ETSOOI Experiment
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

ETSOOI Experiment

by Plays with Light » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:11 pm

I only discovered the term ETSOOI (edit the $#!t out of it) a few weeks ago and thought I'd have a play with that sort of thing too. For this one I've included the original below to allow you all to see where it came from.

I feel this has ended up the tale of two pictures, stuck in one frame. That I should have just had the stepped series on the bottom left or the floating thing above, but not both in the same frame. Would love some input and opinions on it from you folks, if you have the time and energy.

ETSOOI

Original (SOOC RAW)
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: ETSOOI Experiment

by Plays with Light » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 pm

Have had a play with making them separate images, which I feel works much better, but would still love to hear others opinions.

ETSOOI 02

ETSOOI 03
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:34 pm

It sings for me in the first image but it is good to see you trying variations.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:10 am

I like the experimentation and look of it.
    The strength in what you first came up with I fell is trying to work out how the two elements in the image relate. Individually I don't think they hold their own as well as when combined.

I rather like the original intent of the image as taken, looking at the effect process it would require preserving some of the grey tones to keep that intact. So very high contrast perhaps rather than 2 tone to do that.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:07 am

W G wrote:It sings for me in the first image but it is good to see you trying variations.

Cheers,

Thanks, Walter. I think this is one that I just have to leave for a few weeks and come back to with fresh eyes, because I still see it as two pictures ill-composed together!
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:16 am

Doug wrote:I like the experimentation and look of it.
    The strength in what you first came up with I fell is trying to work out how the two elements in the image relate. Individually I don't think they hold their own as well as when combined.

I rather like the original intent of the image as taken, looking at the effect process it would require preserving some of the grey tones to keep that intact. So very high contrast perhaps rather than 2 tone to do that.

Even though that first one was my initial output, I still am not happy with it. It looks too much like trying to force a square peg into a round hole to me.

Unfortunately the mid-tone greys are really ruined with this picture, due to the time of day it was taken, with that glaring sunlight hitting the ends, the mid-tones are not there to play with successfully in post-production. When I did get them out using curves and levels, the overall picture looked like crap, due to those excessively strong highlights! I would have had to waited around for another couple of hours, when the sun has shifted off the building altogether and this was taken as I was on my way back to meet the family to leave town. It was a pleasant find and this is one I will revisit in different light conditions and explore further. This was the end result of very high contrast and then pushing the shadows and highlights even further, then cloning out any leftovers.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:07 am

Plays with Light wrote:I still see it as two pictures ill-composed together!

Something to keep in mind when you return to this in time is that there is no reason why a photograph cannot pose unanswerable questions. The original treated frame does that for me to a very satisfying extent.

Cheers,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:32 am

W G wrote:
    Plays with Light wrote:I still see it as two pictures ill-composed together!

Something to keep in mind when you return to this in time is that there is no reason why a photograph cannot pose unanswerable questions. The original treated frame does that for me to a very satisfying extent.

Cheers,

Thanks for that explanation, Walter. I'm less fussed about it "making sense" now!