Problem with Bridge/ Photoshop
  • fats

Problem with Bridge/ Photoshop

by fats » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi, this is my first post here after being pointed here by a mate.

I actually have a heap of other questions to ask , but today I ran into a particularly annoying problem that I cant solve.

I have been post processing a whole heap of RAW's from a recent holiday and my workflow is as follows;

- From Bridge open the file in Camera RAW (16 bit),
    - Make changes in Camera RAW (generally only using the 'Basic' tab),
    - Open the file in Photoshop,
    - Apply USM (sometimes selective), dodge and burn etc, and
    - Convert from 16 bit to 8 bit and save as a jpeg (highest quality).

In one case I did some selective sharpening and I saved it as a PSD before flattening the image and saving as a jpeg.

When I viewed the files using the Bridge slidshow I noticed that none of my sharpening was present in the jpegs but was in the PSD. After double checking that I had saved correctly I tried saving as a 16 bit tif also - same problem.

The thing is, when I view the files using picassa viewer everything is fine. The tifs and jpegs have a little more colour and contrast than the PSD for some reason, but the sharpening is all honkey dorey. So it seems to be just Bridge displaying the photo wrong.

Has anyone else noticed this? Am I doing something wrong? This is very frustrating.

Sorry for such an epic first post. Hopefully in time I can contribute to this site. For now I am not sure I can add much - I am fairly new to it all.

Also, sorry if this has been covered before but I didnt even know what to search for.

Thanks,

Anthony
    leek
    Reporter
    Reporter

by leek » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:55 pm

No... haven't noticed that... What exactly do you mean by selective sharpening?
    Cheers,
    John
    RB | F! | dA | FB
    wulos
    Cadet
    Cadet

by wulos » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:13 pm

One important thing to realise about bridge is that it is not designed as a detailed image viewer. tis designed to give you a quick overview of images to enable filtering prior to editing.
    From experience the previews inside of bridge are still a little on the softside - when compared to opening the image inside of photoshot proper, or other viewing software.
    Main aim of Bridge is to give you a quick reckoning tool to view & sort images, rather then having to open full versions of each & every shot.
    Depending upon the version of Bridge you are running it will apply 'ACR defaults' to your RAW previews, whilst relying upon the 'conversion' settings(either incamera / post processing) for other file types.
    Another thing worth checking is what 'colour space / profile' you are saving the images in?
  • fats

by fats » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:34 pm

Thanks for the quick replys.

leek - I am just refering to using a layer mask in conjuntion with a duplicate layer and USM to achieve differing levels of sharpening throughout the image. I only called it selective sharpening because thats what they called it in the tutorial I read.

wulos - Adobe RGB. I hear what your saying about Bridge, but it does not explain the difference between the jpeg and the psd since I am viewing both of them with the same tool.

What do you guys recommend for image viewing?

Incidentaly - everything is A OK in lightroom.
    chappy

by chappy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:16 pm

Funnily enough, I have just bought Kelby's book on CS4 and have just started the first chapter, all about Bridge.

There is an option, just above the top right hand corner of the preview window, looks like a shaded sqaure with a drop down arrow, where you can select how bridge renders your thumbnails,
    If you have -
    "Prefer Embedded" selected it will render your thumbnail with the embedded image (the same as is used on the camera lcd)
    High Quality on Demand - loads a low res thumbnail and then a high res version when you click on the thumbnail
    Always High Quality - will generate a high quality thumbnail every time

Obviously the thumbnails load quicker from the top of this list to the bottom
    Cheers
    Mark
    *PPOK*
    I shoot Canon

http://photographingcq.com
    wulos
    Cadet
    Cadet

by wulos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:20 pm

As part of my own workflow I sometimes save PSD files, prior to saving as jpeg for output. jpeg's saved off the psd are shown the same on my bridge. I wonder if your seeing an earlier version of the file previously saved into the bridge cache (have you tried purging the cache?)
    Another thing worth trying is to save the psd & jpeg into a new folder. It may be picking up a influence from other files in the folder?
    I'm currently using irfanview for viewing images. Perhaps not the best out there, but it works for me, & being shareware is the right price.
  • fats

by fats » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:19 pm

wulos - I like your thinking regarding the cache, thats the sort of thing that it would be. How do I purge my cache?

I stumbled accross irfanviewer last night and it seems pretty good to me too.
  • Fusionize
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Fusionize » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:03 am

GO To tools/cache/purge