Laptop for photo editing?
  • spoonta

Laptop for photo editing?

by spoonta » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:47 pm

Hey guys,

My desk top has sadly died during the week.
    As it has been a few years already, i thought i'd replace it rather than repair it.

i'm not currently considering a laptop that does the job (i.e. photo editing with photoshop) but i'm not the expert in this regards, so needing your help! Open to any ideas, mac, pc, anything!

I know it's best to get a desktop, however, as i'd be moving a bit in the coming year or so (overseas), thought it'd just make life easier to get a laptop instead :)

So yeah guys, please help me out!

Many thanks!
    Spoonta
    Paparazzis are like snipers, hold breath, aim, snipe (snap*chikchak)....
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:10 pm

IS THE POPE A CATHOLIC :lol:

15" MacBook Pro and if you must use windoz programs split the HD and run both and never look back

:D
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
    JazzXP
    Cadet
    Cadet

by JazzXP » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:14 pm

LOZ wrote:IS THE POPE A CATHOLIC :lol:

15" MacBook Pro and if you must use windoz programs split the HD and run both and never look back

If you can afford it, this is the easiest solution. While I'm a geek and love getting into the internals of my computer (both software and hardware), I love my MacBook Pro.
    Nikon D5000 | Nikkor 18-55 | Nikkor 55-200 | Nikkor 50 f/1.4 | Tokina 12-24 f/4 | OLD Tamron 300mm (CT-300) | Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VRII
    General Photography
    Glamour Photography
  • spoonta

by spoonta » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:08 am

JazzXP wrote:
    LOZ wrote:IS THE POPE A CATHOLIC :lol:

If you can afford it, this is the easiest solution. While I'm a geek and love getting into the internals of my computer (both software and hardware), I love my MacBook Pro.

but what makes a macbook pro better?
    like, i can get a pc with better specs with a third of the price?
    any particular reasons why I should get a mac over a pc?

like specs? or functions?

any pc recommended?

don't mind getting a mac, infact i was prepared for to get one
    but been researching on PCs and realised i can surely get a pc with way better specs but a third price. so just wanted to make an informed decision :)
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:31 am

[quote="spoonta"]

but what makes a macbook pro better?

"If you need to ask your not ready yet" 8)
    Calm down its not real life its a internet forum:)
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:12 am

LOZ wrote:"If you need to ask your not ready yet" 8)

Well at least you put a happy face but overall that's the sort of smart a#^* comment that causes people to think that Mac owners are all wankers.

To the OP.

Don't be fooled by the specs on a Mac vs a PC. A Mac is a complete system and it works as a system including the OS. All components are designed to work in harmony and even though the paper specs often are less than those of PC's the actually operating performance is better.
    Macs are very good when it comes to photo editing and the MacBook Pro screens are way, way superior to most PC and Notebook screens. Go to a shop where you can play and get onto Flickr or somewhere and see what photos actually look like on a Mac screen.

For a PC it's all going to be in the components and how carefully you match them. If you want performance plus you will need to spend at least as much as a Mac particularly in the screen. No $200 screens will work. You will need a $1000+ IPS compatible screen or even something like a $2000+ Eizo if you are serious.
  • spoonta

by spoonta » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:33 am

K1W1 wrote:
    LOZ wrote:"If you need to ask your not ready yet" 8)

Well at least you put a happy face but overall that's the sort of smart a#^* comment that causes people to think that Mac owners are all wankers.

lol, that's actually what my gf said to me as well...

Thanks K1W1, as for PCs, any particular model suggestions?

of even how fast CPU and RAM?

I tried customising a Dell, ended up cost round the mac mark.

not that i mind the price or the brnad, but wanted to know my options.
    rather than just follow blindly into the apple brotherhood.

i read lots of forums, but they usually are inconclusive.

suprise how no companies make any photo editing specific laptops
  • Nitnat

by Nitnat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:59 am

I have always used home built PC's.

Ever since purchasing my 1st list of parts and assembling a machine that would run rings around anything from Harvey Norman for $1K less. I have never looked back.

If you have a friend, or family friend who is into PC's or PC gaming or PC photo editing. Ask them what you should do also.

Pick a budget, and say "build me the fully sickest pc".
    See what they can do.

I am not up to speed on which GPU's run better for photo editing and rendering etc, however if you are serious about saving money. Research is your answer.

May I suggest going here and typing in something like "Best cpu for photo editing?". If you are lucky you might get a response like this

At least it might get you started.

