What lurks in the shadows
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

What lurks in the shadows

by Plays with Light » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:51 pm

Taken yesterday with the nifty fifty (50mm f/1.8 II,) it's a pretty flexible lens actually!

Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Re: What lurks in the shadows

by W G » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:28 pm

This is really fascinating.

Learn to love you nifty fifty — It is the most powerful tool in the arsenal.

The 4x5 equivalent is the 150mm and with my Linhof I can fold the camera up with the lens in situ, ready to dart into the fray. It is the only lens I take with me. I also have 90mm, 120mm, 180mm Macro, 210mm, 240mm and 300mm. If and when I require something else, I do have them to draw on, but the equivalent of the nifty fifty is all I usually use.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter

by DJT » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:12 pm

Sorry, I don't have anything constructive to say except I'm also enjoying your time that you are spending with your 50mm & hope your 24-105 doesn't come back too soon :wink:
    David
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:05 am

Integrating image, it has had me studying it long and hard.
    I like what you have done with it.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:31 am

W G wrote:This is really fascinating.

Learn to love you nifty fifty — It is the most powerful tool in the arsenal.

The 4x5 equivalent is the 150mm and with my Linhof I can fold the camera up with the lens in situ, ready to dart into the fray. It is the only lens I take with me. I also have 90mm, 120mm, 180mm Macro, 210mm, 240mm and 300mm. If and when I require something else, I do have them to draw on, but the equivalent of the nifty fifty is all I usually use.

I found this to be really interesting, Walter. It used to be my favourite lens when I was on the crop bodies, for it's quality of imagery and flexibility.

Is this the type of beast you are talking about? First off, there's a definite romanticism to these monsters for me. Secondly, they look quite complex to use and even more so, to master.

A bit out of my price range, at $3.5K though!

Getting back to my using this little lens, I must say it constantly impresses me with the perspective and view it gives me. I do have a preference for the wide angles though, but did notice that this lens gave me equally as good imagery as the 24-105 and without the "L" label (or price!) I'll make a point of taking it with me and trying it out on different subjects.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:35 am

DJT wrote:Sorry, I don't have anything constructive to say except I'm also enjoying your time that you are spending with your 50mm & hope your 24-105 doesn't come back too soon :wink:

Thanks, David. I'm hoping it comes back real soon, I have a 10 stopper to go test out at the beach! In combination with the variable ND filter I have, I can get me 13 to 16 stops of long exposure without colour cast. The variable when taken up too high does go blue though.

Don't worry, all pictures I have in mind will get the 50mm treatment too. I like the idea of having to set up shot twice, once for each lens, as a learning experience.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:40 am

Doug wrote:Integrating image, it has had me studying it long and hard.
    I like what you have done with it.

You of everyone here should recognise this building! :wink:

Remember your zig-zag pictures, up the edge of the building on Grenfell Street, from an earlier walk-around with the mob? It's that building and I just laid it down sideways and played with the levels pretty harshly to fade off parts and blow out the sky and shadows.

I've long admired the architecture of that building, for it's clean lines and repetition. Since the mid 80's, actually.

How's the new role going? You being enthused working there? Is it in the green technology sector near you?
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:40 pm

Hahahaha Alex,

Were you aware that the pic of the Linfof is actually a pic of my own Linhof. I have it on EBay to fund something similar but bigger..

When I eventually get over to Adelaide I'll be happy to show you how it works.
    Last edited by W G on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:38 pm

Great imagery, I love the highlight fading to shadows.

Great take on what is now revealed to be a familiar subject.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:31 pm

W G wrote:Hahahaha Alex,

We're you aware that the pic of the Linfof is actually a pic of my own Linhof. I have it on EBay to fund something similar but bigger..

When I eventually get over to Adelaide I'll be happy to show you how it works.

Wow! Small world, indeed! So glad you didn't feel the need to sue over copyright! :wink:

That would be an honour that I would definitely take you up on!
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Busiboy wrote:Great imagery, I love the highlight fading to shadows.

Great take on what is now revealed to be a familiar subject.

Thanks a lot Scott. It's a great building, very simple and old school, but with great lines and angles.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:46 pm

Plays with Light wrote:
    How's the new role going? You being enthused working there? Is it in the green technology sector near you?

Its going well. There is a lot of up and down ladders and whole days on the roof constructing the reflectors.
    I spent nearly 2 days alone fitting 160 solar tubes, so its a big setup.

I think the novelty of the roof part of the project will have worn off by the end of it and I will be looking forward to learning new things in the machining part of the business.

The research side of the solar project is not something they specifically needed me to be a part of. There is a small team who have been prototyping things on it for at least a couple of years now.
    Its interesting to watch the trials though while I'm fabricating the reflectors and their frame work in the workshop.

Today was the first trial under its own steam so to speak, now that the install on the roof is nearing completion.
    Up till now the testing has been with a mains powered boiler.

When you see a full head of steam you start to appreciate the amount of energy that is on tap from the big fusion reactor in the sky.