Ginger
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Ginger

by Plays with Light » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Taken last Wednesday afternoon and edited this morning, with inspiration courtesy of Mozarts Requiem Mass in D minor (K. 626). All editing performed in Lightroom 5.2 using just its basic tools and no add-on filters or tools. Single 55 second exposure with the 10 stopper at play.

The monolith reads:
    In affectionate remembrance of "Ginger."
    F.S.N. Poole
    Who died August 1st, 1923.

I can't find any information for F.S.N. Poole, but she or he was obviously well loved, with the size and stature of this monolith!

Ginger by playswithlight, on Flickr
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    ion_mihaila

Re: Ginger

by ion_mihaila » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:14 pm

...and that's how you use a 10 stopper. A really stunning picture.

I played with a 10 stopper some time back but just to get the usual smooth ocean.
    C & C , PPOK welcome
    Eden
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Eden » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:15 pm

That is a ripper of a shot Alex.

Great angle and sky!

eden
    I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    Kurt Vonnegut

PPOK
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:22 pm

ion_mihaila wrote:...and that's how you use a 10 stopper. A really stunning picture.

I played with a 10 stopper some time back but just to get the usual smooth ocean.

Thanks, Ion. I blame Mozart for the end product! :wink:
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:25 pm

Eden wrote:That is a ripper of a shot Alex.

Great angle and sky!

eden

Thanks, Eden. It demanded a view looking up to it like this and the sky, well, there's not much that can be done about that! Except go longer with using the variable filter on top to get me 16 stops of cloud blurring... 8)
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:57 pm

Wonderfully dramatic picture Alex.

I'm not a follower of classical music, luckily it appears that youtube is good for more that animal antics and crazy Russian driving. :)

A fitting sound track for that image.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:14 pm

Doug wrote:Wonderfully dramatic picture Alex.

I'm not a follower of classical music, luckily it appears that youtube is good for more that animal antics and crazy Russian driving. :)

A fitting sound track for that image.

Wow! I'm really honoured that you made that effort, Doug! That's huge, to me! Some times I really wish you could go to an exhibition and hear the music of choice made by the photographer, for each picture. Not that I do exhibitions or much of anything that involves people face to face any more.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:53 pm

Plays with Light wrote:
    Wow! I'm really honoured that you made that effort, Doug! That's huge, to me! Some times I really wish you could go to an exhibition and hear the music of choice made by the photographer, for each picture. Not that I do exhibitions or much of anything that involves people face to face any more.

No effort, just curiosity.

Often musicians use imagery and colour to describe the inspiration for a piece of music, it does not surprise me it works the other way.
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:31 am

I have to agree with the sentiments above, this is a great use of a Big stopper, but, given your ability to create great images, I'm not suprised with this result at all.

Keep up the good work.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:49 am

The entire package here Alex, and a remarkable picture.

But if I can make one constructive criticism I think it would be better without the halo either side to the stem of the cross. For me it sort of amounts to the magician revealing the trick. I'd prefer just the excellent trick.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:02 pm

Busiboy wrote:I have to agree with the sentiments above, this is a great use of a Big stopper, but, given your ability to create great images, I'm not suprised with this result at all.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks, Scott. I'm going through a period of learning, playing and exploring, which I'm loving!
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:05 pm

W G wrote:The entire package here Alex, and a remarkable picture.

But if I can make one constructive criticism I think it would be better without the halo either side to the stem of the cross. For me it sort of amounts to the magician revealing the trick. I'd prefer just the excellent trick.

Your CC is greatly appreciated, Walter. I'll have a play with it tomorrow morning and stick it below with your suggested adjustment. I watched a tutorial not long ago that showed the ue of light and dark at edges of things to add more definition or dimension to them. I still had that in mind when I created that glow on the stem of this.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:35 am

Plays with Light wrote:I watched a tutorial not long ago that showed the ue of light and dark at edges of things to add more definition or dimension to them. I still had that in mind when I created that glow on the stem of this.

Alex,

That technique is essentially an enlarged reinforcement of what sharpening does. At one very basic level these things are seen as a game to play but to a more informed audience they are seen as artefact. Back in the days of proper printing with an enlarger it took years to master dodging and burning to make it look natural and to hide the tell tale hints of manipulation. Pictorially the effects are far easier to achieve these days.

I am not suggesting that it should never happen but in this instance there is either too much of the halo or not enough if you follow my drift.

And there does appear to be evidence of over sharpening on the silhouetted urn to the right.

Keep at it, you're doing great,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:26 am

W G wrote:Alex,

That technique is essentially an enlarged reinforcement of what sharpening does. At one very basic level these things are seen as a game to play but to a more informed audience they are seen as artefact. Back in the days of proper printing with an enlarger it took years to master dodging and burning to make it look natural and to hide the tell tale hints of manipulation. Pictorially the effects are far easier to achieve these days.

I am not suggesting that it should never happen but in this instance there is either too much of the halo or not enough if you follow my drift.

And there does appear to be evidence of over sharpening on the silhouetted urn to the right.

Keep at it, you're doing great,

I've not forgotten about this advice, Walter, far from it in fact. I've been laid up with a lurgy the last couple of days and will have a play with it today.

The halo around the rim of that urn is partly from it being polished granite and being backlit nicely by the sun. I'll see what I can conjure to diminish its evil ways.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:34 pm

Walter, I finally got back to Ginger. I have to thank you for your discerning eye and willingness to throw me a bone! She does look better now, more refined and less of a slapper!

Ginger.2.jpg by playswithlight, on Flickr