I broke my laptop need advice
  • sclater29

I broke my laptop need advice

by sclater29 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:12 am

Bit of a long story I appolagise in advanced. Ok have a old laptop that I used as a traveling laptop for Internet and recently downloaded cs5, filled it full of photos and iTunes songs and of the 100gig hard drive I only had about 10 gig free, it's an old processor 1 gig ram running windows xp.

Know starting to do a lot of photoshop work the computer first said it ran out of virtual memory, I read online that you can allocate more hard drive space and increase the virtual memory, it's a cheap trick that slows the computer but you do it cause you don't have the capacity to install more ram ( this was only suppose to be a short term trick)

Next Photoshop jammed up and the computer error code said out of memory and crashed. Managed to get it going again and decided to change the settings that related to the virtual memory. Dialed in some changes and prompt for a restart came up so I followed it's league. Halfway through booting up the pc stopped and that's where it lies.......

I can restart the pc get to the boot menu i.e safe mode, restore previous working settings etc if you try any it crashes the next option is the f11 recovery screen and heres my options of which I don't know what to do"......bear with me

1.recover pc to a specific point in time-sub note changes made to the operating system configuration or applications after the creation of this recovery point or entire drive backup will be lost

2.recover pcs original factory installation and back up data-sub note the current windows installation, applications,files and data will be moved to the folder "backup" on your c:/ drive and your initial recovery point will be recovered. After recovery you may retrieve files from the " backup folder"

3. Recover pcs factory installed operating system ,drivers,utilities and applications- sub note this will remove all applications,drivers and user data added to the system since the factory installation

4.back up files- sub note save important files not already included in the entire drive backup or recovery point

Ok lecture me later but I don't have a reboot or backup of any kind sine purchasing and laptop is about 4-5 years old worth of documents Picts emails etc. Which I would like to keep all but happy to write laptop off cause it's time for an upgrade.

Do I press one of these buttons and try and get it going again or do I leave it ,buy an external hard drive reader and just copy hard drive to new laptop??? Any help greatly appreciated
    canon 5Dmk2, EF24-105L IS USM,Ef16-35 f2.8L II USM,Ef 70-300 f4-5.6L IS USM, photo shop cs5, photomatix.http://www.flickr.com/photos/sclater29/
  • Nitnat

Re: I broke my laptop need advice

by Nitnat » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:23 am

sclater29 wrote:leave it ,buy an external hard drive reader and just copy hard drive to new laptop???

May or may not be as simple as that, but I feel it IS your best chance of keeping your data.

As the machine is 4-5 years old, and you mentioned you had 10gb free. A fresh install and backing up would be your best option if you were desperate (ie- no money, or ability to purchase a new laptop).

In my experience, old data is more valuable to me than a day or two's wait while things are all sorted out.

I advise the cautionary approach, as I dearly value data (which of course you will back up in triplicate via a grandfather, father, son approach in future? :) )

Matt
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:40 am

Buy a Mac :wink:
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    Dalzine
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

by Dalzine » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:55 am

Steps 2 and 3 will lose your data, so i would stay away from those. Step 1 may work, step 4 will definitely work.

I had a similar issue on the weekend with my Mum's computer, turns out it was a virus and a USB device that were the problems. Once the USB devices were removed it could boot up, very very slowly. Once the virus was removed it was back to it's old self.

Dale.
    Will build websites for 'L' glass.
  • sclater29

by sclater29 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:59 am

Yeah I am considering a Mac since my windows pcs cause alot of problems as a lot of peoples do, this was my back up laptop, spent $5k on a top speced Dell xps only for it to fry the graphics card 2 years later rendering the pc not viable to repair,

so this laptop a hp think pad picked up the slack for a bit then I got a Sony vaio to replace the Dell and only got about halfway transferring data as I constantly took the hp traveling it ended up with too much info on it, before I left aus I put the Sony in storage because the hp had the info I needed, should have finished transferring and bought the Sony.

Was thinking of getting an alien ware laptop but they have now teamed up with Dell so I'm not as keen, not to mention I love laptops versatility but when I get home I'm going to build a custom desktop so I might just buy an average laptop to keep me going for now so the Mac might be a candidate, even though I will have to run windows on it ( compatability issues with a certain program I use)
    canon 5Dmk2, EF24-105L IS USM,Ef16-35 f2.8L II USM,Ef 70-300 f4-5.6L IS USM, photo shop cs5, photomatix.http://www.flickr.com/photos/sclater29/
  • sclater29

by sclater29 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:06 am

Dalzine wrote:Steps 2 and 3 will lose your data, so i would stay away from those. Step 1 may work, step 4 will definitely work.

I had a similar issue on the weekend with my Mum's computer, turns out it was a virus and a USB device that were the problems. Once the USB devices were removed it could boot up, very very slowly. Once the virus was removed it was back to it's old self.

Dale.

My 2c on virus protection if you care is a program called eset security gotta download from net but by far the best,avg also do an ok program for free,avoid anything in a shop mcafee norton etc.
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:35 am

get a MAC
    Dug
    Senior Photojournalist
    Senior Photojournalist

by Dug » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:44 am

sclater29 wrote:Yeah I am considering a Mac since my windows pcs cause alot of problems as a lot of peoples do, this was my back up laptop, spent $5k on a top speced Dell xps only for it to fry the graphics card 2 years later rendering the pc not viable to repair,

so this laptop a hp think pad picked up the slack for a bit then I got a Sony vaio to replace the Dell and only got about halfway transferring data as I constantly took the hp traveling it ended up with too much info on it, before I left aus I put the Sony in storage because the hp had the info I needed, should have finished transferring and bought the Sony.

