So i buggered up Flickr...
    Chris Sitnik

So i buggered up Flickr...

by Chris Sitnik » Sat May 07, 2011 10:36 am

To cut a long story short I wasn't too happy that Google searching my name in Google images displayed pretty well everything from my Flickr account. I was more so worried that the people in some of my photos may not know that they are on the internet and may not like the fact. Anyway, I decided to see if I could change some permission settings in Flickr to hide my images form third party searches and all that jazz. This then made all my images on here and any other place that I have posted images to become "unavailable" yet they still appear in Google images.

Epic *facepalm* moment.

So, content that I wont be able to hide my images from the evil Google image search (in retrospect it's not that big a deal.. I mean, who's going to Google me except for me and my stalker?), I changed all the settings back to how they were aaaand now none of my images that I have previously posted will display on forums... Does anyone know if playing with these settings changes the image link url on Flickr permanently? Like I said I've put all the images back to the original settings yet none of them work. Any advice would be handy

Cheers fellas
    leek
    Reporter
    Reporter

by leek » Sat May 07, 2011 5:29 pm

I have no idea what might have happened, but the click thru link on your images still works and takes you to the right page, so that link hasn't changed.

Google Images is a cache, so it takes ages for images to disappear from there.

Which settings did you change in Flickr? I can check them against the ones that I have.
    Cheers,
    John
    RB | F! | dA | FB
  • Bungy

by Bungy » Sat May 07, 2011 5:51 pm

Looking at the settings in Flickr, the only one I can see that you would change is the one that asks

Hide your stuff from public searches
    Which says, when you click on the "?" - Hide your photos from API-based searches done outside of the Flickr website.

You may have to redo all the links, that is go through your posts and relink the images.
    I hope this isn't the case, but possible.

I have looked at a couple of your other posts and see the white box saying image is unavailable, but clicking on the box takes you to Flickr and you can see the image, so not a total loss...yet :)

Edit:Grammar
    Last edited by Bungy on Sat May 07, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Chris Sitnik

by Chris Sitnik » Sat May 07, 2011 6:15 pm

The main setting i changed was in account settings / privacy & permissions: Hide your stuff from public searches. There's an option for "Hide your photos from searches on 3rd party sites that use the API, including Yahoo! Image Search?" I ticked that and changed that setting on all my images in a batch process. I've since changed them all back but have had no luck on getting them to display properly. Apart from that all my other privacy settings are pretty well set to public with the exception of allowing others to share my stuff and allowing my stuff to be added to a gallery.
  • Bungy

by Bungy » Sat May 07, 2011 6:54 pm

I found this in the FAQ section

Can I make a public photo private again?

Yes. The privacy setting you associate with a photo is completely flexible. You can show or hide any photo anytime you like.

Note: Changing something from public to private will remove favourites that have accumulated. This is because a favourite is like a bookmark, and if you change the privacy so someone no longer has access, they shouldn't be able to view it any longer.

I assume it will work in reverse.
    So maybe you will have to relink.
    Go to one of your old posts with an image in it, say the balloon sunrise or someting, redo the link to first image and see what happens.
    Chris Sitnik

by Chris Sitnik » Sat May 07, 2011 7:58 pm

Well i have found the answer and unfortunately it means re linking everything if i want them to display. it seems it does change part of the BBcode, specifially the "img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5264/5581661984_199ebca069_z.jpg[/img" part. The numbered file name has changed? Weird. Either way that is the answer. Cheers for the help!
  • Bungy

by Bungy » Sat May 07, 2011 10:09 pm

Good to hear you have a solution to your problem.