BTW, whoever you get to build your machine (if that is what you decide to do) buy them a carton of Corona! :lol:
  • Fusionize
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Fusionize » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:05 pm

K1W1 wrote:

Ahh, I generally find that most die hard mac fans are like die hard pc fans...wankers. lol. Sadly it seems MOST mac owners are die hard fans.

K1W1 wrote:
    For a PC it's all going to be in the components and how carefully you match them. If you want performance plus you will need to spend at least as much as a Mac particularly in the screen. No $200 screens will work. You will need a $1000+ IPS compatible screen or even something like a $2000+ Eizo if you are serious.

What the heck does a screen have to do with performance? My Calibrated 32" $650 LG LCD and ($250) 24 inch viewsonic BOTH represent on my screen what prints on paper. Why the heck would you spend more than you have to? I am not fussed how images look on my monitor, providing colour is right that is all you need. Who takes amonitor around to show clients images? I know top end pro's using CRT's still because they are more accurate than anything and require calibrating less often.

OP, check out MSY, thankfully a friend of mine has just redone their website and it is a lot nicer to look at. My system was just over $2500 and is running dual 1 gig cards, 8 gig ram (used for the bsd partition) multi terrabyte HDD's yada yada yada. Switching to mac is ok, but I personally prefer my software on PC's, tried a mac, disliked it for multiple reasons.
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Only go with a laptop if you need the portability. A lot of people buy them simply to be "one of the crowd" but the problem is every single laptop is about compromise, performance compromised for the sake of size, weight and portability. Apple, PC or whatever they all have to compromise, there's no way around it.

Having said that what you want to do (image editing) is not rocket science, you don't need the latest and greatest to be able to do it. If you were planning on playing the latest 3D FPS then maybe, but not for image editing.

If you decide to go the laptop route don't forget that you can plug in an additional monitor plus keyboard and mouse so at home you can use it like a desktop but still be able to take your machine on the road if the need arises.

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
    cowsgomoo
    Reporter
    Reporter

by cowsgomoo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:53 pm

I use a laptop (Windows XP) for when I'm away from home. While the speed is acceptable (for me) the big problem is the quality of the screen. When I went away for a week last year I ended up taking a 19" NEC LCD with me as well. The built in screen tends vary in brightness as you move your head and I have to redo most of the pics when I get home.

Next laptop I'll look closer at the screen before I buy. And it'll most likely be a Windows one of some sort because that's the "flavour" I'm used to.

I don't think you could really go wrong with a Mac for photo editing though. A Mac would probably have a better screen than some (most?) PC based laptops.
    David

*** PPOK ***
  • spoonta

by spoonta » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:01 pm

cowsgomoo wrote:I don't think you could really go wrong with a Mac for photo editing though. A Mac would probably have a better screen than some (most?) PC based laptops.

Someone did tell me, that the only trust worthy inbuilt screen is from Macs.

Guys, i'd love to get a desktop, but i'd be moving a bit, so have to comprimise to a laptop with no choice. purely for the portability. especially when you move overseas, think the last thing u want is to carry/ pack/ wire up/ boxing all the computer case, monitor, keyboard, wires, etc.... so laptop is my only choice really

any models to suggest, besides a Macbook pro 15"?
    like any specific models?

I have had a look at a few forums, they tend to suggest ACER or Asus, except some of the models they suggest are quite old already?

sorry to be a pain guys, just really trying to make an informed decision, rather than be a sheep?

to date, my only frustration that i've experienced, relates to the colors on the screen, and occationally the comp can't handle photoshop?
  • Fusionize
    Cadet
    Cadet

by Fusionize » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:16 pm

Spoonta, I have a HP DV7, 1 gig card, 64bit i7 etc. I love it. Plays games fine, I can process images at reception and have them match exactly what my desktop does.

As I said, tried Mac, disliked how much of a pain it was to get new software, learn different ways fo doing things etc. Was easier to stay with a Lappy that I could game on when bored while in a motel somewhere and do working videos on to display at a reception after a days shooting. Runs CS5 PS and LR3 no problem at all.

I love my ipad and iphone, but I will not have any other apple hardware:)
    mowog

by mowog » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:58 pm

I have 15" Mac Book pro that cost me $600... I dual boot windows and Mac on it and I have a 1TB USB drive for extra space.

It is now my mobile dark room for when I am away.

I cant even remember the last time I let it start in Mac mode...

The old thing does ok for off site stuff. But when I get home I use a real computer running 64bit win 7.
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:21 pm

How much do you want to spend? I think the Lenovo Thinkpad W series uses a decent screen, plus it has plenty of power.

They make nice ads anyway.

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.