Was thinking of getting an alien ware laptop but they have now teamed up with Dell so I'm not as keen, not to mention I love laptops versatility but when I get home I'm going to build a custom desktop so I might just buy an average laptop to keep me going for now so the Mac might be a candidate, even though I will have to run windows on it ( compatability issues with a certain program I use)

And while you are changing over, Buy a NIKON as well :lol: :lol: :lol:

welcome to the light side :wink:
    "Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be."

Edward Weston

( Total NIKON bigot )

PPOK
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:26 pm

"Buy a mac" ! LOL..

Easy solution. Use Linux !! LOL

No .. seriously. Go download a Ubuntu Linux iso image and burn it to a CD. Then boot off it. You will then be able to access all your files and copy them to an external usb harddisk. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

Hope this helps.

The link below explains the steps.. but there is a new version of Ubuntu that looks slightly different (11.10) however the steps are the same. (You can also download the older version 10.4 which looks the same as the screenshots in the link below.)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... -computer/

Once you have copied your data safely to an external drive.. You can reinstall windows on your laptop.. or maybe.. :-) install linux :-) and buy a nikon ! :-)

Good luck !

PS link to Review of new Ubuntu .. http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-ocelot.html
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
  • sclater29

by sclater29 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:59 am

heartyfisher wrote:"Buy a mac" ! LOL..

No .. seriously. Go download a Ubuntu Linux iso image and burn it to a CD. Then boot off it. You will then be able to access all your files and copy them to an external usb harddisk. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

Hope this helps.

The link below explains the steps.. but there is a new version of Ubuntu that looks slightly different (11.10) however the steps are the same. (You can also download the older version 10.4 which looks the same as the screenshots in the link below.)

Once you have copied your data safely to an external drive.. You can reinstall windows on your laptop.. or maybe.. :-) install linux :-) and buy a nikon ! :-)

Good luck !

PS link to Review of new Ubuntu .. http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-ocelot.html

Ok step one done bought a Mac book pro 15" 2.5ghz 750 gig hard drive 7200 rpm 4 gb ram. Lol bought it In Madrid from apple store the keyboard has a couple of extra keys but otherwise seems ok( takes a bit of getting used to apple vs windows will see long term how it goes) think it was about $3000 with $400 tax rebate.

will revisit shops tomorrow pick up a external hard drive and a blank cd to make the boot disk will let you know how I go cheers
  • K1W1
    Cadet
    Cadet

by K1W1 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:44 am

I can't believe the infantile "buy a Mac" and "buy a Nikon" comments that constantly pop on this forum. Get a life people either try to help the person with a problem or shut up but don't act like 2 year olds.

To the OP.
    Seeing as you have purchased a new computer you presumably don't want the old one so I would take it apart and remove the hard drive. Buy an empty 2.5" external hard drive container and put the HD from the original PC into that then connect it to your new computer and you will be able to see the directories with you data files and simply copy them to your new computer. You will have to reinstall all your programs anyway. Once you have recovered all the files you need you will be able to reformat the drive from your old PC and use it as a spare external drive if you want.
    You killed the old PC because you ran it out of space never fill a hard drive more than about 75% full if you want reliable performance from it.
    LOZ
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by LOZ » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:59 am

K1W1 wrote:I can't believe the infantile "buy a Mac" and "buy a Nikon" comments that constantly pop on this forum. Get a life people either try to help the person with a problem or shut up but don't act like 2 year olds.

To the OP.
    Seeing as you have purchased a new computer you presumably don't want the old one so I would take it apart and remove the hard drive. Buy an empty 2.5" external hard drive container and put the HD from the original PC into that then connect it to your new computer and you will be able to see the directories with you data files and simply copy them to your new computer. You will have to reinstall all your programs anyway. Once you have recovered all the files you need you will be able to reformat the drive from your old PC and use it as a spare external drive if you want.
    You killed the old PC because you ran it out of space never fill a hard drive more than about 75% full if you want reliable performance from it.

Must get it right its """ get a Mac""" not "buy a Mac"
    heartyfisher
    Photojournalist
    Photojournalist

by heartyfisher » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:12 am

sclater29 wrote:
    heartyfisher wrote:"Buy a mac" ! LOL..

Hope this helps.

Good luck !

Ok step one done bought a Mac book pro 15" 2.5ghz 750 gig hard drive 7200 rpm 4 gb ram. Lol bought it In Madrid from apple store the keyboard has a couple of extra keys but otherwise seems ok( takes a bit of getting used to apple vs windows will see long term how it goes) think it was about $3000 with $400 tax rebate.

will revisit shops tomorrow pick up a external hard drive and a blank cd to make the boot disk will let you know how I go cheers

oh a couple of traps to watch out for.
    1) After you have dowloaded your ubuntu cd image , remember that you need to burn the image to cd and not just copy the file to the cd. if you jsut copy the file to the cd it wont boot from it.
    2) in Ubuntu 11.10 its not "Places/Computer" its "Go/Computer" to get to your harddisks.
    Moments of Light : D7K D610 18-200 150 12-24 24-70 70-200 + C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.
  • sclater29

by sclater29 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:00 pm

i noticed that on the new mac book you can directly view raw files, is their an inbuilt program or has it converted them with out me knowing? oh by the way is their a need to run virus software on a amac?
  • biotcanon

by biotcanon » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:26 am

boot the machine into safe mode and tell us at what stage it stops.

1GB of RAM, no matter what machine you have, will cause you no end of problems :)