Moreton Bay Fig
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

Moreton Bay Fig

by Plays with Light » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:55 pm

The roots of a Moreton Bay Fig at the Adelaide Botanic Gardens.

Back To My Roots by playswithlight, on Flickr
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Moreton Bay Fig

by Doug » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:21 am

These are a favorite subject of mine.
    One thing I found in playing with the PP was I could accentuate the form of the roots by leaving the highlight and darkening the mids and shadow a bit.
    Nice rendition of the texture here though.

PS: this one looks more effective to me as is on the other site that has the dark grey back ground.
    I have a mid grey back ground in both LR and Silver Efex and sometimes I find my edits don't translate as well on white afterwards, do you find this?
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:14 am

Doug wrote:These are a favorite subject of mine.
    One thing I found in playing with the PP was I could accentuate the form of the roots by leaving the highlight and darkening the mids and shadow a bit.
    Nice rendition of the texture here though.

PS: this one looks more effective to me as is on the other site that has the dark grey back ground.
    I have a mid grey back ground in both LR and Silver Efex and sometimes I find my edits don't translate as well on white afterwards, do you find this?

There is an amazing capture of these type of tree roots by Peter Hill on flickr. I haven't taken the PP that far, I thought I would start off with a "neutral" depiction that still shows dimension and then progressively go to town on it. The timing for this was excellent as there is this natural gradient of light from dark to light over the roots to play with. His style is quite high contrast and that's where I am heading for some of my captures.

I find Photoshop and Lightroom are pains for having the darker background defaults, I use a lighter grey these days. I tried as an experiment ages ago, editing on a white surround, then the same pictures on a darker surround and it was amazing how differently things came out.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:02 pm

The Peter Hill shot is pretty cool. I though it looked a bit HDR, but he says it is three stitched lens shifts.

I was drawing my inspiration from this one http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la- ... z2rYLK6zsk

It is surprising how inconsistent the look of this picture is when you do an image search of it. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=grou ... B494%3B600

Perhaps he did a lot of different darkroom treatments of it, or there is a lot of sloppy digital archiving out there and perhaps a few unofficial ones.

I find Photoshop and Lightroom are pains for having the darker background defaults, I use a lighter grey these days. I tried as an experiment ages ago, editing on a white surround, then the same pictures on a darker surround and it was amazing how differently things came out.

Actually my Photoshop is a darker grey than LR now that I look at them open at the same time, I'll have to look for a lighter PS back ground option.
    I never likes the original white only PS default.

One thing I notice if I decide last thing to do a bit of vignetting on a B+W I have to go back and reedit the levels that a moment ago I thought looked just right.
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Doug wrote:The Peter Hill shot is pretty cool. I though it looked a bit HDR, but he says it is three stitched lens shifts.

I see his pieces as high-contrast/fine-artsy, because they don't have any grit to them.

Doug wrote:I was drawing my inspiration from this one http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la- ... z2rYLK6zsk

It is surprising how inconsistent the look of this picture is when you do an image search of it. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=grou ... B494%3B600

Perhaps he did a lot of different darkroom treatments of it, or there is a lot of sloppy digital archiving out there and perhaps a few unofficial ones.

I can see why that would be inspirational. It looks like a bunch of Koi fish in a pond at feeding time to me!

Doug wrote:Actually my Photoshop is a darker grey than LR now that I look at them open at the same time, I'll have to look for a lighter PS back ground option.
    I never likes the original white only PS default.

One thing I notice if I decide last thing to do a bit of vignetting on a B+W I have to go back and reedit the levels that a moment ago I thought looked just right.

In Silver Efex you can toggle the background through black, white and grey if you hit the little lightbulb on the top right. I wish it was that simple in Photoshop!

Getting tonality just right is such an individual thing. Then when you throw it out into the wild interweb, you have over-saturated monitors and unbalanced colour-spaces that folks are viewing them on and with, not to mention peoples lighting and eyesight! Plus sites like flickr adding their own treatment to everything that's hosted by them! I started looking at colour management a while ago and quickly climbed out of the rabbit-hole! When I get to a stage of printing, I know it's gonna do my head in! I'll just stick with calibrating my monitor and posting to the interweb in stock standard sRGB 2.1. I think they are up to version 9.x now! I was reading about a new colour space that's supposed to be knocking AdobeRGB out of the running, giving us jpegs on steroids.
    Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Doug » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:55 pm

In Silver Efex you can toggle the background through black, white and grey if you hit the little lightbulb on the top right. I wish it was that simple in Photoshop!

I've just had a play in PS using Edit/Preferences/Interface.
    The Dark grey colour theme matches for menus what I prefer in LR, but the picture surround colour is a lot darker.
    To change that I made a scene grab of the LR background grey using Windows 7 snip tool, saved that and loaded it as an picture in PS.

Then back in Edit/Preferences/Interface I used the "colour" drop boxes and picked "select custom colour"/"colour libraries" and then the "pick button" to eye drop copy the colour of the LR back ground sample picture.

Bit of messing round like you say but its done now.