Look over this one and add insights please
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

Look over this one and add insights please

by Ken182 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:44 am

Okay my current situation is this: I am on the road for a while, however using a D700 and a G10 both on RAW has filled my lappage to the brim so I have put this hardware together.

Macbook current model with 150 gig HD as it is running OSX 10.5 I have been using Time machine.

The TM HD is known as a Time Capsule, the TC is a 2.5" drive inside a little alloy case with a firewire brain stem and power running off a USB 2 port to eleviate the need for another power pack. It contains a 150gig EIDE hd as I couldn't source the same case/interface in SATA.

This has worked well and let me sleep at night and travel without growing old. On the plane the laptop travels with me the backup in my luggage, however we are in London for a while and I need to clear up some room for work space.

I have sourced 2 Buffalo 500gig HD's at 53 quid each. I have one set up as the "Work" and one set up as the "Backup" the software that came in the box does a very good job at auto backup and is easy to readjust if I want to cover anything else.

The little Time Capsule HD will only be used to do a backup now of System files and documents and when I get my shipping soon I will dig out my OSX DVD and make it into a remote boot disc and TC.

I am about to point lightroom at the external HD so when I suck in new images they go onto the WORK HD and are backed up automatically onto the BACKUP HD

I am about to also convert everything to DNG and will only suck in DNG's for now on as having NEF and CR2 is driving me a little silly.

Okay the question is - do you see a flaw in this plan or do you have suggestion to make it betterer (its the 26th so I have to speak OZ) thnaks in advance gang.

DID I mention I have taken 70gigs of images since October last year :oops:
    In a forum, no one can hear you scream!

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/
    Busiboy
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Busiboy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:25 am

Sounds to me like a comprehensive solution.

70 Gigs, not too bad at all, i would have been lucky to shoot 7 gigs in the last month. :(
    *PPOK*
    C&C always welcome

Scott
    matt
    Reporter
    Reporter

by matt » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:29 pm

Seems like a fair plan. I cant see any problems at this stage.

The buffalo units are they 2.5 or 3.5 drives? With the 2.5 like your time capsule you would no issues with power pack voltages while traveling, If this is a concern?

MATT
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:59 pm

matt wrote:Seems like a fair plan. I cant see any problems at this stage.

The buffalo units are they 2.5 or 3.5 drives? With the 2.5 like your time capsule you would no issues with power pack voltages while traveling, If this is a concern?

MATT

The Buffalo's are a 3.5" SATA unit so that is why they are attractive. I don't think I will travel with the them but if I had to it would because I was in the one spot for a week or so and wasn't traveling by plane.

My main concern with the whole thing was data transfer while working, however once the units spin up there doesn't seem to be a lag with, say, Adobe Bridge, Lightroom looks okay as well. However the first wake up call can take a moment or two as I am used to everything I use being Firewire.

heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:55 pm

If you can spend more you should burn the pictures onto DVD or blu-ray ASAP and send them Home by mail. and do so progressively from now on.. You could land in the Hudson! :shock:
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:57 pm

heartyfisher wrote:If you can spend more you should burn the pictures onto DVD or blu-ray ASAP and send them Home by mail. and do so progressively from now on.. You could land in the Hudson! :shock:

I was in this head space when I was gunning for the dual external hard drive set up. It can stay at home when I hit the road to do more travel. The little system backup drive can go with me and I just have to point Time Capsule at the pictures folder again. Ultimately if all goes to hell in a hand basket I will most probably focus on remaining alive then grabbing cameras etc.

However I will be doing a lot of post now that I am set up so I will be doing some DVD/CD for longer term storage.

Haven't looked into Blu-Ray yet - whats the scoop on it.

• fillum

by fillum » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:58 pm

What's this backup stuff about Ken? You "Mac" guys are always telling us how they never break down! :shock: :lol:

On a serious note, you might want to consider physical security - theft / fire / (or as hearty mentions) plane crash / etc. Theft would be the most likely of these. Off-site backup is the most secure method but maintaining them is a bit of a pain - it might be worth just locking away the backup drive when you are finished for the day. Depends on whether / how big you feel the risk is.

Cheers.
    Phil.
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:32 am

fillum wrote:Off-site backup is the most secure method but maintaining them is a bit of a pain - it might be worth just locking away the backup drive when you are finished for the day. Depends on whether / how big you feel the risk is.
    Cheers.

Good call fillum. I guess I have had the things with me 24/7 that this hasn't come up, however when I am not here it would be worth placing the backup somewhere that is not here.

Will have to look into that.

cheers

heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:56 pm

What I meant was that you could loose all your gear in some unforeseen circumstances. in which case if you have sent a copy of all your photos/video home then you have kept the second most important thing( :D ) safe.
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.