The Gap Is This Wide
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

The Gap Is This Wide

by Plays with Light » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:40 am

I had no idea where to stick this one, its subject is architectural but the message is political. :?

North Terrace, Adelaide. On the right, we have the Queen Adelaide Club, described by one of its presidents as a place for "a few women who wanted a social centre with a certain standard of living and were prepared to pay for it" and on the left, we have an abandoned, but beautiful building, that housed a mob of artistic squatters until recently. Therefore, the gap between the "Haves" and the "Others" has not widened and is merely the width of this laneway. Now if only we could get in to measure it...

The Gap Is This Wide by playswithlight, on Flickr
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

Re: The Gap Is This Wide

by W G » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:55 am

Alex,

Your perception and desire to inform through your photography is a much needed jolt in the arm for any imaging forum, and especially this one.

I think you should look critically and find a way to present the motif more succinctly to make it rely less on the caption.

A wider view rendering a more defined GAP (like a knife incision) would help. At the moment the buildings and the gap are too similar in weight to really get any particular point across, in my eyes. I think that full sunlight in the gap could be good and remember, signage can be your friend — even if the signage is simply a broken pane in the art squat building. At present the ornamental carved frieze and the defined lintel on the squat building are, in fact, making it look the more salubrious edifice.

Keep at it.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    Plays with Light
    Reporter
    Reporter

by Plays with Light » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:43 am

W G wrote:I think you should look critically and find a way to present the motif more succinctly to make it rely less on the caption.

A wider view rendering a more defined GAP (like a knife incision) would help. At the moment the buildings and the gap are too similar in weight to really get any particular point across, in my eyes. I think that full sunlight in the gap could be good and remember, signage can be your friend — even if the signage is simply a broken pane in the art squat building. At present the ornamental carved frieze and the defined lintel on the squat building are, in fact, making it look the more salubrious edifice.

Keep at it.

Thank you so much, Walter. I was lost at the time, in how to try and get it across effectively. Hence this initial exploration of the theme. I'll be back to look at it differently tomorrow. I'll check the P.E. to see when the sun fills the lane, so I get that.

The "ladies club" is very plain to look at, no signage or drawing attention to itself at all. 99.9% of passersby have no idea what lies within. On the other side are some interesting things in a few windows still. I may have to photoshop them into a closer window, depending how far I can shift to the left without getting run over. I was right on the edge of the verge when I took this one above.

It was the absurdity of the "ladies club" having no adornments and the "squat" having them that initially tickled my funny bone. Just need to find me a strung out junkie and a lady of the manor to set the scene... Maybe have them both rolling craps in the alley... :roll:

It's definitely harder to achieve without people in the scene. This is a good exercise for me... :doubt:
    Feedback and honest, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:29 pm

Hahahaha, Alex,

For the first time in years you have prompted thoughts of 'ladies' of a certain caste relishing in a spot of 'rough trade'.
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
    DJT
    Reporter
    Reporter

by DJT » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:11 pm

W G wrote:Alex,

Keep at it.

Awesome bit of advice Walter. To yourself it may seem matter of fact and maybe something that PWL may have known but not thought of at the time, but to me a lot of your comments turn on another light in the dark caverns of my not so seeing mind.
    Of course it's all in the interpretation of the picture taker at the time, but it's also great to hear how others would have / could have taken the photo.
    Makes sense to me :roll:
    David
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:06 am

DJT wrote:Awesome bit of advice Walter. To yourself it may seem matter of fact and maybe something that PWL may have known but not thought of at the time, but to me a lot of your comments turn on another light in the dark caverns of my not so seeing mind.
    Of course it's all in the interpretation of the picture taker at the time, but it's also great to hear how others would have / could have taken the photo.
    Makes sense to me :roll:

I see comments like that and think "well duh" Completely agree but can't flick the switch once my eye is to the view finder.
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott