What software to use?
    hockysa

What software to use?

by hockysa » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:39 am

Hey guys, still quite new to photography.

Was wondering what software do you use to process RAW photo files?

What's preferred for either in terms of editing power or ease of use.
    Cost if applicable.
    Unique features of a particular product.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:45 am

If you own a Canon use the software suite that came with the camera. It is free and it is usable and gives a good result.

If you have Nikon Capture NX2 is not bad but I haven't used it a lot but it also gives a good result. You have to buy it.

Sony, Pentax and Olympus I am not knowledgeable about, however other forum members may know.

If you are semi pro or pro, and use a Mac, think about:

Adobe Lightroom: I became a solid believer after doing a David Harradine course early last year, V 2.0 is even better. The ability of this software to handle thousands of images effortlessly is astounding.

Aperture 2: Although I am a Macphile of the worst kind and love their Video editing software I just seem to have missed the hook with Apeture, it could be the fact that I use Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Bridge so Lightroom just works with them no hassles.

Capture: A great bit of software that I have stopped trying to keep up with, it could be that I could get some hands on training with Lightroom or it could be to do with the complete arrogant cock from Land P in Sydney who look down his nose at me because I questioned the validity of Hassleblad. I was even considering buying one until then.

Windows users: Just kill yourself now and let the pain end.

Please understand that Photoshop is a artistic based software for final post production of an image and Bridge is a tool for looking at any and all files in a folder. Lightroom, defiantley, and I believe Aperture where made specifically for use by photographers.

So Bridge is slow but useful, Photoshop is tweaking final output and Lightroom and Aperture are databasing, fast sorting, exposure levels, colour balance, export files to output or web or whatever.

hope this helps.
    In a forum, no one can hear you scream!

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:20 am

Lots of options..You need to tell us more.. to help us provide meaningful answers...
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:20 am

heartyfisher wrote:Lots of options..You need to tell us more.. to help us provide meaningful answers...

Why would we do that, are you going soft because it is the weekend?

bigdazzler
    Cadet
    Cadet

by bigdazzler » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:27 am

I use Aperture on a 24" imac .. no complaints here :D
    Darren.
    CC please. PP OK.
    My RedBubble .. http://darrengray.redbubble.com
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:36 am

bigdazzler wrote:I use Aperture on a 24" imac .. no complaints here :D

Big D, maybe elaborate a just bit more so we all can learn a little more about Aperture.

bigdazzler
    Cadet
    Cadet

by bigdazzler » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:55 am

mate to be honest I havent had it too long so im not sure im using it to its potential just yet, still learning my way around it. Ive been using it for RAW processing and DAMing and I have yet to find anything that it wont do capably for me. The RAW processor seems accurate enough for WB, contrast and colour adjustments and the ITPC metadata, keywording and rating features are very handy for cataloging. Its all seems pretty seamless so far. Importing is quick enough, I imported 500 odd RAW images into my macbook by the side of the road on the weekend and it took about 5 mins ..

From what I understand its pretty similar to LR (which Ive never used so its only hearsay) so I guess if one was using PS or CS or anything else Adobe you might lean towards LR but if youre a mac user and want to stick with Apple, Aperture is a readily capable alternative ..
    Darren.
    CC please. PP OK.
    My RedBubble .. http://darrengray.redbubble.com
    Big Red
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Big Red » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:36 am

i use Adobe CS3 ... most others use it or know how so its easy to ask questions about it ... that helps heaps.

Pentax use Silkypix
    only ever used it to convert and read RAW files until adobe updated to the latest version
    hockysa

by hockysa » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:37 am

Ken182 wrote:If you own a Canon use the software suite that came with the camera. It is free and it is usable and gives a good result.

If you have Nikon Capture NX2 is not bad but I haven't used it a lot but it also gives a good result. You have to buy it.

Sony, Pentax and Olympus I am not knowledgeable about, however other forum members may know.

If you are semi pro or pro, and use a Mac, think about:

Adobe Lightroom: I became a solid believer after doing a David Harradine course early last year, V 2.0 is even better. The ability of this software to handle thousands of images effortlessly is astounding.

Aperture 2: Although I am a Macphile of the worst kind and love their Video editing software I just seem to have missed the hook with Apeture, it could be the fact that I use Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Bridge so Lightroom just works with them no hassles.

Capture: A great bit of software that I have stopped trying to keep up with, it could be that I could get some hands on training with Lightroom or it could be to do with the complete arrogant weewee from Land P in Sydney who look down his nose at me because I questioned the validity of Hassleblad. I was even considering buying one until then.

Windows users: Just kill yourself now and let the pain end.

Please understand that Photoshop is a artistic based software for final post production of an image and Bridge is a tool for looking at any and all files in a folder. Lightroom, defiantley, and I believe Aperture where made specifically for use by photographers.

So Bridge is slow but useful, Photoshop is tweaking final output and Lightroom and Aperture are databasing, fast sorting, exposure levels, colour balance, export files to output or web or whatever.

hope this helps.

lol gg... I'm a windows user. What is it exactly that the windows OS lacks?

I am far from pro, I have only just started taking photos (I won't say photography due to the fact that what I'm doing has no theory behind it) but I intend on pursuing this hobby till I reach some sort of semi pro level.

I intend on getting a Macbook but not anytime soon. Is there any online resources that I could read on how to use teh Mac OS? I'm a bit of a geek so I could probably figure it out on my own without doing those Mac courses (So I think). I also prefer reading and doing things at my own pace.

I'm still currently reading up on lighting and trying my best, but I'm feeling I should do a course in photography. Any recommendations??
  • fillum

by fillum » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:38 am

Adobe (and I assume most other companies) provide free trial versions from their website - give 'em a try a see what you like.

I love Capture NX2, but not sure how good it would be for non-Nikon shooters. I still need to use Photoshop (I use old version of Elements) for some stuff (e.g. adding borders, some effects).
    Phil.
    hockysa

by hockysa » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:57 am

fillum wrote:Adobe (and I assume most other companies) provide free trial versions from their website - give 'em a try a see what you like.

I love Capture NX2, but not sure how good it would be for non-Nikon shooters. I still need to use Photoshop (I use old version of Elements) for some stuff (e.g. adding borders, some effects).

Well I definitely like Photoshop, so I'm just assuming the other Adobe products will compliment each other.

Is there any specific features you like about Capture NX2?

I'm a Canon use btw
    Ken182
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Ken182 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:11 am

hockysa wrote:
    fillum wrote:Adobe (and I assume most other companies) provide free trial versions from their website - give 'em a try a see what you like.

Well I definitely like Photoshop, so I'm just assuming the other Adobe products will compliment each other.

Is there any specific features you like about Capture NX2?

I'm a Canon use btw

have you tried the software that came with your camera?

• avkomp

by avkomp » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:47 am

the main thing that nikon capture nx2 does for you is that it can convert nikon raw files better than anything else.

particularly so if you are using the newer nikons that have picture control settings.
    These seem proprietary and the other programs seem not to be able to handle.

NX2 seems to be able to handle wider dynamic range and has the ability to recover highlights better.

for the highest quality result, I generally convert my raws in nx2 and save as tif files and do any other work in photoshop.

for sports stuff or other situations where you are turning out heaps of pix,
    lightroom, bibble etc seem to be able to get lots of pix done in short time.
    having said that, you would want to be getting consistent results on your pix to start with to get maximum benefit
    NikonUser
    Cadet
    Cadet

by NikonUser » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:29 pm

I've played around with both Lightroom 2.0 and Capture NX 2.

I really tried to like the Capture NX interface but just couldn't get used to it and the slowness that came with it (Quad core, 8GB ram, seperate cache disks etc).

I currently use Lightroom 2.0 and love it. I do occasionally go back to NX2 just for another try (I do like the images I get out of it!!) but most of my stuff gets done in Lightroom these days.

I think it's all down to personal preference.

Paul
    If I had more gear I'd definately be a better photographer!... Definately!

http://www.AustralianNaturePhotography.com
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:36 pm

Guys.. he shoots with the other brand camera.. Capture NX is of no use to him :-) although I think He should switch to Nikon... Then he wont have any problems using Capture NX or any problems in general... :lol:
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.