find the ones that best define the look, style and narrative you are after.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:10 am

The first two are landscapes with the items in them, the last is a shot of a lounge dumped.

For me anyway
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott