Imac durability under stress ?
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

Imac durability under stress ?

by Dug » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:43 pm

Margo and I are planning to run away from home and hit the roads and tracks for a while in a caravan.

As we will be away for longish periods of time it will be helpful to process images while we are away.

Now a laptop would be the normal and boring thing to do but I am thinking I do not really need the batteries or portability of one if it will only be used in the van.

Does anyone have any ideas or comments on using say a 20" imac when we are camped and then storing it in a pelican case when we are on the road ?

I imagine the bumps could not be any worse than a normal delivery van just a little bit longer.

People run TVs in vans and they seem to go OK ?
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    Big Pix
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Big Pix » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:08 pm

I believe that the iMac 20 inch 2.66 has the better screen, some early 20 inch iMac's SCREENS were a bit of a worry.... the 24 inch iMac screen is fine..... more info here http://forums.mactalk.com.au/10/60545-u ... -imac.html

..... I travel now with a new macbook, the white one and cheapest and firewire, and find it fine. It is a lot better to work on than my old 12 inch Powerbook when on location..... also have 20 inch Apple screen which lives on my Power Mac but will work fine on the laptop if needed.

..... Must admit that I have taken the 24 inch iMac on location to process images, as I was in the same location for over 6 days and could set it up as a permanent setup. I travelled about 1200k on that trip with no bad effect on the iMac
    Cheers ....bp....

happy for the comments but
    .....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
    http://www.bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Big Pix wrote:I believe that the iMac 20 inch 2.66 has the better screen, some early 20 inch iMac's SCREENS were a bit of a worry.... the 24 inch iMac screen is fine..... more info here http://forums.mactalk.com.au/10/60545-u ... -imac.html

..... I travel now with a new macbook, the white one and cheapest and firewire, and find it fine. It is a lot better to work on than my old 12 inch Powerbook when on location..... also have 20 inch Apple screen which lives on my Power Mac but will work fine on the laptop if needed.

..... Must admit that I have taken the 24 inch iMac on location to process images, as I was in the same location for over 6 days and could set it up as a permanent setup. I travelled about 1200k on that trip with no bad effect on the iMac

thanks I think I may have problems if I leave home with the 24" imac.

comments would be made !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    Big Pix
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Big Pix » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:52 pm

....... get a bigger annex.... we all know you want to take the iMac, 4 inch's is not that much
    Cheers ....bp....

Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:14 pm

Big Pix wrote:....... get a bigger annex.... we all know you want to take the iMac, 4 inch's is not that much

What I WANT and what and I am game to suggest are 2 very different things :cry:

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:13 pm

I worked with a designer/developer in Adelaide for about 6 months and he used to drag his iMac into the office every day from home and take back there at night. He used the box and foam packing it came in and reinforced the box with Gaffa (is there anything Gaffa can't do).

As much as this was a half hour journey each way each day it had no ill effects on the iMac.

So a pelican could be overkill unless you are going serious off road or something like that.
    In a forum, no one can hear you scream!

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:37 pm

Ken182 wrote:I worked with a designer/developer in Adelaide for about 6 months and he used to drag his iMac into the office every day from home and take back there at night. He used the box and foam packing it came in and reinforced the box with Gaffa (is there anything Gaffa can't do).

As much as this was a half hour journey each way each day it had no ill effects on the iMac.

So a pelican could be overkill unless you are going serious off road or something like that.

Dust would be the main reason for the pelican case that and the packing reduces the worst of the vibrations. Always handy to have one about they are also quite secure if they are locked and chained in place.

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:19 pm

Dug wrote:Dust would be the main reason for the pelican case that and the packing reduces the worst of the vibrations. Always handy to have one about they are also quite secure if they are locked and chained in place.

yep, can't argue with that, its also a good place to hide the bodies of those who may try to nick you camera or iMac.
    In a forum, no one can hear you scream!

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:39 pm

Ken182 wrote:
    Dug wrote:Dust would be the main reason for the pelican case that and the packing reduces the worst of the vibrations. Always handy to have one about they are also quite secure if they are locked and chained in place.

yep, can't argue with that, its also a good place to hide the bodies of those who may try to nick you camera or iMac.

There are soooooo many isolated places out in the Australian bush.

Sooooooo many big dry hollow logs that burn slowly and completely.

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    dm_td5
    Cadet
    Cadet

by dm_td5 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:38 am

Dug,

I would strongly recommend a hard case like the Pelican or a wooden or metal case even if you aren't venturing off-road. Apart from the dust, already mentioned you need to make sure nothing can give the screen a good whack even with foam around it.

The other two issues you will face are vibrations on the hard drive (even though its not running) which will be worse if you are doing dirt tracks and for this a laptop is better built. Secondly the issue of power supply, I would strongly recommend getting a power conditioner for the caravan if you don't already have one. This will ensure you get the right volts and hertz when parked up. If you are going to be running through a generator or DC->AC inverter, then make sure it is a pure sine wave inverter.
    Derek - Nikon, Manfrotto, RRS, Apple *- PPOK -*
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:14 am

A quick point on laptops, they draw much less power than a desktop PSU.

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
    Big Pix
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Big Pix » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:24 am

these look good......

http://www.ilugger.com/
    Cheers ....bp....

LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:08 am

Just get a good laptop !!!
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:34 pm

LOZ wrote:Just get a good laptop !!!

I would but a 17" titanium mac powerbook is over $5,000

and I am a cheapskate who prefers to do things another way :D

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:47 pm

Dug wrote:
    LOZ wrote:Just get a good laptop !!!

I would but a 17" titanium mac powerbook is over $5,000

and I am a cheapskate who prefers to do things another way :D

Buy a normal laptop then, much cheaper than an Apple McWhatever :D