Dispersing into the wind... (First "completed" work)
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

Dispersing into the wind... (First "completed" work)

by beeb » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:19 pm

This is sort of in a transitional phase between the recent "Tests" and creating "finalised works". This is complete/finished, but there's a few little niggles that come from developing new techniques on the editing side that mean I'll be aiming to polish the images a little better as things progress. Pretty happy for an initial attempt though, but feel free to point out stuff I've probably missed... :lol:

Doug
    Reporter
    Reporter

Re: Dispersing into the wind... (First "completed" work)

by Doug » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:38 am

Cool effect.
    I'm thinking when you say "dispersing" into the wind, you mean the figure is in the middle of dissolving from solid to smoke.
    To that effect the only thing I can think of as an improvement is to find a way to give more of an impression of a transition happening between the two states.
    That fold running down the figures side would be a good way to do it since it looks solid, but if parts of it looked like they are dissolving it would better show a transition.

How is another matter, a bit of warp and blur on those well defines shadow lines, some transparency of the cloak in that area at ground level might work.

No idea how to do these things, I'm just an ideas man :)
  • W G
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by W G » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:25 am

beeb wrote:This is complete/finished,

An incredibly dangerous and limiting claim for any 'work'. Not that I am a fan of Ansel Adams at all but looking at the work of his lifetime the interpretation of his dalliances changed considerably though his lifetime. And the completion of any artwork is, in reality, out of the hands of the creator of the piece and solely in the mind of each viewer.

Having said that, I see this as an embryonic formulation of an idea — very much a work in progress. The first thing that struck me was that the vapour (smoke) at ground level behind the figure is distracting bright and could be toned down to reflect the fall off of light as it extends from the source. There is a rewarding soft translucency to the vapour closer to the rear of the figure which is absent from the patch on the ground. To my mind, the highest, strongest, values ought to be the left side of the cowled figure Some vestige of a chin and, perhaps, nose might also compensate for the lack of an ethereal nature to the figure.

In general, each of the elements of the scene are visibly separate and distinct and give the impression of an assembly of component images rather than a seamless whole. It currently appears that there is a column of smoke adjacent to a standing figure — the sense of dispersal doesn't hit me. But you possibly will hit me. LOL.

In the hope that you take these comments constructively,
    Walter Glover

"Photography was not a bastard left by science on the doorstep of art, but a legitimate child of the Western pictorial tradition." —Robert Galassi
  • beeb
    Golden Cow
    Golden Cow

by beeb » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:00 am

Haha, no problem Walter. No offence intended so none taken. :)

FYI, I'm not saying "That's it - I'm finished with this style of editing", merely - "I'm done with this particular image". It's a general approach I have to my work (as a whole) - I rarely re-edit images, I prefer to learn from any mistakes, and try to improve as I develop. I was aware of most of the flaws you guys have outlined, but at this stage I'm still getting to grips with the layer mask/custom brush and layer compositing techniques I'm using for this effect. I could see some of the smoke areas were too bright, but when I tryed to pull the tones down the three-dimensional appearance was lost, so I went with dimension over tone perfection. Similar issue with blending the smoke into the sides of the cloak, it's lack of experience stopping me from being able to pull it off convincingly (yet... :twisted: ). I felt this was a good point to stop, as even though not "perfect", it felt coherant - and rather than risk losing that with extra complexity I decided to call this image done.

I will still be toiling away behind the scenes experimenting with the techniques required, and definitely have more images planned. But for a self-modelled first attempt (well third really, but first published and first working with a smoke effect), it's a nice starting point.

Thanks for the feedback fellas, I try to stay 'detached' and see my images as the viewer would - and this kind of feedback helps me know if I'm staying objective or not. :wink: You guys are hard markers, but always fair. :)